IRIX and Software

SGI freeware has been restarted

Just look in the usual place. Very few updates this time, but at least is a sign of life, and it should improve in the next release.

AS
o2ric wrote: Just look in the usual place. Very few updates this time, but at least is a sign of life, and it should improve in the next release.

AS

Nice catch! Many of us had given up on looking in there anymore!!!
Thanks!
well that's interesting, took their bloody time getting back into gear that's for sure :roll:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"
List o' new stuff:

atk-1.6.0
bzflag-1.10.4.20040125
cdrtools-2.00.3-sgipl1
ctags-5.5.2
cyrus-imapd-2.1.14
db4-4.1.25
fontconfig-2.2.0
glib2-2.4.0
gtk2+-2.4.0
hexedit-1.2.7
hpijs-1.4.1
imlib-1.9.14
libwmf-0.2.8
mozilla-1.6
mutt-1.4.2.1
openssh-3.7.1p2
pan-0.14.2
pango-1.4.0
par-1.1
pine-4.58
Ploticus-2.20
render-0.8
samba-2.2.8a
sip-3.1
swig-1.3.12
sylpheed-0.9.6claws
wv-0.7.6
xft-2.1.2
xrender-0.8.3
Beeeeeeeeeeep
"CLEAR"
*WHOOMP*
Beep-Beep.....Beep-Beep.....Beep-Beep

Nice to see Freeware living again. Though I wish they would have included their own build of FireFox as mentioned on the usenet:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&l ... ne.sgi.com

Thankfully we have Foetz!
THAT'S LIFE! :D

...COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!! :wink:
Dang!

It's unbelievable :-D
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?
Yep... What's also unbelievable is the dependencies that aren't satified with a suposedly all encompassing set of CDs...

Don't know if it's just me, but gtk2+ & xft updates require version of fontconfig & xrender that are not the ones on the CDs. furthermore, gtk2+ also needs a different version of xft than the one on the CDs...

Nice...
The message in a bottle is: IRIX for the desktop is not dead, even if there were no life signs for a long time.
Or has it died already and this is news from the other side?
Let´s have a look at the inst conflicts... and see.
edefault wrote: The message in a bottle is: IRIX for the desktop is not dead, even if there were no life signs for a long time. .

Oh how I wish that were true. It's taken SGI the best part of a year to throw together this rather sad update to it's freeware collection. I thought at the very least we would see the addition of Gimp-2 and the latest version of python and perhaps Firefox 0.8. If there's a message here at all it's that SGI could not give a fiddlers fart about IRIX or it's user base.
unixmuseum wrote: Yep... What's also unbelievable is the dependencies that aren't satified with a suposedly all encompassing set of CDs...

Don't know if it's just me, but gtk2+ & xft updates require version of fontconfig & xrender that are not the ones on the CDs. furthermore, gtk2+ also needs a different version of xft than the one on the CDs...

Nice...

Same thing happened to me. Had to override the conflicts to install the ones above...
A real half-arsed effort this time around...

Nik.
Some people.....

you give them something and still they bitch and whine.

Geez.
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?
colin wrote: "CLEAR"
*WHOOMP*
Beep-Beep.....Beep-Beep.....Beep-Beep

heheheh :lol:

Last time I saw that was in a troll post on a *BSD article in Slashdot.
Comedy gold anyway!

:D
-Nick
It's nice to see some new packages from the over-worked SGI volenteers. Those guys have been busting their chops for years keeping IRIX viable as a dekstop -- I sincerely appreciate their ongoing effort!

new IRIX software == good \:D/
whiter wrote: Some people.....

you give them something and still they bitch and whine.

Geez.

I hope you are not being serious...

I haven't complained about the stuff being uploaded to Nekochan even if there are problems with it as it is done by various people with little spare time who use up their spare time to do this for the rest of us.
There is little coordination and of course there can be problems.

The SGI freeware, although done by volunteers is meant to be coordinated and somewhat tested (at least the installation deps for crying out loud) before being released.
I believe that this was oen of the reasons not everyone is free to submit stuff to freeware (of course there are other reasons, but this was one of them)

Now, perhaps this stuff is still beta and this is why they haven't announced it, but then, why not have a beta directory...

Nik.
confusedhacker wrote: Regarding some of the problems in the latest freeware release, and the perception expressed by Mr_Ripley that SGI has towards it's Irix user base. Y'all are correct in stating that there is a new person trying to get freeware out the door. Humorous it is to see references to "3 freeware employees." Ha haha, ROTFL I was. Even at peak "track the quarterly Irix release schedule" there was only 1 person officially working on freeware, and even that was secondary to his "real" job.

Well, after this new piece of information I apologise for my harsh words. I wrongly assumed that freeware was still somewhat supported within SGI.
I DO appreciate the work that was done. I ws ust voicing my disappointment with the (minor) problems when looking at it in terms of the past releases which didn't seem to have any (or very few) problems.

All I can say, keep up the work! More choice is always good.

Nik.
We often think of SGI as a monolithic corporate entity -- and as such, it's easy to be critical. But universally (at least these days) I've been exposed to another face of SGI -- hard working and dedicated employees. (although their MBA-type business folks still seem to have their heads up they're arses.)

Likewise, it was easy to think of freeware as an army of individuals with big $$ backing it. The truth is, almost ever endevour is driven by a small number of indivduals. Usually one person, but if you are lucky maybe two or three. Don't believe the propaganda -- you can change the world. Look at what Neko's built here all by himself . Look at Jobs and Wozniak, the two of them changed the face of personal computing. Look at the Beatles, there were just four of them and they took the whole planet by storm.
whiter wrote: Hey there Chan!
Welcome!

Nice to hear about freeware from an internal. So it's even less supported than we thought, and $someone is trying to kick it out at all? Oh well... that's what we are for, right?! Let's keep on building those ports :-D

Indeed, keep building stuff!

whiter wrote: So you're the admin of reality. Did you make those neat 4Dwm scripts that allow you to make a website in 4Dwm style? Pretty cool stuff. It inspired me to make my very own version, for more modern webbrowsers/computers. As a matter of fact... time to do some more work on that! Has been lying in the dust for months now.

I didn't write the scripts, Jhon did and I simply encouraged him. :) He's got more free time than I do, I think...[/quote]
Updated fw builds with fixed dependencies, dayed 5/28 are now available at the sgi freeware site...

http://freeware.sgi.com/index-by-date.html

gtk2+, pango and xft...
If you had made CDs, then you'll have to make CD-2, CD-3 and CD-4 all over...
gtk2+ goes to CD-2, pango to CD-3 and xft to CD-4...
They've also updated their mirrors page to include Nekochan:

http://freeware.sgi.com/mirrors.html
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.