IRIX and Software

Dialog box split between dual monitor - Page 2

hamei wrote: you may have to just drag the menus where you like after they pop up.

I can't move them in Illustrator...they snap back to center.

I'd just move them and forget about the problem but they won't move. Also, the drop-down dialogs are blank - no copy is being written to them. It's tough when you're trying to navigate to a specific folder.
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
Oops, sorry :oops: I just went back and read the whole thread ... it's not entirely an Illustrator problem.

I don't have that much help to offer but ran a dcd for a couple years, at least. You are not seeing normal behavior. I can't remember if the dialog boxes of which you speak always opened in the center or not - both my channels displayed on the same panel - but I am sure I could move them around. They did not "snap back to center" at all.

Zo, you have more than one problem. Your Illustrator problems (empty file dropdowns and so on ?) sound like real Illustrator problems.

But the system dialog boxes, you've got something wrong. They should move and resize quite happily all over the screen, and from screen to screen even with a dcd.

And you can set those to start up at a predefined location by using .Xdefaults. The dcd just thinks it's one big screen. Use xdpyinfo to find how big your display is, then xwininfo to find the -geometry data for the window you want to control (after you size it and put it where you want it). Then put that info into whatever you use to start the program or into your Xdefaults and bob's yer uncle.

@ robespierre : was (probably) a bad font. Tried a couple others from the ol' OS/2 stash, converted 'em from pfb2pfa and they work perfectly. But there's no afm's in X ?
Juliet ! the dice were loaded from the start ...
My apologies, I should of been more clear. Only the pop-up windows in Illustrator snap back. All the other can be moved.

It's really not that big of a deal. I've learned to work around. Thanks for the info!
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
Vladio wrote: I, surprisingly, have no font issues. Okay, an occasional panic but relatively stable for the most part. The damn centered windows though.......

Just curious, No one else drives two monitors?

I did try driving 2 1280x1024 monitors, but like your issue, smoke just sat in the middle.. PAH I thought, and went back to a single one.

I gave up very easily.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
uunix wrote:
Vladio wrote: I, surprisingly, have no font issues. Okay, an occasional panic but relatively stable for the most part. The damn centered windows though.......

Just curious, No one else drives two monitors?

I did try driving 2 1280x1024 monitors, but like your issue, smoke just sat in the middle.. PAH I thought, and went back to a single one.

I gave up very easily.

There's a way around this, I'm sure. SGI surely had quite a few paid users with duals. I have to explore the good info hamei offered up. I was out of tech for about a decade and missed a lot so my skillz aren't where they need to be but my old grey matter has a quick uptake. :lol:
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
There probably is, your right, but after I used up all my effort getting the 1600sw to work on my Octane, then reverting back... it became a very quick decision.. give up for the time being.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
Vladio wrote: I'm trying to place an image in illustrator but the place dialog box is being centered on a dual head system. As you can see its half on the left and half on the right. The prob is the drop downs aren't being filled, I get the drop down box but they're empty. This happens on the shut down system box and most other boxes/windows. In illustrator I can't move it either, It snaps back.

I get pretty much the same behavior on all my multi-channel SGI systems, though the drop down boxes *are* being filled/aren't empty. The main Illustrator workspace/window and toolboxes open where ever I left them last and can be moved and placed at will; but most of the Illustrator dialog boxes open spanning the displays and snap back if moved. One system has dual-VPro heads (so two DCDs). In that case the Illustrator dialog boxes span the pair of displays assigned to the primary head/DCD. DCD-equipped Vpros aren't the only ones that manifest the issue, Illustrator dialog boxes also open spanning both monitors and snap back if moved on an InfiniteReality3 system.

I noticed the SGI port of Adobe FrameMaker provides a sample Xdefaults file ( /usr/adobe/FrameMaker/fminit/samplehome/Xdefaults ). Couldn't find where a sample Xdefaults file was provided with Illustrator, though there are some very minimal geometry settings inside /usr/adobe/Illustrator_5.5/app-defaults/Illustrator :

Code: Select all

!*Tools.geometry:          +0+50
*menuShell.geometry:       +200+0

As a follow up to robespierre's mention regarding the quality of Adobe's Quorum Latitude porting job, I noticed the following (commented out) entry in the app-default file:

! This still has some UI problems on SGI
!*sgiMode:  True
!*yseSchemes:  True
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote:
Vladio wrote: I'm trying to place an image in illustrator but the place dialog box is being centered on a dual head system. As you can see its half on the left and half on the right. The prob is the drop downs aren't being filled, I get the drop down box but they're empty. This happens on the shut down system box and most other boxes/windows. In illustrator I can't move it either, It snaps back.

I get pretty much the same behavior on all my multi-channel SGI systems, though the drop down boxes *are* being filled/aren't empty. The main Illustrator workspace/window and toolboxes open where ever I left them last and can be moved and placed at will; but most of the Illustrator dialog boxes open spanning the displays and snap back if moved. One system has dual-VPro heads (so two DCDs). In that case the Illustrator dialog boxes span the pair of displays assigned to the primary head/DCD. DCD-equipped Vpros aren't the only ones that manifest the issue, Illustrator dialog boxes also open spanning both monitors and snap back if moved on an InfiniteReality3 system.

I noticed the SGI port of Adobe FrameMaker provides a sample Xdefaults file ( /usr/adobe/FrameMaker/fminit/samplehome/Xdefaults ). Couldn't find where a sample Xdefaults file was provided with Illustrator, though there are some very minimal geometry settings inside /usr/adobe/Illustrator_5.5/app-defaults/Illustrator :

!*Tools.geometry:          +0+50
*menuShell.geometry:       +200+0

As a follow up to robespierre's mention regarding the quality of Adobe's Quorum Latitude porting job, I noticed the following (commented out) entry in the app-default file:

! This still has some UI problems on SGI
!*sgiMode:  True
!*yseSchemes:  True

Thank you, my friend!!! The window locations are controlled by the "*geometry:" line under "General Illustrator resources" in the "illustrator" file in the "app-defaults" folder. I set the values to +375+0 instead of the default +0+0 and the windows opens with it's left border 10 pixel or so off the left edge of the right screen.

Problem solved! Thank you to everyone that chimed in on this one!
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
One caveat that I'm seeing is that Illustrator is clipping those 375 pixels off the left part of the left screen. If I set my working window to the size of the left screen and try to draw a rectangle the left 375 pixels are blank. A work-around is to just use the right screen for the work window and the left screen for the tool windows.

Setting the value to the negative doesn't work.
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Vladio wrote: One caveat that I'm seeing is that Illustrator is clipping those 375 pixels off the left part of the left screen.

Even CS2 is rather peculiar to use. This OriginalMac-semitranslated-to-Irix version needs some work. I guess we're lucky to have anything.

I had high hopes for Inkscape at one time ... alas :(
Juliet ! the dice were loaded from the start ...
hamei wrote:
Vladio wrote: One caveat that I'm seeing is that Illustrator is clipping those 375 pixels off the left part of the left screen.

Even CS2 is rather peculiar to use. This OriginalMac-semitranslated-to-Irix version needs some work. I guess we're lucky to have anything.

I had high hopes for Inkscape at one time ... alas :(

I guess the good'ol days are gone now that it's all cloud based. Adobe's wet dream was to be the creative world's crack dealer - get everyone hooked on their wares then drop disk-based distribution and get everyone to pay monthly/yearly. A lot of my customers have moved up and I make them back-save their files to CS3, the version I have on my Mac Pro.
HP dual core 4GB 500GB