Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

CDE Code From 1999 Open Sourced - Page 2

alexott wrote:
I suggest to sign petition on freeing IRIX Interactive Desktop: http://www.change.org/petitions/silicon ... ve-desktop ;) .

Done :)

risk.
mila wrote:
alexott wrote:
I suggest to sign petition on freeing IRIX Interactive Desktop: http://www.change.org/petitions/silicon ... ve-desktop ;) .

Done :)

Would be nice, but the 5DWM guy already has a license and has put it quite a bit of work on a Linux port.

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote:
Would be nice, but the 5DWM guy already has a license and has put it quite a bit of work on a Linux port.
Browsing the source at the maxxdesktop website, two things come to mind; development has been stalled for three years and he either hasn't or can't release all the source code, for example there's nothing there for the file manager or the toolchest or any of the players/recorders/mixers, etc...
vishnu wrote:
Browsing the source at the maxxdesktop website, two things come to mind; development has been stalled for three years and he either hasn't or can't release all the source code, for example there's nothing there for the file manager or the toolchest or any of the players/recorders/mixers, etc...
If you like additional detail, there are a few MAXX Desktop threads in the nekochan archives , and the MAXX Desktop developer is a nekochan member. He hasn't logged in in a while, but contact info is available in his profile .

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote:
If you like additional detail, there are a few MAXX Desktop threads in the nekochan archives , and the MAXX Desktop developer is a nekochan member. He hasn't logged in in a while, but contact info is available in his profile .
Oh sure, I've been using Max on my Linux computers for years, in trying to recall how long I've been using it I can see a post I made to the Slackware newsgroup about it in 2005, the 10th message down: http://unixresources.org/linux/lf/48/archive/00/00/16/99/169914-2.html

According to the Max website they're still on for "Development Release 4" in 2012/2013. Unless they plan to really get on the stick I think they can drop the 2012 part of that statement: http://dev.maxxdesktop.com/trac/maxxdesktop
In case anyone is interested, there is an unofficial live CD of Debian with the latest version of CDE, available at:

https://andarazoroflove.org/code/cdebian

... A short video of installation and some basic usage are here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26ijJIu7lFU&vq=large

What isn't entirely clear yet to me, is what this will mean for operating systems which still bundle CDE (and Motif), like HP-UX and VMS.

Why would it mean anything to them? I can't see any reason why software being re-released under an open source license would have any impact on prior licensees. Was there some particular issue you were worried about?

Don't know if this is still true but was just looking for something at Open Motif. In the case of Motif, it was only released for open source operating systems. It is illegal* to use it on HP-UX, Irix, AIX, Solaris, Windows, Mac, etc.

* Their term

I don't think there's that much point in using the open source version on a platform that already has CDE by default :) as someone who is using CDE on his (Linux) laptop regularly, I have to say it still needs a lot of work to get even close to the quality of finish (and stability) of the shipped CDE bundles. It's notouriously evil at 64bit, for a starter... which is probably why CDE was built as 32bit binaries on all (closed source) platforms I know :D

What about VMS and HP-UX for IA-64 or Digital/Tru64 (OSF/1) UNIX and VMS for AXP? Those are pretty much ‘64-bit—only’ platforms, AXP particularly so (IA-64 especially since the 9000-series IPF).

They did seem to go for 32-bit, like in the case of CDE for IRIX (I haven't checked Solaris). But, don't you think it has more to do with support and (backwards) compatibility reasons than any other considerations?

• Offering various remaining (system) parts, many compatible with IRIX and OpenVMS AXP / I64 ;
• Looking for an SGI O3000 IP59 1 GHz MIPS R16000 quad-processor node board (for a Tezro).
On e.g. IRIX there's a speed penalty to 64bit: pointers are twice as long so you'll use more memory, run out of CPU cache faster etc. On these systems you go 64bit only when you have to because your application requires > 2GB RAM.

With x86-64, something different is going on: with 64bit support came various ISA extension which make that 64bit code is usually faster then 32bit equivalent.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote:
... with 64bit support came various ISA extension which make that 64bit code is usually faster then 32bit equivalent.

The dozen additional registers didn't hurt, either :D

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
A new CDE version was recently released today: 2.2.0d. :)

They are considering CDE to be "beta" quality now. Apparently it is known to work well on at least Linux, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD these days. From the release notes, it looks like they have also added some basic Xinerama support for multiple monitors.

Code:
# 2.2.0d (beta) 05/30/2013

- We are being bold this time, and promoting CDE to Beta.

- More work on dtinfo.  It now mostly compiles but is not quite ready for prime time.  It is not built by default.

- dtksh now builds on linux systems.

- We do not build Motif man pages anymore.

- X11 screensaver extension support now works in dtsession on Linux.

- Some screen locking issues on the BSD's have been fixed.

- /usr/sbin/sendmail is now the default mailer on OpenBSD

- Basic support for Xinerama has been added to dtlogin and dtsession using a new DtXinerama library.

- Resolve many more compiler warnings

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get it working properly...? Upon starting an X session, I just get the copyright screen and an xterm. Sad face... :(