Apple

Apple Power G5 Vs Octane2 (NOISE CHALLENGE) - Page 1

FFS.. I was getting one of those cheapo Power G5 macs (I got for a tenner UKP) installed at work with no joy (possibly wrong install disk who knows) and it was like a mouse, I get it home, burn an Ubuntu or rather lunbuntu disk and boot up.. FFS IT'S FSCKING LOUDER THAN MY FSCKING LOUD OCTANE!!!!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
uunix wrote: Ubuntu

emmm, PowerPC-G5 means you'd better tune a gentoo stage3 into the proper stage4
you will get a speedup of different orders of magnitude :mrgreen:

the following is an Octane2 with 2xR14K@600Mhz, running linux kernel 2.6.17-rc4
it's slow because of the big kernel lock, but … linux sux on this machine
nbench is telling "lies" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Toshiba RISC 2xR14000 @ 600Mhz with FPU -> BogoMIPS 897.02+897.02

Code: Select all

TEST                : Iterations/sec.  : A1 Index    : A2 Index
--------------------:------------------:-------------:------------
NUMERIC SORT        :          346.24  :       8.88  :       2.92
STRING SORT         :          18.283  :       8.17  :       1.26
BITFIELD            :      8.0344e+07  :      13.78  :       2.88
FP EMULATION        :          27.519  :      13.20  :       3.05
FOURIER             :          6776.2  :       7.71  :       4.33
ASSIGNMENT          :          5.0623  :      19.26  :       5.00
IDEA                :          1241.6  :      18.99  :       5.64
HUFFMAN             :          494.07  :      13.70  :       4.38
NEURAL NET          :          4.6025  :       7.39  :       3.11
LU DECOMPOSITION    :           199.2  :      10.32  :       7.45
==========================BYTEMARK RESULTS==========================
INTEGER INDEX       : 13.099
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 8.378
MEMORY INDEX        : 2.630
INTEGER INDEX       : 3.848
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 4.646
hey oh? Swimming pool & Racing bicycle.
To be honest dude, I just want to know it works, then I'll install osx 10.4 server (Once I get in the loft and dig it out). And as I type this, I have desktop appear.. woo hoo. After 30 mins! There's only One Linus in my house and that's my firewall!
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
Well, I have some details on my machine..
CPU[s] PPC970MP 2.3GHz - Is this dual CPU?
Memory 2GB
Display NVidia GeForce 6600
No Disks shown, yet disk 1 is SSD and 2 is SATA
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
I dabbled with linux on my Power Mac G5 when I still had it. And it also did the Apple version of fastfan! I think it's because the G5's fan control system under linux hasn't been perfected yet. It was much quieter when I threw FreeBSD on it though. Congrats on your "new" G5!
:Fuel: rhaegar :MacBook: snow
uunix wrote: 30 mins

yep, Gentoo needs time, great results warranted

my RS/Pro (mips32, Atheros9) took 1 month to get tuned at my wishes (ram rootfs + kernel hack)
Cerberous (PowerPC 405GP) will take more time, because it's uclibC

p.s.
you can also "try" Morph/OS (it's Amiga like, free evaluation, ~130 euro for a life-time license)
ivelagacy.. NO FSCKING LINUX!!!!!
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
toasty wrote: I dabbled with linux on my Power Mac G5 when I still had it. And it also did the Apple version of fastfan! I think it's because the G5's fan control system under linux hasn't been perfected yet. It was much quieter when I threw FreeBSD on it though. Congrats on your "new" G5!

Thanks.. I've had it a few months now but it's been sat at work.
Slackware circa 1995 was the only Line-UCK I ever liked.
But it's running right now and is silent, and looks like if your were a man computer, then you'd have sex with this! So I think my manly IBM will probably begat the apple during the night and produce some aIppBleM's

Well, so much to do.. like get the drives recognized.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

MorphOS (aka Mos) is a lightweight, highly efficient and flexible desktop operating system. It includes primarily proprietary as well as open - source components. Its many features range from a modern exceptionally customizable graphical user interface, which can utilize 3D hardware acceleration, to a high-performance Just-in-Time compiler that emulates the 68k family of processors and thereby allows to transparently execute legacy applications developed for the Commodore Ax00 series of computers. You will find a selection of core components described below

I installed Mos on MDD (PowerMac [email protected]): great experience, I envy my friend (the machine is not mine, he asked me to prepare a dual boot, linux/Mos).

It's a nice OS, even if it misses great applications, you "could" find it interesting. It's fast, with a decent filesystem and interface.
Your machine is supported, you only have to check the video card.

Posted just to inform you about the alternative fun :mrgreen:
CPU PPC970MP 2.3GHz - Is this dual CPU?

Yes (more accurately it's dual core). This is the fastest air-cooled G5. The earlier dual processor 2.3 is slightly slower but has a better reliability track record, though both are solid machines.

IMHO, only the DP (and DC) 2.3 and the Quad are worth owning, the 2.3 because it's easier to maintain and less prone to problems, and the Quad because, well, it's the Quad.

I have not heard good things about Linux on the G5, mostly due to various things about the cooling system not being properly driven by the kernel. I'm sticking with Tiger on mine. If the fan is going gangbusters in it, it might just be Linux. Wouldn't hurt to refresh the thermal paste though.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
My wife came running in, half shock/half amazement, when I played with smcfancontrol on my mac pro and turned everything up all the way. Half power drill, half jet turbine, half lawnmower.

"I thought that thing didn't have any fans in it! What did you do??!"
ivelegacy wrote: Image

MorphOS (aka Mos) is a lightweight, highly efficient and flexible desktop operating system. It includes primarily proprietary as well as open - source components. Its many features range from a modern exceptionally customizable graphical user interface, which can utilize 3D hardware acceleration, to a high-performance Just-in-Time compiler that emulates the 68k family of processors and thereby allows to transparently execute legacy applications developed for the Commodore Ax00 series of computers. You will find a selection of core components described below

I installed Mos on MDD (PowerMac [email protected]): great experience, I envy my friend (the machine is not mine, he asked me to prepare a dual boot, linux/Mos).

It's a nice OS, even if it misses great applications, you "could" find it interesting. It's fast, with a decent filesystem and interface.

No, it's not supported. :cry: Only the "old" G5s (a1047, with PCI-X and AGP slots, not PCI-E) are supported. I've been fascinated by morphos but have no reason to use it.
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
guardian452 wrote: I've been fascinated by morphos but have no reason to use it

buy an old mac-mini-G4, it's the cheapest about the Mos's license
and about reasons to use it: to develop cool things in a new World, thousand light years away from the X11's Earth :D
(call me: mr Mo-s-tivator :mrgreen: )
ivelegacy wrote: Image

Isn't that the OS made by desperate mouthbreathing basement dwellers who believe that the Amiga still has a place in the market but can't actually afford the licensing fees to use the name AmigaOS?
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
pentium wrote: Isn't that the OS made by desperate mouthbreathing basement dwellers who believe that the Amiga still has a place in the market but can't actually afford the licensing fees to use the name AmigaOS?

emmm Adam said "No!" :D

I guess that when you say " who believe that the Amiga still has a place in the market " you are talking about AmigaOS 4.*, which aims to be targeted to a Amiga N.G.

New Generation machines like Amiga/{A1/X1000,A1/X5000, ACUBE SAM 440/460}

Practically, in the low-entry-level, machines built around a cheaper router-PowerPC440/460 (ACUBE SAM 440/460), and sold with the price of a workstation, plus thousand bucks to buy the top gun in thier new-gen-cream (AmigaOne/Xxxxx), which has almost the same computer power than a PowerMac/PPC sold for hundred bucks on the flea bay, the cost-ratio is >~1:10

Mos isNotEqualTo AmigaOS isNotEqualTo ArOS

• Mos is a super fast OS, with a decent filesystem and interface, developed by a team for pure fun purpose, it's not open source (1) you can get a life-time license, pay once, free use/upgrade for ever.
  • AmigaOS-NG aims to target NG-hw, it's very expensive, far away to be funny, and has a cost in upgrades
  • ArOS is free, it can run on { m68k,ppc,arm?,x86 } but … it's OpenSource (never completed, and it sucks)

(1) It is a mixed proprietary and open source OS produced for the Pegasos PowerPC processor based computer, PowerUP accelerator equipped Amiga computers, and a series of Freescale development boards that use the Genesi Firmware, including the EFIKA and mobileGT. Since MorphOS 2.4 Apple, Inc. Mac Mini G4 is supported as well ( they are the cheapest about Mos License ). The core, based on the Quark microkernel , is proprietary, although several libraries and other parts are open source, such as Ambient desktop. You can't get the sources, even if you can join the " Holy Cult Sect ", and in this case you can see the " Holy lol Code " :lol:

AmigaNG-A1-case (is that really cool? Oh-man
(unfortunately you can't hear my voice, hardened by sarcasm, to hide my resentment
so imagine a LoL in my face :lol: ))

AmigaNG/5K

One/K
  • CPU: P3041 / P5020 / P5040 1.5Ghz to 2.4Ghz
  • Co-processor: “Xena“ Dual Core 500 MHz Xmos XCore XS1-L2 128 SDS
  • GFX: uknown (most likly Radeon HD 5000+) Memory: 2x DDR3 SDRAM slots 16Gb max
  • 6x USB 2.0
  • 1x Gigabit Ethernet
  • 2x PCIe x16 slots (1x16 or 2x8)
  • 2x PCIe x1 slots
  • 1x Xorro slot (gives access to "Xena")
  • 2x PCI legacy slots
  • 2x RS-232
  • 2x SATA 2 connectors
  • 1x ISerial
  • 1x MircoSD - Bios
  • Supports AmigaOS 4.1 or higher

SAM 460EX
  • 1000/1200 AMCC PowerPC 460ex SoC
  • 2 GB DDR2 Ram 200-pin SODIMM up to 533 MHz
  • Silicon Motion SM502 embedded MoC (audio/video) max 64MB gfx Ram
  • Audio 5.1 Realtek ALC655 codec
  • PCI-express 4x lanes slot (16x mechanical connector)
  • PCI-express 1x lane slot or 1x SATA2 port
  • PCI slot, 32 bit, 66/33 MHz, 3.3V
  • 6x USB2 EHCI/OHCI ports
  • 2x 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports
  • integrated SD card reader
  • RTC clock, Serial port, 8-wires
  • I2C and SPI/I2C buses
  • Supports AmigaOS 4.1 or higher

• X3500, P3040 Dual Core 1.5Ghz, 1,400 UKP
  • X5000/20, P5020 Dual Core 2.0Ghz, 1,600 UKP
  • X3500/40, P5040 Quad Core 2.4Ghz, 2,000 UKP
  • SAM 460EX, AMCC PowerPC 460ex SoC, 600 euro <---- price drop, due to the fact it's 4-5 years old product
  • SAM 440EP FLEX, AMCC PowerPC 440EP, 500 euro <---- price drop, due to the fact it's 4-5 years old product
I've never gotten my hands on any AmigaOS 4 stuff. Expensive for what it is. Still waiting for an emulator for that one. :)
:Octane2: Octane2 - (Algogulf) - R14K - 2x600MHZ - 2.5GB RAM - V12
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30 - Long Term Layup
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM
Oh man, did they really put "REMOVE AT RISK OF DEATH" on the silkscreen? :lol:
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Should you decide to stick OSX on it, I do have a genuine Apple Leopard install DVD here mate which I'd be happy to loan you.
:Indigo: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Octane2: :O200:
Leopard is fine, but I think nowadays the best reason to own a Power Mac is all that lovely Classic-era software that won't run properly or at all on an Intel Mac, even with Sheepshaver (which is a neat hack but doesn't really work all that well, especially if you've ever tried to run things like QuarkXPress or FrameMaker in it). That means Tiger. Heck, early OS X software that wasn't universal, for that matter. There's some gems in there too.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
chicaneuk wrote: Should you decide to stick OSX on it, I do have a genuine Apple Leopard install DVD here mate which I'd be happy to loan you.

I do indeed, as I do have some legacy stuff (AJA control software) & that was my plan all along. I actually wanted OSX server & has a copy but it's a grey CD dedicated to a certain machine & in this case it's my Mac Mini server, so no go there.

But if you do have a black OSX cd, I'd certainly borrow it, but there really is no rush on this. Maybe next time I see you. :)
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
uunix wrote: I actually wanted OSX server & has a copy but it's a grey CD dedicated to a certain machine & in this case it's my Mac Mini server, so no go there

you need
  • a MacMIni/PPC
  • an external hard drive, USB driven, pATA technology (is your PowerMac-G5 sATA?)
  • macOSX, grey CD, dedicated to MacMini/PPC

and here it is the " OverRide " procedure
  • bootstrap your MacMini with macOSX DVD1
  • choose " instal into external hard drive " (the one, USB driven, you have attached on the back of the MacMini machine)
  • once completed, you can remove the hard drive from the USB box, and install inside your PowerMac-G5, macOSX should boot fine
  • have fun (harder to be achieved, the science has no recipes)

I used the above trick in order to install a grey-CD-MacOSX-v10.4.2-dedicated to PowerBookG4-15 into a PowerBookG3: the DVD refused to bootstrap if booted on PowerBook-G3, but once installed into the external hard drive, and once the hard drive was installed into the PismoBook, everything worked as expected

My conclusion: grey CD only check the "machine ID" only when you launch the "installer", macOSX has no "machine ID" checker.
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my English still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.