IRIX and Software

Irix Text Editor (GUI)

hi

Anyone know of text editor like Programmers Notepad that will complie/run on IRIX. I've used the usual command line editors and nedit, however i'm looking for somthing a little more modern.

Regards
I use jasspa micro-emacs; while I use the terminal version, I think there's also a gui version for people who prefer that. I wouldn't consider anything else, and works admirably on other architectures as well (alas, no vms...)

:Octane2: Dual R14k 600 V6, 2Go, HD (173Go, 34Go)
:Octane: R10k 400 MXE, 1280Mo / 2xR10k 300 SSE,...
:O2: R10k 195, 512Mo / R5k 180, 512Mo / R5k 180->200 motherboard and PM only
:Indigo2IMP: R10k 195, HighImpact, 160Mo/ R4400 125, Extreme, 160Mo
:O200: :O200: twin O200, 4xR12k 270, 2Go, HD (4x18Go)
:4D70G: 4D70GT... my very first one (now property of musée bolo and the foundation mémoires informatiques )
Mojo wrote:
i'm looking for somthing a little more modern.

what exactly is a modern text editor?

nedit for example has:
  • Unlimited undo
  • Secondary/quick action selections
  • Fully integrated rectangular selection
  • Interactive WYSIWYG dragable selections
  • Syntax highlighting
  • Auto-indent, programmable language-sensitive smart-indent
  • Block indentation adjustment
  • Parenthesis flashing and matching
  • Find lines directly from compiler error output
  • Tab emulation
  • Unix ctags support
  • Client/Server mode for integration with software development tools
  • Learn / Replay
  • Macros
  • Tabs

also it's very fast and slim and highly customizable. that's pretty much as good as it gets for a text editor and beats many others.
it has the classic look, too and isn't a bloated gui gimmicks blunder.

anyway i guess you need to define "modern" to get fitting suggestions ...

But I totally concur, after 15 years of very active development (paid for by the US Department of Energy) nedit has just about every feature that a programmer's editor should have. And it's almost infinitely configurable by it's preferences dialog, I particularly like how easy it is to add keywords to the syntax highlighting, and how easy it is to the change colors, boldness and italicization of the highlighting.

But with that said I'm pretty sure Vital will still sell an IRIX version of Crisp if you flag them with the right number of frogskins. Ubiquitous screenshots here: http://crisp.com/main-window/

Also, XEmacs works great on Irix...

Am I the only vi user here btw?

I'm an active Vim/IRIX user, too. I actually use the Vim for most of my programming works... (I still use the Motif GUI version from the SGI Freeware)

I'm another long time vi/vim user myself. And vim actually has a choice of GUIs if you compile your own. (See http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/gui.html ) I found the vim GTK GUI (on a Linux box) to be a gentle way of getting used to vi/vim...even after more than 10 years of struggling with command-line vi. The friendliness of the GUI version let me get comfortable with it, and now I find it a lot more useable even when the GUI isn't available.

got an old build of geany (2011), which is good for me.

If u like I can provide u with binaries.

Mexico
Mojo wrote:
... however i'm looking for somthing a little more modern.

I can't help wondering, what makes a text editor "modern" ? Could you describe the exact features that you are looking for ?