Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

MaXX Desktop Update – April-2013 - Page 3

Kumba wrote: I honestly cringe to know what odd security bugs still exist in the final release of IRIX that no one knows about.

A new 'out of the box' IRIX installation is a soft target. It will allow root login using telnet, 'nuff said ...

But any properly firewalled system is as secure as the services exposed to the network. If you limit that to SSH you should be reasonably safe, even if the source of random on IRIX probably can't compete with current implementations.

That leaves privilege escalation by local users. For IRIX systems operated by hobbyists that shouldn't be an issue -- the owner probably doesn't allow access to users (s)he doesn't trust.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
that is not a good evaluation of security vulnerabilities... there are many attacks that do not rely on open ports or malicious local users. Heartbleed being only the most well-known.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
jan-jaap wrote: If you limit that to SSH you should be reasonably safe, even if the source of random on IRIX probably can't compete with current implementations.
I have NetWare VMs, and that's probably got far worse vulns than even IRIX can dream of (running Java 1.4 in kernel threads, anyone?). What's the OpenSSH version in IRIX? I think there's been some recent vulns that SGI's not patched. Though, I'd assume someone has also built a nekoware version that corrects that.
:Onyx2: 4x R14000 :Tezro: 4x R16000 :Fuel: 1x R16000 :Octane: 2x R14000 :O2+: RM7000 :O2: R10000 :O2: RM5200 :Indigo: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indigo2: R8000 :O3x0: 4x R14000 :Indy: R5000

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic
Kumba wrote: What's the OpenSSH version in IRIX?

Last I have is v5.8p1 from patchSG0007246, April 2011.

A couple of CVE's apply , but nothing too alarming (nothing that will allow an unauthorized login over the network). Ironically, more severe CVEs apply to newer versions. So when you compile from source you have to keep up with the race.

My IRIX systems are never exposed to the internet.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
robespierre wrote: that is not a good evaluation of security vulnerabilities... there are many attacks that do not rely on open ports or malicious local users. Heartbleed being only the most well-known.

please do list those that affect irix. i'm sure that'd be very interesting for everybody running irix.
heartbleed for example is not a problem.
r-a-c.de
robespierre wrote: that is not a good evaluation of security vulnerabilities... there are many attacks that do not rely on open ports or malicious local users. Heartbleed being only the most well-known.

You're right, I didn't cover the case of a user acting in good faith being abused by a malicious server. An outgoing firewall could be used to limit what an 'unsafe' system can do. I've got an old XP system which gets that treatment.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
About this security stuff ... I don't think I'll ever understand it.

For small users, since I own an O350 I now do regular backups. I don't keep films of me boinking a twelve-year-old boy in my computer. I'm not going to be Speaker of the House, either :lol: We do NOT do "online banking." In fact, i refuse to have a fucking bank account. Those people are documented thieves, crooks and liars. And we don't do anything in the ridiculous "Cloud". Whoever thought that shit up was an imbecile. The people who use it are schmucks. You can't make a bullshit idea "secure" and credit cards are the biggest bullshit idea on the planet.

So what's the worst that can happen if some sneaky bastard gets past the firewall and invades my computer ? I'll have to wipe the disk and run xfsrestore ? Already do that once a month anyhow due to flaky hardware.

If you are a larger company, how much sense does it make to be unduly paranoid about buffer overflows when SSL was a piece of shit for ten years, when you allow your employees to use USB sticks, when people are supposed to be doing business from their iPhones, when 1/3 of the mobile towers in the US are run by some nameless spooks, when the ignorant buffoons at the NSA can stomp all over the law while Congress snivels about "protecting Amurricans fwum tewwowists !" Like, I am 1000 times more likely to be struck and killed by lightning while surviving an earthquake in a Roman orgy than to be hurt by a tewwowist. But I have to give up 2/3 of my income and all my freedom to pwotect me fwum diss tewwible fwet to my way uv wife !

And let's not mention that the cops have murdered 319 people so far this year in order to protect me ! Keep me safe ! Safe safe safe ! Except from them ....

Fuck.

It just seems to me this whole security fetish is ridiculous. Normal safeguards, sure, but jesus. This is worse than ridiculous. It's insane.
"all the leaves are brown and the sky is grey ..."
security and privacy awareness is not a bad thing per se but i totally agree with you that the priorities are what matters and these got quite off recently.
the sensationalism has greatly increased and 98% of all people who suddenly panicked when heartbleed was all over the news have no idea what that even is let alone are able to tell how likely it actually is that a complete data set of for example their account of some site would be found out and used against them.
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote:

please do list those that affect irix. i'm sure that'd be very interesting for everybody running irix.

Do you use glibc?
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2015/01/27/9
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
robespierre wrote: Do you use glibc?

no, i meant issues that affect irix
r-a-c.de
i am surely the only one who imagines hamei living in some 1950's era bunker, surrounded by humming old computers that go 'pop' once in a while, wearing only a tinfoil hat while molesting that poor poor kid. :lol:

> ./mindbleach
robespierre wrote:
foetz wrote: please do list those that affect irix. i'm sure that'd be very interesting for everybody running irix.

Do you use glibc?
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2015/01/27/9

IRIX doesn't use GNU libc as its central C lib, so it wasn't affected by GHOST. Furthermore, GHOST itself was largely a non-event and absolutely no where near the scale of Heartbleed or Shellshock. Section 3 of that oss-security link highlights the threat level pretty well:

Code: Select all

--[ 3 - Mitigating factors ]--------------------------------------------------

The impact of this bug is reduced significantly by the following
reasons:

- A patch already exists (since May 21, 2013), and has been applied and
tested since glibc-2.18, released on August 12, 2013:

[BZ #15014]
* nss/getXXbyYY_r.c (INTERNAL (REENTRANT_NAME))
[HANDLE_DIGITS_DOTS]: Set any_service when digits-dots parsing was
successful.
* nss/digits_dots.c (__nss_hostname_digits_dots): Remove
redundant variable declarations and reallocation of buffer when
parsing as IPv6 address.  Always set NSS status when called from
reentrant functions.  Use NETDB_INTERNAL instead of TRY_AGAIN when
buffer too small.  Correct computation of needed size.
* nss/Makefile (tests): Add test-digits-dots.
* nss/test-digits-dots.c: New test.

- The gethostbyname*() functions are obsolete; with the advent of IPv6,
recent applications use getaddrinfo() instead.

- Many programs, especially SUID binaries reachable locally, use
gethostbyname() if, and only if, a preliminary call to inet_aton()
fails. However, a subsequent call must also succeed (the "inet-aton"
requirement) in order to reach the overflow: this is impossible, and
such programs are therefore safe.

- Most of the other programs, especially servers reachable remotely, use
gethostbyname() to perform forward-confirmed reverse DNS (FCrDNS, also
known as full-circle reverse DNS) checks. These programs are generally
safe, because the hostname passed to gethostbyname() has normally been
pre-validated by DNS software:

. "a string of labels each containing up to 63 8-bit octets, separated
by dots, and with a maximum total of 255 octets." This makes it
impossible to satisfy the "1-KB" requirement.

. Actually, glibc's DNS resolver can produce hostnames of up to
(almost) 1025 characters (in case of bit-string labels, and special
or non-printable characters). But this introduces backslashes ('\\')
and makes it impossible to satisfy the "digits-and-dots"
requirement.

The only reason GHOST got into the news was because one of these new cyber-intelligence firms sat on the vulnerability for several months while they worked on PR and marketing material prior to announcing it. Somehow, a link to the PR image got leaked out, and someone checked the creation date on it and noticed it was ~3 months old (Oct 2014, since this happened in Jan 2015), and blogged about it.

Ditto for the recent Qemu VENOM attack. Largely a complete non-event, since that only affected Qemu and Virtualbox users via antiquated floppy disk driver code (hah!), and it had a very narrow set of requirements in order to be exploitabe.

----------

If you really want to harden yourself from attack, there are a few easy, simple steps beyond the usual patching and firewall stuff, especially for Windows users, that can be followed:

Adobe:
- Disable Javascript in Adobe Reader/Acrobat.
- Disable Execution of embedded PDF Attachments in Adobe Reader/Acrobat.
- Install a browser add-on that prohibits automatic execution/loading of Adobe Flash/Shockwave.

Specific to Microsoft Office:
- Disallow automatic execution of macros, especially untrusted. If you wrote it yourself, MS has steps on creating a self-signed certificate that you can use to allow your own code to still run w/o prompting: https://support.office.com/en-nz/articl ... 1c35079891

Java:
- If you have no choice but to use Java, then keep it up-to-date. If, for whatever reason, you're wedded to a specific, vulnerable version and you can't run multiple versions concurrently, then prevent your web browser from loading up Java content at all.

Those are the three, most commonly-used attack vectors in pretty much all cyber attacks these days. The fourth major vector is a "watering hole" attack, in which a legit website is compromised with things like hidden <IFRAME> tags that exploit a known or unknown browser vulnerability to load malicious code (and typically, this is actually done via Flash/Java, but there have been a handful affecting IE directly). A "spearphish" email is sent to a fairly-specific list of targeted individuals, usually on corporate systems, in an attempt to get them to visit the watering hole site and execute the exploit. These are a lot less common, and I'm fairly certain most people here are smart enough to not fall for your average spearphish e-mail.

If you already do all of these things, but know someone that doesn't, clue them in. Use a 2x4 if needed. A little pain can go a very long way.
:Onyx2: 4x R14000 :Tezro: 4x R16000 :Fuel: 1x R16000 :Octane: 2x R14000 :O2+: RM7000 :O2: R10000 :O2: RM5200 :Indigo: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indigo2: R8000 :O3x0: 4x R14000 :Indy: R5000

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic
good for irix since none of that matters there. just assuming people are not running java applets in netscape 4.x :P
r-a-c.de
Looks like there's a new domain now: http://www.maxxdesktop.co/site/
:Indigo2IMP: