Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

why is Yahoo! so stewpid ?

Everyone here is complaining about the obnoxious new mail setup. Everyone who hasn't left, anyhow.

When you can piss off Chinese people with software, boy you've really acoomplished something ! The Assistant even tolerates the psychedelic flashing bunnyrabbits and hundreds of annoying popup ads on Taobao, so when she says she hates the new Yahoo, damn.

What the hell does Marissa use her brain for ? Stuffing her bra ?
long live our soviet motherland, built by the people's mighty hand ....
I've just been forced to "upgrade" to a new yahoo mail backed by a television-media / yahoo joint venture. I wish they would include a "fuck off" button in all these upgrades(*), at least with the very recent gmail one you can disable the new features.

R.

* It doesn't have to do anything just let me click it and I'll feel better.
死の神はりんごだけ食べる

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Twitter @PymbleSoftware
Current Apps (iOS) -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
(Android) https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... +Ltd&hl=en
(Onyx2) Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
(0300s) Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
At least Gmail kindly includes a basic HTML version which on modern browsers is very quick.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ClassicHasClass wrote: At least Gmail kindly includes a basic HTML version which on modern browsers is very quick.

Yep. I've been using that since about 2006, and it's saved me any amount of hair-pulling over the endlessly-revamped flashy bullshit they subject you to in the "modern" interface.

Wish to hell they hadn't killed off the mobile search page, that was the other blessed relief from this endless cycle of fixing what ain't broke...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/D-50/MT-32/SC-55k, Ensoniq SQ-80/Mirage, Yamaha DX7/V-50/FB-01/SY22, Korg DW-8000/MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/M1/03-RW, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus/2, Rhodes Chroma Polaris
Still, have you noticed that several parts of yahoo stand still in time from 2010? ;-)
:Indy: :O2: :Octane2:
DECpc AXP/150, Sun IPX, Ultra 60 (broken), Mac 630, G4 Digital Audio, Amiga 1200T, IBM 7009-C10, HP Envizex a, A180, B132L, C360, C3600.
ItsMeOnly wrote: Still, have you noticed that several parts of yahoo stand still in time from 2010? ;-)

From 2010? Check your calendar, things were frozen far longer than that but that has been changing recently. They've released more changes - good or bad - to their key properties in the past six months than they have in too many years.

Changes to Y! Mail may be crap, but in terms of the perceived health of tech keiretsu it's nice to see Yahoo at least trying to be relevant for a change. And something's happening because Yahoo was the top US web property in July , even excluding Tumblr since I think that was listed separately.

So given all that, don't fret - they're likely to make more intolerable changes to Y! Mail soon. :D
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
smj wrote: And something's happening because Yahoo was the top US web property in July , even excluding Tumblr since I think that was listed separately.

So given all that, don't fret - they're likely to make more intolerable changes to Y! Mail soon. :D

Exactly. I keep wondering if Americans will ever figure out that what is good for the stock market is bad for human beings.

So far, no luck with that.
hamei wrote: I keep wondering if Americans will ever figure out that what is good for the stock market is bad for human beings.

So far, no luck with that.

The problem, my dear fellow, is that your putative Americans would require enough focus and self discipline to go five minutes withou-- Oh look, a monkey riding a dog like a horse!!1!
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
Been paying for my own mail since 2002. POP3 and IMAP access. What do I need webmail for, really? _Occassionally_ I log in via horde. Just if I don't have another means of access. But "free" email? Please...
The Bandito wrote: In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...
Hakimoto wrote: Been paying for my own mail since 2002.

We had our own mail server for several years. Ran it on an O2 :D

There are some problems with that, none of them related to the mail server :

Lots of places will bounce you for being a "private" mail server. You can get around that to some extent with a spiffydiff record. There are still morons who bounce anything that isn't from a commercial mail account but it helps.

If you are in China, may as well give up before you begin. "It's from Chiiiina ! Must be spam !" or alternatively "China ! Hackers ! Hide the women and children !"

After a while it gets to be not worth the hassle.

China bad, you know. Meanwhile, Crocs walks out of Guangdong owing their vendors seventy million dollars. "Just a business decision, mateys ! Later, much !"

Maybe time to buy some postage stamps :P
hamei wrote: Lots of places will bounce you for being a "private" mail server. You can get around that to some extent with a spiffydiff record. There are still morons who bounce anything that isn't from a commercial mail account but it helps.

If you are in China, may as well give up before you begin. "It's from Chiiiina ! Must be spam !" or alternatively "China ! Hackers ! Hide the women and children !"

After a while it gets to be not worth the hassle.

China bad, you know. Meanwhile, Crocs walks out of Guangdong owing their vendors seventy million dollars. "Just a business decision, mateys ! Later, much !"

100% agree about the "whole country ban" concept. I really dislike excessive spam control. It's worse than excessive DRM with me.

"Ban Russia/Ukraine/Belarus! Ban China!"

My spammers seem to be Indian and American.
Hakimoto wrote: But "free" email? Please...

so true,

thanks to friends/colleagues in academic circles i owned an email account when all of my e-contacts comprised of people i could call on, on a cool sunday. then i registered with a few webmail providers left and right to help my wild location swings. most of them were shutdown/acquired by yoohoo/googoo

can't even remember when or where i was at the time that made me register w/ lavabit , but i just found out that they violently pulled the plug:

Lavabit founder: 'My own tax dollars are being used to spy on me' , Lavabit Encrypted Email Service Shuts Down, Can’t Say Why .
apple (mobileme/icloud) mail has never given me the warm fuzzies but at least you know that they are in business to make money... far less nefarious than the "free" mail accounts out there.
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
now that you mention it mark, i never had major headaches with it. been using it since its infancy (iTools, part of MacOS 9)
I've had the same personal email address for 19 years, from the mom 'n pop ISP I signed up with in 1994, I have no idea if they've been "patriot acted" yet as in the case of Lavabit, but there's no reason to think they haven't...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2: