Apple

Lion, new Macbook Air, and new Macmini are here

Lion, new Macbook Air, and new Macmini are here.

I'm really interested in the MacMini. I own one (2010) and is impressed with it. Dumping an i7 and ATI graphics in one is a good move for someone who wants a little more power but not the foot print.

Lion has to be one of my fav OS X releases.

5/11/11 12:58:19 AM gfxCardStatus[268] AMD Radeon HD 6750M in use. Bummer! Less battery life for you.
5/11/11 12:58:20 AM gfxCardStatus[268] Intel HD Graphics 3000 in use. Sweet deal! More battery life.
MacBook Pro 17inch 2011
Mac Mini 2010
I prefer the Snow leopard. Apple has just ruined the OSX UI with squarish button and milky white theme. Also the new Expose just create more confusion when switching between apps. Also no Rosetta, it means some old game like Warcraft 3 (I'm still playing DOTA) wont be able to run on LION anymore.
They finally have a thunderbolt-compatible screen as well, a funny omission since the new mbps came out earlier this year. And the mini no longer has a cd drive, nice. Glad I don't have to wait until autumn or next year for the i7 mini.

I'll wait for lion, I don't have time to upgrade my computer right now. and it's working fine as it is. Maybe fall break I will do it.

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"
New Apple products again. I'm trying, but I can't really get myself excited over this.

I dig the squarish buttons and milky white look. Less bubbly. The new Mail App grew on me. Also it is more multi-touch friendly than straight old school touchpad or plain mouse use. I'm like a multi-touch hand swapping freak.

XCode at full screen is amazing. Well so is Mail and Safari at full screen. With XCode having Interface Builder integrated in it makes full screen very smooth. I keep both Mail and Safari at full screen, and move between the two with the multi finger swipe.

I like the direction the MacMini is going. Let's see where they take the Mac Pro.

5/11/11 12:58:19 AM gfxCardStatus[268] AMD Radeon HD 6750M in use. Bummer! Less battery life for you.
5/11/11 12:58:20 AM gfxCardStatus[268] Intel HD Graphics 3000 in use. Sweet deal! More battery life.
MacBook Pro 17inch 2011
Mac Mini 2010
XCode in fullscreen would be amazing... if it didn't completely omit multiple monitor support. I don't get it: Apple give us Thunderbolt and the possibility of monitor chaining, and then release an OS which completely spits in the face of multiple monitor users.

I'm glad Apple finally got the idea and gave user preferences for most of the new features, though: the reversed scroll direction would make me murderous, except it was easy to swap back to sanity.

So far it's okay: fullscreen I can avoid, I never used Address Book or iCal anyway, although they are disgusting now, the new Mail is sweet, Safari is actually usable (although I'll stick to Chrome, thanks) and I'm excited about the way Apple have done sandboxing, app state, ARC, CoreStorage, and full-disk crypto. The tech side of Lion seems like a very sound upgrade - it's just the way the UI was done that bugs me a bit.

But - - they've updated it with last year's tech!!! And what's more they've dropped the price so it's no longer double an equivalently speced computer from someone else!!! what's not to love??

I guess if you look at it as a notebook it isn't quite as bad, but then again a notebook without a built-in screen, keyboard or mouse is pretty useless.

I strongly dislike gratuitous UI changes. I've just been putting up with two weeks of people complaining (justly) about IE9.

If true 10.7 not supporting multiple monitors is a big step backwards - Apple's done multiple monitors since the Mac II.

[edit] -, turns out it's not last year's tech. Intel's "new" model numbering drives me up the wall -- too many numbers to get backwards.

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote:
tingo wrote:
If true 10.7 not supporting multiple monitors is a big step backwards - Apple's done multiple monitors since the Mac II.

Multiple Monitors are still supported. But once you switch *one* application to fullscreen, the secondary monitor shows a grey cloth like pattern and the fullscreen application is moved to the main screen.

I guess, Apple should give its developers a secondary monitor. No doubt, they would soon realize, how bad their design decision was.

So for now, I’ll skip fullscreen in Xcode because I want to have Safari open on my secondary screen to view some documentation at the same time.

Person A: "I'm going to hack the Internet."
Person B: "Which one?"
Person A: (dramatic pause) "ALL of them!"
I really dig the new Minis. I think they are super cool and I would love to get my hands on an i7 mini with AMD graphics (the ATi brand is dead if you missed that).

Lion is pretty slick, but its another evolutionary step. I wish they would put ZFS back into their plans... I think the fullscreen is best on smaller Macs to really take advantage of the screen real-estate. It makes no sense on my 26" lcd.

Upppdated my computer to lion today. Mainly an annoyance to have to setup my wallpaper again, as well as figuring out how they changed the touchpad fingerpainting gestures; but MobileMe doesn't work after june 30th, and iCloud doesn't work with 10.6, so you are kinda forced into upgrading if you want to continue using your mail.

I just downloaded it from the app store, burned it to a CD, reformatted my hard disk and did a clean install (I wanted to clean my computer out, anyways). It's a lot easier than having to do a re-install of irix, for sure.

I think the only legitimate complaint that I have is that they made the close/minimize/maximize buttons smaller.

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"
I don't know how this thread could have managed without you. next time they make a change in those little buttons please update us again.

DECUS Member 368596
guardian452 wrote:
It's a lot easier than having to do a re-install of irix, for sure.

But the last time I (re) installed Irix was in 2003 :P