Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

AMIX on WinUAE now boots! - Page 1

AMIX, Commodore's System V Release 4 port (runs on A2500UX & A3000UX) now runs on the fantastic WinUAE Amiga emulator! Version 2.6.0 introduced full MMU support for the 68030 which enabled it to work. You can get the install media at http://amigaunix.com as well as all the instructions needed. It took 6 hours to install on my dualcore Atom but it's great fun! Comes with a full X11R5 and a bunch of ancient freeware, and now that WinUAE supports RTG graphical cards like the Cirrus Logic based PicassoII you can have a full colour OLWM session. failure, the dev who's been toying with this since 2009 has ported a few tools over like wget and others too. All in all, a splendid effort by Toni Wilen and failure!

N.B. the website's tiki is playing up so you need to use google cache to access the pages and wget to download the install files.
Wicked stuff. I might actually check this out. Good ol' times.
The Bandito wrote: In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...
screenshots?
:Onyx2:
Wow, that's neat to hear! I've got an A2500/UX in pieces* waiting to be assembled just so that I can play around with Amix. Now it seems I may not need the actual hardware.

(* actually it's a standard A2000 that I bought new in 1989 and used for more than 5 years. I recently pulled it out of storage and bought the add-ons to upgrade it to the equivalent of an A2500/UX. I haven't had a chance to put everything together yet.)
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000
This makes me think, does this also mean that netbsd/openbsd and perhaps m68k linux can now work on winuae?
mia wrote: This makes me think, does this also mean that netbsd/openbsd and perhaps m68k linux can now work on winuae?

According to winuae.net , yes! Under "New Features" for WinUAE 2.6.0 it says: "Full 68030, 68040 and 68060 MMU emulation. Amix, Linux, NetBSD, Enforcer, WHDLoad MMU option and more fully working."
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000
now that's great.
Screenshots can be found in this thread: http://eab.abime.net/support-winuae/67210-amix-winuae.html .
Hope SCO doesn't sue them, haha.

Oh man, that so makes me want to run X11R5 again.
Cool, it even has Open Look :)
Is this getting ported to FS-UAE too? I can actually run that on my G5.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ClassicHasClass wrote: Is this getting ported to FS-UAE too? I can actually run that on my G5.

Well FS-UAE does seem to track WinUAE development quite closely so I do hope it comes along soon. I tried to install AMIX in WinUAE under Wine in Ubuntu and it never loads the boot floppy. Stuck on Win7 for the time being... and the HDF seems to corrupt *really* easily. Best to back it up right after install if you don't want to do it 3 times over like I have. Oh and the install script barfs on the cpio archive extraction, I ended it up changing that line in /etc/profile on the root.adf with a simple cpio -icdmuvB < /dev/dsk/c5d0s0 and it runs very happily.

Also, updating to 2.1c gave me a system that hung on reboot, possibly because my HDF was over 1G (1.2G). I'll try again with a couple of size (you need at least 600M I reckon because there's kernel compile and whatnot during the update.
Wow, fantastic!
Torfinn
I'll be posting my findings as things go on. I'm trying to build more complicated configs but it's quite hit and miss. So far:

1. what ever you do, turn off all unnecessary eye candy, monitoring software, etc in Windows to get more I/O throughput. It can divide by 4 the time to install from the cpio archive on atom systems, so imagine on your superduper Core I7...

2. you *must* give the machine the hostname "amix" or the fixdisk will exit complaining that it's not dealing with AMIX.

3. fixdisk + update disk work, but that'll bork networking. Install the X11R5 package for PicassoII and the kernel recompile will restore networking.

4. How to import stuff easily? Well, I have, like most of you, a box running some *nix/bsd thing, and it shares the homedir using samba. This is fairly crucial so you can download, unarchive, then tar whatever you need to import. Then you set up a HDF at SCSI4 or 5 that point to that tar archive, reboot, and you should be able to untar from /dev/dsk/c4d0s0 or c5.

5. That pesky installation file. Once you've achieved a working HDF, back it up. Right away. And make 2 copies. You can now procede with testing differents configs, like loads of swap (512M) and maybe a separate /usr or /home partition. To do all this, you need the damn install file ( /etc/profile on the root.adf) to do it's job. It's not very good at it, and likes to hang at various points for hours for no reason. First thing to do is to boot up whatever linux install you have handy, loop mount the root.adf as a sysv fs and edit the /etc/profile near the end when it starts processing the cpio archive. Just comment all that rubbish about dd etc out and put

Code: Select all

cpio -icdmuB < /dev/dsk/c4d0s0

That's assuming you've got the archive set up as an HDF on SCSI4. If you've got a working install, copy that /etc/profile somewhere handy (not in /etc, obviously... ) and copy over all of the content of /etc, since it has a few binaries that aren't in the final install and can be useful.

6. I find easiest to let the floppy install do the partitioning, since neither sysadm (the inbuilt menued admin system) nor rdb are very effective or userfriendly (effective not for sysadm, and userfriendly not for rdb). It then claims to "check the partitions" but hangs half the time, that's when it's time to reboot into your working install and do the fs creation yourself. This oddly requires you to provide the partition size! So do this:

rdb -p a /dev/dsk/c5d0s0
mkfs -F ufs /dev/dsk/c5d0sa sizethatrdbgaveya

a is the number of the partition. Usually 1 for the root partition, 2 for swap, 3 for boot, and 4 for Extra, which you can do anything you want to.

7. The kernel is written to a 2M boot partition, always the third partition of the disk. This is achieved by:

cd /stand
make bootpart KERNEL=yourkernel (usually unix)

to actually build a fresh kernel, you need to go into /usr/sys and just do make. For linux folks, no there's no choosing options. This is SysVR4.

8. Unlike what I stated before, you can boot disks over 1G (I haven't tried over 2) but no partition can be over 1G. I have a working install with 950M for / . I'm not sure about the max size for swap, it barfed badly at 512M on initial boot, but that may just have been because of my manual install. You have to be very careful to use rdb to label the FS of each partition using a specific hex code that's in the install script. It's also in the manpage iirc.

9. It supports an unusual array of filesystems, including distributed ones. I've never heard of half of them, so if someone could chip in...
FS supported according to sysadm: bfs, fd, fifofs, namefs, nfs, procfs, rfs, s5, specfs, ufs, xnamfs .

10. X11 is nice, but I can't get Open Look working, it's complaining about missing it's default font and it's not provided by the install. Tried to symlink some other same size font, it won't take it. That leaves you with twm (in magenta, not green), tvtwm, and maybe some other thing. And the keyboard does whatever it pleases in X: y and z inverted, ' becomes paste, / migrates to 7, it sort of becomes some variant of a euro keyboard basically, but which one I'm not sure.

11. bash and ksh are provided, but bash in amiga console ignores the arrowpad so no backscrolling commands and whatnot. Works fine in X11.

12. The manpages aren't too bad and do explain a lot but I need to delve in much further. Apropos works!

13. Networking: (yes it needs to be at 13 the way it works...) TCP/IP works, but as in an ancient system. One which defaults to using a hosts file, not DNS. Now that the amigaunix.com site is back up, you better read the page there on how to do it all, plus, in WinUAE you're using SLIRP, so your host *has* to be 10.0.2.15 and the gateway *has* to be 10.0.2.2. DNS is at 10.0.2.3. Make sure you set it up right, with named (probably v4, violently ugly...) running so that you can do NFS/FTP/Telnet/all that stuff. ICMP doesn't work beyond the gateway, that's the nature of SLIRP apparently.

14. Speed up: turn off unnecessary services the usual way (renaming...) and get syslog running by editing the /etc/init.d/syslog file to remove that exit line. Can come in handy.

All in all, it works, but it takes a while to get everything working and then you feel the urge to install some updates, like an egrep that's recursive... amigaunix.com and amixbp.sf.net have stuff, so that could help. I have screen now! :)
so here is the right hardware package for amix ;-)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Commodore-Amiga- ... 4d0f7ce9d7
no plan
Who's got two thumbs and just won that Amiga 3000?
THIS GUY.
Gonna be sweet.
smit happens.

probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
800 dollares?? not bad :D
no plan
Nice ! Hope it runs at least as face as WinUAE does for me :P .

Anyway, I'm at the stage where I'm trying to extend / update AMIX 2.1c. I've got findutils and grep and gzip to install pretty easily. Also, despite netstat and ifconfig having become non-functional, I can still use wget to import files! Shame DNS just won't work...

I've also concluded that X11R4 patched with Xsvga, rather than X11R5, is the way to go to have colour X11. I've tried fixing a zillion paths etc but to no avail, and nothing's moaning about R4... apart from OpenLook that loses it's default font when not in a 1bit mode!
Amix does seem to be a bit dire, even considering its age.
smit happens.

It's more userfriendly that I thought it would be though... Do you have a RTG card for it? If not, remember AMIX only supports ZorroII slot ones via the third party drivers. Are you going to install Amix at all or just Amiga OS (or another BSD/linux)? There's a 68030@50MHz accelerator for the A3000 if you want to run a bit faster, http://www.amibay.com is the place to go hunting for that kind of thing.

I managed to compile some of the binutils last night, trying to get m4 to work (make barfs with a "line too long" before even starting... ). I'm going to explore making packages using the native tools, although I doubt it does dependencies checking.