IRIX and Software

DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta - Page 2

Thanks for the update Darby.

Here's some feedback on version 0.71.
It now works on my Octane2 with V10 Graphics.
Although when executing on the timeline I still get this error :
Code:
[codecinfo] Error:

The downside of this update is that it cannot display a tga sequence ( 1024x576 ) in realtime.
of the 25 fps it can only handle 12 -14 fps. The 720x576 tga sequence plays almost 18-22 fps.
Now I know that this is not a hardware problem since I can play this in realtime with
Blender. ( the software I made the tga animation with )

The resizing of anamorph material ( 720x576 ) to 16x9 ( 1024x576 ) is much better.
There's no decrease in speed anymore ( means that this resizing is done in realtime ) !

I tried to use the cache option and increased it to 512 MB but this didn't seem to make any
difference, still can't play 25 fps.
( this was tested on 720x576 and 1024x576 tga sequences. NON SCALED )

I really hope you succeed in optimizing this code for the SGI cause I really like it ;)

Code:
[codecinfo] Error:

That's the QuickTime library I'm using; I still need to see if there's an option to turn that off.

ka0s wrote:
The downside of this update is that it cannot display a tga sequence ( 1024x576 ) in realtime.
of the 25 fps it can only handle 12 -14 fps. The 720x576 tga sequence plays almost 18-22 fps.
Now I know that this is not a hardware problem since I can play this in realtime with

Are the tga files compressed? Also, do you know if blender caches them in memory or plays them directly from disk?

ka0s wrote:
The resizing of anamorph material ( 720x576 ) to 16x9 ( 1024x576 ) is much better.

Cool.

ka0s wrote:
I tried to use the cache option and increased it to 512 MB but this didn't seem to make any difference, still can't play 25 fps.

That's my bad; the cache feature is completely broken in 0.7.1. I have a 0.7.2 prerelease package that fixes this; I'll try and put a tardist together.

ka0s wrote:
I really hope you succeed in optimizing this code for the SGI cause I really like it ;)

Thanks! As long as you can help me with feedback I'll be motivated to keep the IRIX port going. :)
i installed djv ( specifically djv_0.7.2-pre1-2_i386.deb on a ia32 debian sid chroot running on an ubuntu dapper(64) on x86_64 )
i don't seem to get my preferences saved ( or i cannot find easy where to do that ), so if you can point me to, it'll be nice.

nice features , nice free software, i've used iridas framecycler for quite a long time, and am happy with djv's options.
i cannot get realtime playing (tried sgis and jpgs) if i use the zoom

i just installed it an hour ago, so don't take my reply as nothing more than an ancouragement.
good work!

nice to see one good gpl'ed flipbook software
cheers!
Hi,

el_bolo wrote:
i don't seem to get my preferences saved ( or i cannot find easy where to do that ), so if you can point me to, it'll be nice.

The preferences should save automatically; they are stored in your home directory like:

~/.fltk/djv-0.7.2-pre1/

Could you see if that directory exists and has a couple files like "djv_view.prefs" and "global.prefs"?
(Normally you don't ever need to edit those.)

el_bolo wrote:
nice features

Thanks! If you have any suggestions for other features, please let me know,

el_bolo wrote:
i cannot get realtime playing (tried sgis and jpgs) if i use the zoom

Can you give me some information about what kind of hardware you're using? Generally zooming in should go faster because there's not as much to draw.

el_bolo wrote:
nice to see one good gpl'ed flipbook software

Actually it's BSD; but, it's a fine line. :)

Thanks, Darby
DJV 0.7.0 was working ok.
Upgraded to 0.7.1 and on starting up djv_view it just dies out and spits :

Code:
XRequest.146: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) 0x32
XRequest.146: GLXBadContext 0x4800003
ERROR GLX Context Bind

I'm on a 400mhz r12k O2, Irix 6.5.22

Going to download and install 0.7.2 and see if that problem is fixed.

:O2: 400MHz R12k - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi
No 0.7.2 tardist available yet, so I had to downgrade to 0.7.0
I also get a codec error:

Code:
[codecinfo] Error:  xine

:O2: 400MHz R12k - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi
zahal wrote:
No 0.7.2 tardist available yet, so I had to downgrade to 0.7.0

Sorry for the delay; I should have a new version with tardist up in a couple of days. I'll post a message here to let everyone know.

zahal wrote:
I also get a codec error:

Yeah, that's on my todo list; those messages are coming from the QuickTime library I'm using for UNIX.

Thanks, Darby
dj wrote:
ka0s wrote:
Although when executing on the timeline I still get this error :
Code:
[codecinfo] Error:

That's the QuickTime library I'm using; I still need to see if there's an option to turn that off.

O.K. that must be easy compared to the optimizing stuff ... ;)
dj wrote:
ka0s wrote:

Are the tga files compressed? Also, do you know if blender caches them in memory or plays them directly from disk?

As far as I can tell does Blender play the compressed tga's realtime from disk.
When pressing play it play's the files realtime in one go, usually when playing from RAM the first run will be dropping frames.

dj wrote:
ka0s wrote:
I tried to use the cache option and increased it to 512 MB but this didn't seem to make any difference, still can't play 25 fps.

That's my bad; the cache feature is completely broken in 0.7.1. I have a 0.7.2 prerelease package that fixes this; I'll try and put a tardist together.

I see, looking forward to the tardist update !
dj wrote:
ka0s wrote:

Thanks! As long as you can help me with feedback I'll be motivated to keep the IRIX port going. :)

No thank you, for your effort in keeping the SGI platform alive !!!

~/.fltk/djv-0.7.2-pre1/
Could you see if that directory exists and has a couple files like "djv_view.prefs" and "global.prefs"?
(Normally you don't ever need to edit those.)

ok
that was my fault.i had some issue with my permissions, now it's all ok and working.
thanks

dj wrote:
Thanks! If you have any suggestions for other features, please let me know,

mm
i think it'll be nice to zoom with the mouse ... just like that ctrl+mouse click to move , but zooming when using another mousebutton.
(dunno if i explained myself , not native english speaker)

dj wrote:
Can you give me some information about what kind of hardware you're using? Generally zooming in should go faster because there's not as much to draw.

well, i think it's due to cache size.
i'm playing a sequence of sgis, with a total of ~50MB
it seems i need to set the cache on in order to feel it play smoothly.

but if i zoom in , i get a non_smooth playback again ( with 2048 in cache size )
i am running ubuntu gnu/linux on a dual core opteron with 8Gb of RAM.
i run djv in a chrooted debian sid inside that ubuntu

thanks for your time!

hehe, licenses ..
nice work!
el_bolo wrote:
had some issue with my permissions, now it's all ok and working.

Great!

el_bolo wrote:
i think it'll be nice to zoom with the mouse ... just like that ctrl+mouse click to move , but zooming when using another mousebutton.

I've changed the mouse a bit in the new version:

Left Mouse - Sample a point in the image.
Middle Mouse - Move image.
Right Mouse - Scroll through playback frames.

Maybe I could add:

Ctrl + Middle Mouse - Zoom in.
Ctrl + Middle Mouse - Zoom out.

How does that sound?

el_bolo wrote:
well, i think it's due to cache size.
i'm playing a sequence of sgis, with a total of ~50MB
it seems i need to set the cache on in order to feel it play smoothly.

Are the sgi files compressed? I may have to look at optimizing my decompression algorithm; kaos is also seeing bad performance with compressed TGA files.

el_bolo wrote:
but if i zoom in , i get a non_smooth playback again ( with 2048 in cache size )
i am running ubuntu gnu/linux on a dual core opteron with 8Gb of RAM.
i run djv in a chrooted debian sid inside that ubuntu

That sounds like a video card/driver issue; are you using the nvidia linux drivers? Does running debian inside of ubuntu affect their performance at all? (I'm not familiar with virtualization...)

Thanks, Darby
Hi Everyone,

Just a bump to let you know I've uploaded a new release, 0.7.2. Lots of changes in this one; hopefully I fixed more than I broke. :)

Highlights:

* Save movies and images from the viewing application.
* New customizable keyboard shortcuts.
* Expanded file sequence options.

Plus, specific to this thread:

* The new version should be a little more aggressive about choosing a GLX visual; so if you got an error last time about the frame buffer configuration, you might give it another try.
* Compressed Targa and SGI images should be faster at loading.
* You can zoom with the mouse by pressing Ctrl + Middle (zoom in), or Ctrl + Right (zoom out).
* No more cryptic messages from the QuickTime plugin.

Homepage: http://djv.sourceforge.net/
Downloads: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=118244

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Darby
I grabbed the lastest version (Linux RPM) and it installed just fine. I feed it a number sequence of .RGB file and it read and played them back very nicely.

If you are looking for feedback on what would be nice to see feature wise, I would look toward's Apple Motion software (part of FinalCut Pro), since that seems to be an analogous product. It would be nice to be able to manipulate the image sequence with some 2D effects such as motion blur, fade-in/out, etc. Perhaps they are already there and I just didn't see them.

Lastly, you could very easily (via ffmpeg) export to mp4--although for some reason it's SGI .rgb converter seems broken in the lastest snapshot of the source code.

Anyway, very nice!
squeen wrote: I grabbed the lastest version (Linux RPM) and it installed just fine. I feed it a number sequence of .RGB file and it read and played them back very nicely.

Good to hear, thanks. Do you mostly use SGI image files?

squeen wrote: If you are looking for feedback on what would be nice to see feature wise, I would look toward's Apple Motion software (part of FinalCut Pro), since that seems to be an analogous product. It would be nice to be able to manipulate the image sequence with some 2D effects such as motion blur, fade-in/out, etc. Perhaps they are already there and I just didn't see them.

I would very much like to add compositing and editing features, the work involved is a bit daunting though...

squeen wrote: Lastly, you could very easily (via ffmpeg) export to mp4--

I'm currently using libquicktime for movie support on IRIX and Linux, but for a number of reasons am thinking about changing that; I'll definitely take a closer look at ffmpeg.

squeen wrote: although for some reason it's SGI .rgb converter seems broken in the lastest snapshot of the source code.

The SGI image file format is pretty well documented, it should be an easy fix?

Thanks, Darby
dj wrote: Good to hear, thanks. Do you mostly use SGI image files?

Yes. As you said it's simple to code into your project.

I'm currently using libquicktime for movie support on IRIX and Linux, but for a number of reasons am thinking about changing that; I'll definitely take a closer look at ffmpeg.

I hadn't seen libquicktime before. Looks like a nice API. How do I get djv to export my sequence as a quicktime mov? Can I control the compression settings?
squeen wrote:
dj wrote: Good to hear, thanks. Do you mostly use SGI image files?

Yes. As you said it's simple to code into your project.

The only caveat I was going to mention is that it's a bit slower than my TGA reader (from having to interleave the image data). But as a file format, I do prefer SGI to TGA.

squeen wrote: I hadn't seen libquicktime before. Looks like a nice API.

I'll just say it's not my favorite, and would like to change to something else. :)

squeen wrote: How do I get djv to export my sequence as a quicktime mov? Can I control the compression settings?

You can create a QuickTime movie either from the command line, or from the viewer:

Command line:

> djv_convert input.1-1000.sgi output.mov

You can select the codec, but there aren't controls yet for fine-tuning compression options:

> djv_convert input.1-1000.sgi output.mov -quicktime_save_codec jpeg

(Note, I haven't tested many of the libquicktime codecs...)

From the viewer, open your file sequence or movie, and select the File->Save menu option. You can change the codec in the preferences dialog, under the Image I/O tab.

Darby
Nice QT export. (DJV_view works fine on IRIX as well here.) As for codec, H.264 encoding seems to be supported in libquicktime. My experience with it in FinalCut is that is kicks serious ass--but you'd want to add separate field in the GUI for setting the bit rate (I usually go high for HD ~18-21 MBs)

BTW compositing and simple motion blur is easy, just shove your frames into the OpenGL accumulation buffer.

Even if you only added one other clip "timeline" then it would be very nice for simple video editing--a simple 1-2 sec cross-fade transition between clips would do the trick.

You have in/out mark points, but is there a way to trim at marks?

All-in-all very neat. We have in-house simulation visualization back-end that spits of number RBG images. I've been doing one of the following.

1) coverting first to jpeg and making mp4 using ffmpeg in a script
2) tar'ing up the images, sending them to a Mac, renaming the .rgb to .sgi and bringing them into Apples' Motion and then into FinalCut.

Both are too limited or cumbersome. It'd be nice to have a native IRIX/Linux option. Rewriting FinalCut is impossible, but with a couple of small tweaks, you'd have everything we need! 8-)
squeen wrote: Nice QT export.

Thanks! Definitely consider this beta software though; I haven't put too much time into testing the QuickTime stuff yet.

squeen wrote: (DJV_view works fine on IRIX as well here.)

That's good news; I've only tried it so far on VPro and O2. Do you mind if I ask what type of GFX you're using?

squeen wrote: As for codec, H.264 encoding seems to be supported in libquicktime. My experience with it in FinalCut is that is kicks serious ass--but you'd want to add separate field in the GUI for setting the bit rate (I usually go high for HD ~18-21 MBs)

Unfortunately the open-source H264 code is GPL, and I'm not entirely sure what legal ramifications that has (DJV is BSD licensed). One option I guess would be for me to supply a package that linked with the user's version of libquicktime, which they could then install with the X264 code.

squeen wrote: BTW compositing and simple motion blur is easy, just shove your frames into the OpenGL accumulation buffer.

Even if you only added one other clip "timeline" then it would be very nice for simple video editing--a simple 1-2 sec cross-fade transition between clips would do the trick.

Do you use any titling for your videos? Or simple compositing, like adding a logo?

squeen wrote: You have in/out mark points, but is there a way to trim at marks?

It's been awhile since I've used a video-editing app, do you mean adjust the in/out points after they are set?

Thanks, Darby
dj wrote:
That's good news; I've only tried it so far on VPro and O2. Do you mind if I ask what type of GFX you're using?

I tried a Tzero with V12. I can also try an Onyx with IR4.
Unfortunately the open-source H264 code is GPL, and I'm not entirely sure what legal ramifications that has (DJV is BSD licensed). One option I guess would be for me to supply a package that linked with the user's version of libquicktime, which they could then install with the X264 code.

You could just try dlopen() of the quicktime lib and mapping the functions it uses. If it fails, report to the user that it can't find libquicktime and then wash your hands of it.

Do you use any titling for your videos? Or simple compositing, like adding a logo?

Yes titles are very nice, but that means AA fonts and fades etc. Right now I plan to add it to our backend and bake them in the video.
squeen wrote: You have in/out mark points, but is there a way to trim at marks?

It's been awhile since I've used a video-editing app, do you mean adjust the in/out points after they are set?

I just meant that once I have the video loaded into djv_view, can I select a section for cut-and-paste (or just cut) somehow.
squeen wrote: I tried a Tzero with V12. I can also try an Onyx with IR4.

I was just curious; if it's useful to run it on the Onyx that would be cool to know it works, but otherwise don't worry about it.

You could just try dlopen() of the quicktime lib and mapping the functions it uses. If it fails, report to the user that it can't find libquicktime and then wash your hands of it.

That's basically what I'm doing now, but I have the libquicktime API wrapped in my own plugin which I then dlopen. I currently bundle libquicktime (and most of the other libraries I use) with my packages because I'm worried about incompatibilities between shared objects; I got burned on a previous release where my GCC compiled binaries would dump core when trying to load a MipsPro binary.

squeen wrote: I just meant that once I have the video loaded into djv_view, can I select a section for cut-and-paste (or just cut) somehow.

There's no general cut and paste yet, but if you mark in/out points the save function will use them when exporting a movie.

Darby
Hi Darby,

Have been extremely busy but I finally found the time to try your latest release.

I tried the 0.7.2 version and its great !!!!
It plays back compressed targa sequences in real time ( 720 x 576 - 25 fps ) even when scaled up to 16x9 .... !)

This is better then the performance I get with Blender or even shake ........

Your the Man !
I can feel it, my mind is going ....