Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

NeXT at the Olympics - Page 3

OMG I started a flamewar!

I don't care if Mac OS/X is a "real" Unix. Unix is not the holy grail. As long as I can use
all that Posix-stuff and do "./configure, make, make install", it's Unix enough for me.
Martin Steen wrote: OMG I started a flamewar!

typical ...
trainwreck.jpg
trainwreck.jpg (9.92 KiB) Viewed 390 times
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Martin Steen wrote: I don't care if Mac OS/X is a "real" Unix. Unix is not the holy grail. As long as I can use
all that Posix-stuff and do "./configure, make, make install", it's Unix enough for me.

Yep. I think that's the bottom line, eh?
It would be interesting to hear from all the professional UI people on here about the tabletization of everything. It seems to me that forcing the (WIMP-y) PC into the (tile-y) tablet world is the same mistake in reverse that the early tablet people made of trying to make it WIMP-y (think Windows CE).
The mac air was sold as sort of an ipad-with-a-keyboard, at least the early 11" that I have, that was the video that sold me on it. They later took a lot of the ideas in iOS and put it in lion. So I also have an ipad (1st generation) and an old 9" symbol tablet (about 1.5 inch thick, but also waterproof dustproof etc, P3 800mhz, etc) that runs windows XP. All of these machines tend to work very well with regards to the interface. Different, but work well none the less.

Mac OS X developing toolset is over looked. Outside of iOS app developing you don't hear much about folks digging into what OS X has to offer and pretty much for free (once you own a mac).
For my thesis project I used an iphone as a host to a wireless footy monitor of sorts (using an ant transceiver to the 30pin connector). iOS is pretty cool but it definitely takes a lot of adjusting, especially for the likes of me, who's focus revolves around feet, shoes, (to a lesser extent, sensors, analog, and microcontrollers); and most definitely not software... but it was done, workable, and very reliable (never crashed on us) in the end. It sure beats having to carry around a laptop when running, or running on a treadmill..
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.
josehill wrote:
Martin Steen wrote: I don't care if Mac OS/X is a "real" Unix. Unix is not the holy grail. As long as I can use

Yep. I think that's the bottom line, eh?

No it isn't "the bottom line." Joseph, Mary and the Baby Jesus, what do you people use your brains for, spacing your ears out ?

"Look, my computer has a terminal, therefore it must run Multics !"
"Oh look, I can do "cd <directoryname> ! I must be using AIX !"
"Looky looky, mine has directories, therefore it must be DOS !"
"I've got a compiler, mine is System 36 !"
" My Chevvy has doors, therefore it's a Ford."
"Oh hey, my X1/9 has the engine in the middle, therefore it's a GT-40"
"My Vega is red, so it must be an Alfa !"
"Look, my diploma is written on paper, therefore it's a check for $800,000"

Stupid. Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid. Just because all the Apple fanboyz want it to be Unix doesn't mean it is Unix. If wishes were horses, there'd be an entire cavalry of beggars. Here's a free clue for those of you who were not listening in the fifth grade : resemble != is .

(And if Unix is not the holy Grail - with which I certainly agree - then why do people keep insisting that "OS X is Unix ! OS X is Unix !" ... ? Gotta problem with your self-image ?)