Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

AMIX on WinUAE now boots! - Page 2

I'm running ASV on TT030 with 8MB ram and it's slow like hell :-|
"Look on wife/girlfriends/parents face when you drag all this stuff(IRIS CRIMSON, ONYX, ONYX2, ORIGIN 2000 ,etc.) home.... Priceless! ;) "
:Tezro: :O3x02L: :Indy: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :O2: :Octane: Motorla Series 900(MVME197LE) , Atari TT030, Motorola Powerstack
The first thing will be to backup the hard disk to tape. ;)

I don't really feel like running "another NetBSD" -- BTDT. I imagine it will mostly run AmigaOS, but I'll install a separate drive and put Amix on that for gits and shiggles. RIght now I'm trying to track down an A2065.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Try looking for an Ariadne card too, they're a bit less rare and the third party drivers work on it.
Latest update: I've been trying to build the GNU toolchain but the damn configure scripts when I was doing ld suddenly declared gcc didn't create executables. And then nothing would compile, not even less. So since I was going to revert to a known good install, I thought I might mess with the tape method install. This proved to be fairly problematic, apart from needing to add an index.tape in the directory holding the cpio files (a simple ls -1 > index.tape is enough). But it appears from my extensive testing that as usual, the install script sucks (it can't tell if a cpio file is gziped or not) so it barfs some way through the dearchiving, but goes far enough in 2.01 and 2.03 that it can complete the install and reboot into a fullish AMIX with working packaging. 2.1 however can't even figure out what packages are on the tape because the first blob that has the list (the second has the BOM) can't be found. Not even if you rename all the blobs to relevant names etc. This is all in WinUAE 2.7b6 so if you can try a tape ClassicHasClass we'd like to hear from you!
Well, the machine only just arrived today. I'll try to set it up this weekend.
smit happens.

probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Incredibly dirty and grimy on the inside. Cracked it open, cut out the ticking timebomb known as the battery (I'll solder a battery holder in later), got all the dust out, cleaned it up. Hello, Workbench. I'll deal with the A3070 once I've figured out where it's going to sit permanently (probably on the floor next to the Quadra 800).

http://www.floodgap.com/iv/1960
smit happens.

What kind of cooling do you have in that room? Because my computer room looks to be about the same size and all I have to do to make it hotter than the blazes is turn on my homebuilt dual socket 604 Xeon and my dual R16000 Octane2... :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
Only one computer is on all the time, which is the quad G5. I have central A/C outflow in both that room and the adjoining laundry room, and air recirculators and HEPA filtration. In general the room is about two to four degrees F warmer than the rest of the house, so with the central A/C set to 78-80 F, it's somewhere around 80-84 F for an area in So Cal that's typically mid 90s in summer. The G5 is usually in Reduced mode, so it doesn't heat the room all that much. The other systems are on only when I'm using them.

The server room, since it has five systems running 24/7 (the POWER6 in particular puts space heaters to shame), has a dedicated 11,000 BTU A/C circuit. That unit is set to 80 F and the temperature monitoring range shows it varies between 73 F and 85 F on average; see gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/0/servertemps.txt
smit happens.

ClassicHasClass wrote: The server room, since it has five systems running 24/7 (the POWER6 in particular puts space heaters to shame), has a dedicated 11,000 BTU A/C circuit. /0/servertemps.txt

Ah, so is that a window unit or one of those portable room air conditioners that you can wheel around?
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:

:Tezro: :Octane2:
It's a portable unit. I drilled a hole in the ceiling and routed the exhaust up under one of the roof turbines, so when the A/C turns on, the outflow spins the turbine and it vents immediately. This means the window in that room can stay closed, which makes the security system happy. The exhaust outflow is isolated and insulated, so it doesn't backradiate into the room. I think it's a pretty efficient setup, considering. While operational it uses about 1.1 to 1.3 kW.

Note that the air has some moisture in it, but I get away with this since I live in the middle of a freaking desert. :) It's been set up that way for two years and no visible problems in the attic, but if I lived somewhere a little more humid I'd probably want to think of an alternate solution. The trick is not making the exhaust line too long, or the A/C won't be able to pump out the heat fast enough. I actually shortened it by about six inches for this application.
smit happens.

So it's an actual AC unit not a swamp cooler? How does it get rid of its condensate? I've been looking for a good portable AC unit but haven't seen one yet that didn't have several points mentioned in the consumer reviews that were negative enough for me to disqualify it from consideration,

ClassicHasClass wrote:
That unit is set to 80 F and the temperature monitoring range shows it varies between 73 F and 85 F on average;

The temperature rises at night and goes down during the day ? Is that a daily pattern, Classy ? And if so, have you wondered why ?

@vishnu: it's an actual A/C unit - I get antsy about swamp coolers around electronics. The condensate exits with the exhaust. There is a water reservoir if you don't live in the middle of the desert like I do :) (but I've never had to empty it). This unit is an LG, specifically http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-LP ... B0055DTBOI

Do note that, as a rule, portable A/C units are less efficient than window mounted A/C units. I don't think a lot of people realize that, which is why portable units get bad reviews; people think they're something they're not. In my case, there's a security reason to use the portable device. If a window-mount unit will work for you, you'll probably like it better. I also have a standby A/C unit in the room for emergency cooling but it's never been turned on.

@hamei: simple explanation; the A/C turns off at night, since it detects cooler air in the intake (which is somewhat separated from the rest of the room), so the POWER6 heats up the room unopposed. The A/C is also run in energy saver mode, which turns off the ventilator fan when the compressor is not running. During the day, the air intake is hotter, and the A/C runs.

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
ClassicHasClass wrote:
Do note that, as a rule, portable A/C units are less efficient than window mounted A/C units. I don't think a lot of people realize that, which is why portable units get bad reviews; people think they're something they're not. In my case, there's a security reason to use the portable device. If a window-mount unit will work for you, you'll probably like it better.

Hmm. Sounds like a Business Opportunity :) Almost all the home air conditioners here are split-function. The fan and condenser (?) are indoors, the compressor and heat exchanger are outside. Three insulated hoses run through the wall. (Pardon my lack of correct air conditioning terminology.) All the heat goes outdoors, all the cold stays indoors, no security vulnerability due to having the unit stuck in an open window, they make units small enough for small rooms, the only opening between them is a 3" diameter hole in the wall. Condensate is piped outdoors (that's the third tube.)

They work good, too. Mine is now on 24/7. It's 102* here these days, ugh :( (And about 300% humidity, Classy. I used to think Death Valley was hot.)

Well, I have a central unit, but I don't want it running all the time just to keep one room cold (it pulls 5kW, and even though it's a SEER 12 unit, it'll bankrupt me if it has to run all day). I thought about a split unit but right now this is good enough.

probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
ClassicHasClass wrote:
I thought about a split unit but right now this is good enough.

I'm sure. If the situation comes up again tho, and you are considering a split-function a/c but have doubts, they do work well. They make pretty small ones, too. And they don't seem to be expensive to run.

The only bad part is when you get them recharged every few years and the guy hangs out the window, standing on the outside unit that is mounted to some rusty old scrap iron screwed to the wall with wood screws into some dowels pounded into even crappier holes drilled in the loose masonry. Tenth floor. I can't believe we don't lose a lot of air conditioner guys every summer ....

Back on topic, I did manage to land an Ariadne II network card. It appears Amix doesn't support this card, sadly, but it looks like it should work fine with Workbench 2.1 and AmiTCP 3.0b2. After some cussing, I got the ancient version of CrossDOS on it to read a disk (as di0: , not pc0: ?!) from the Power Mac and got AmiCDROM installed, so now it can read ISO 9660 CDs. This will make things a lot easier.

Then I guess I should get WHDLoad working on it and play some of my old A500 games.

As far as Amix, I'm going to see if the Solbourne will talk to the tape drive. If it will, then maybe I can use the Solbourne to write the install tapes. The Solbourne is a relative of the sun4c family, so I think it will work. As people saw from my other thread, the A3070 does not handle LUNs correctly and freaked out the Indy, so there goes that idea.

ClassicHasClass wrote:
How much wattage does the split unit pull?

Back on topic, I did manage to land an Ariadne II network card. It appears Amix doesn't support this card, sadly, but it looks like it should work fine with Workbench 2.1 and AmiTCP 3.0b2. After some cussing, I got the ancient version of CrossDOS on it to read a disk (as di0: , not pc0: ?!) from the Power Mac and got AmiCDROM installed, so now it can read ISO 9660 CDs. This will make things a lot easier.

Then I guess I should get WHDLoad working on it and play some of my old A500 games.

As far as Amix, I'm going to see if the Solbourne will talk to the tape drive. If it will, then maybe I can use the Solbourne to write the install tapes. The Solbourne is a relative of the sun4c family, so I think it will work. As people saw from my other thread, the A3070 does not handle LUNs correctly and freaked out the Indy, so there goes that idea.

Can't you write to the tape from Workbench2.1? I'm pretty sure there's utils on AmiNet for that. Would be easier than trying random UNIX systems...
The hard disk is something like 97% full. I want to back THAT up first, and I'd probably have to put another drive in. This computer is loaded to the brim with software; it even has CanDo and SAS/C.

ClassicHasClass wrote:
How much wattage does the split unit pull?

Don't know, but it costs less than $20 a month during the summer ( 90 - 100*, the awful part is the nights aren't much cooler than the days). Don't know if it is more efficient or less efficient having the components separated but sems to work well. And it does solve that security problem.