IRIX and Software

DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta - Page 1

Hi Everyone,

Just released a new beta version of my flipbook player and imaging utilities. There are lots of changes in this version, the main one being a new OpenGL accelerated imaging pipeline which should provide some nice speed boosts. Image I/O performance for uncompressed DPX and Targa files has also been improved; I would be very interested in any feedback from people using SANs or RAIDs.

Homepage: http://djv.sourceforge.net/
Downloads: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=118244

Couple of notes:
* Graphics hardware with texturing is now required to run the flipbook player.
* OpenEXR files are no longer supported with IRIX.
* IRIX QuickTime support requires the libiconv package from Nekoware.

Thanks!
got it right away, thanks!
Just curious - why did OpenEXR support drop?
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Because OpenEXR is no longer supported on IRIX?
dj wrote: Couple of notes:

Is there a way to download the older version so you could run it on hardware without texturing? I didn't find it on the site...
dc_v01 wrote:
dj wrote: Couple of notes:

Is there a way to download the older version so you could run it on hardware without texturing? I didn't find it on the site...

Sure, the previous versions are all on the Sourceforge downloads page . If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll see '+' next to 0.6.1 Beta and 0.6.0 beta - just click on the '+' to show the download list for that version.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: Just curious - why did OpenEXR support drop?

I'm now using OpenGL for all the image processing which ties the software capabilities to the hardware, and unfortunately I don't think SGI graphics hardware is capable of processing HDR images (*). Floating point color values get clamped to 0.0-1.0, and there's no support for shaders which are needed for the OpenEXR color correction. I'd certainly be happy to be proven wrong though. :)

On a positive note, regular images fly on my Octane 2 system. Uncompressed Targa and DPX files can be mapped directly to OpenGL, so there's almost no overhead when loading them.

(*) At least the older SGI graphics hardware I have access to. :)
dj wrote:
nekonoko wrote: Just curious - why did OpenEXR support drop?

I'm now using OpenGL for all the image processing which ties the software capabilities to the hardware, and unfortunately I don't think SGI graphics hardware is capable of processing HDR images (*). Floating point color values get clamped to 0.0-1.0, and there's no support for shaders which are needed for the OpenEXR color correction. I'd certainly be happy to be proven wrong though. :)

On a positive note, regular images fly on my Octane 2 system. Uncompressed Targa and DPX files can be mapped directly to OpenGL, so there's almost no overhead when loading them.

(*) At least the older SGI graphics hardware I have access to. :)

Ah okay - thanks for the info :) I'll try and update the blog page with this update sometime today.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: Sure, the previous versions are all on the Sourceforge downloads page . If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll see '+' next to 0.6.1 Beta and 0.6.0 beta - just click on the '+' to show the download list for that version.

Hmm, so, is my excuse that my monitor is locked to 800x600? Or the default "open in new window" is 640x480? Or that in either case, I'm incapable of seeing/using a scroll bar? I swear it wasn't there before!

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, neko, some of us seem to need it sometimes...
while using the open-file window i get console errors anyhow it seems like they don't affect the app

Code: Select all

XRequest.145: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation) 0x8c
XRequest.145: GLXBadDrawable 0x8c
XRequest.145: GLXBadDrawable 0x8c
XRequest.145: GLXBadDrawable 0x4c00005
XRequest.145: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation) 0x4c00005
XRequest.145: GLXBadDrawable 0x4c00007

btw could you add that the extension 'sgi' is recognized? since rgb file work i guess it won't be much work
foetz wrote: btw could you add that the extension 'sgi' is recognized? since rgb file work i guess it won't be much work

Don't worry; I wouldn't forget something like that. ;)

It should recognize images with the .sgi extension fine... I think something is going on with the offscreen-rendering that generates the image thumbnails; that's what's causing the GLX errors. Do you see other image thumbnails in the file browser? Also, what sort of hardware are you running?

Thanks, Darby
no, i don't see thumbnails at all. i tried it with an ir2e
foetz wrote: no, i don't see thumbnails at all. i tried it with an ir2e

Hmm... Something's definitely wrong with the offscreen-rendering then; I'll try and add some options to the next version for selecting different GLX visuals. Thanks for the feedback.
dj wrote:
foetz wrote: no, i don't see thumbnails at all. i tried it with an ir2e

Hmm... Something's definitely wrong with the offscreen-rendering then; I'll try and add some options to the next version for selecting different GLX visuals. Thanks for the feedback.

you're welcome. i'm gonna try some more specific tasks if you like. just let me know
I've downloaded the latest version of the fabulous djv player and when I
tried it on a bunch of targa's I get the folowing Error:

ERROR OpenGL Maximum Texture Size: 512

Does this mean my Octane 2 V10 Isn't qualified anymore ?

Also after I start the program on the commandline I get the following message on the same line :

bob@Octane2: /usr2/images %  djv_view
[codecinfo] Error: 5

What could this mean ?
I can feel it, my mind is going ....
ka0s wrote:
I've downloaded the latest version of the fabulous djv player and when I
tried it on a bunch of targa's I get the folowing Error:

Code:

Does this mean my Octane 2 V10 Isn't qualified anymore ?

That's odd; my V8 supports textures up to 2k. I'll see if I can find some information about the differences between the vpro cards (happen to know of any links?).

ka0s wrote:
Also after I start the program on the commandline I get the following message on the same line :
Code:
bob@Octane2: /usr2/images %  djv_view
[codecinfo] Error: 5

What could this mean ?

That's coming from the QuickTime library I'm using. I'll see if there's a way I can turn it off, it is kind of annoying.

Thanks for the feedback; this is my first version using OpenGL so it's a bit rough, but when it works it's much faster. I'll see if I can track down the texture problem or figure out a workaround.
dj wrote:
That's odd; my V8 supports textures up to 2k. I'll see if I can find some information about the differences between the vpro cards (happen to know of any links?).

Well the V8 has significantly more VRAM than the V10 (128MB with 104MB available for texture as opposed to 32MB with 8MB available for texture) so that may be the biggest factor at work here :) V8/V12 = 128MB and V6/V10 = 32MB.

Quote:
VPro Series
Option: Colour: RAM: Texture Memory (up to) Geometry Speed
V6 48bit RGBA 32MB 8MB Original GE speed
V8 48bit RGBA 128MB 104MB Original GE speed
V10 48bit RGBA 32MB 8MB 2X Faster GE speed
V12 48bit RGBA 128MB 104MB 2X Faster GE speed

All Rights Reserved.
8MB should still be enough for a 1k texture, but maybe it's limited to 512 so you can have a minimum number of textures... Anyways, what a pain, I wish OpenGL drivers did resource virtualization.

I'll see how difficult it is to come up with a fallback method...
That would be great I was anciously awaiting the OpenGL SPeedboost...... :cry:

Just a small bump to let everyone know I've release an updated beta, version 0.7.1. I've made some changes to try and improve OpenGL compatibility with SGI machines, so if people can try it out on different hardware and post feedback that would be very helpful.

Homepage: http://djv.sourceforge.net/
Downloads: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=118244

Thanks, Darby