IRIX and Software

IRC client for IRIX ?

Where can I get a good client for IRC, and I dont mean that poor excuse for an IRC support in Gaim or console BitchX, I mean a decent IRC client like mIRC in Windogs, that has advanced features and such?
amigo wrote: Where can I get a good client for IRC, and I dont mean that poor excuse for an IRC support in Gaim or console BitchX, I mean a decent IRC client like mIRC in Windogs, that has advanced features and such?

How about X-chat?
configure complete, now type 'make' and pray.
The same Xchat from Linux?

/me shivers...

Isnt there a good stable client like mIRC? could we run perhaps 16bit mIRC in IRIX? :)
amigo wrote: Where can I get a good client for IRC, and I dont mean that poor excuse for an IRC support in Gaim or console BitchX, I mean a decent IRC client like mIRC in Windogs, that has advanced features and such?

I used epic4 from freeware and irssi (which was truly weird) in cli mode and chatzilla in graphics mode. Chatzilla is okay. Easy enough to try, if you are already running firefaux. Just start firefox as root, then download it as an extension and remember to check the little "let websites install software" box.
This may sound like a flame, but how dare you call _mIRC_ decent and imply that BX is not?

there are not many irc clients as feature bloated as BX, infact i think BX is the MOST feature bloated client that exists- many, many 'advanced' features that you will never use.

If you're looking for something with a GUI, that passes only plaintext, I suggest you rethink your needs.

X-Chat is fairly unstable- or at least it was for me.

epic4 is a script that runs over irssi and is very popular and stable.

Good luck-
I think it's a matter of preference. mIRC is a "clean" and reliable for me. It is not slow and has necessary features I'm looking for. :)

If BX works for you, all the better then, personally I just couldnt bring myself to ever like it...
I used mIrc.. until i discovered XChat.. that is way nicer than Irc.

and i use it on windoze and IRIX..

cheers
----
:: jean-claude
:: mimgfx dot com
----
Involution wrote: X-Chat is fairly unstable- or at least it was for me.

You can't be serious - I've been using X-chat for years on three diffrent platforms (irix, OS X, and linux) and never had a problem - did you use an "unstable" or beta build?
configure complete, now type 'make' and pray.
I'm very serious,
I used it on a peecee machine, initially apt-getted with debian (stable) when that crashed on me a couple times, I compiled my own version, which showed the same result. I'm glad however that it works well for you. I just dont see the need for gui, and buttons, when all i'm transferring and recieving is plain text. but- to each their own :razz:
If you have a quick machine check out chatzilla extension for firefox.
Involution wrote: I just dont see the need for gui, and buttons, when all i'm transferring and recieving is plain text. but- to each their own :razz:

Oh, then epic4 from freeware should be fine. Doesn't even have
any dependencies, as I remember. Simple, clean, works great
Well... Being an UNIX bastard I'll advocate on behalf of irssi. Clean, simple, lightweight, with relatively well designed code and having features like external perl or .so plugins - what else one may want? ;)
LAMMEN GORTHAUR
Heh, epic4 is actually nice and comes preocmpiled by SGI in freeware. I would be happy to get name completion in it, any ideas ?

On other computers I usually have irssi or x-chat
Well... You have two options: 1> write nick autocompletion yourself and 2> use something already written. In the latter case I'd recommend lice (ask google for lice+epic), rather configurable script, adding many functionalities to epic et cetera.
BTW I have nothing against epic except the UTF-8 support. It hit me hard when I switched to UTF-8 locale on my BSDs and it has to be almost fully rewritten to support wide chars. That's why I'm using irssi now.
Good luck.
LAMMEN GORTHAUR