IRIX and Software

Couple of New User Questions - Page 2

Been hoping for something like this for years! Thanks a lot! :D

/shoe
shoe wrote:
Been hoping for something like this for years! Thanks a lot! :D

/shoe

Your welcome, I glad that someone else finds it usefull :)

I have found it hard to understand why basic things like adding an icon to Icon view, adding a new menu to the toolchest, adding a background image etc, recuired the user to modify text files. Where is the GUI tools to this I always thought?
When I started to use IRIX in 1995 it was the most wonderfull media GUI around! All the little cool stuff you could do,the easy handling of files in the fileviewer, the preview of images, the cool crached chevy 57 icon of the core dumps, the sound affects, the drag and drop functions etc were just wonderfull.
And then the GUI development just halted :(

I guess they had probably fixed this if they hadn't lost focus and if Jim Clark hadn't left SGI.
So IRIX GUI is somewhat frozen in time off the mid 90.

I have wanted to fix some of these shortcomings for some time but as I'm no C developer I couldnt do it.
But when I realized that typerules could expand the built in menu system it was very easy, not more than 10 lines of scripting so I'm surprized that no one had thought about it before.

On the other hand maybe professional IRIX users actually USE their SGI boxes instead of playing around with them.
:D

I have more stuff I'm working on to simplify basic task that I will polish upp and release when I get some free time.

//deBug

:D

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that most SGI boxes were used to run only a single app, and pretty much dedicated to it. So having lots of fancy icons wasn't a real big concern, given the number of programs they actually used...
Hi, I have installed the package (both times) as a root, from the README instructions. I have added some new pictures into my backgrounds file (with the right click of my mouse).

I use Irix 6.5.22 (mips3 R4400 250, Indigo2 - Solid Impact 1280*1024 24 bit).

I can select (APPLY) a picture from the desktop->customize->background but I cannot see this to my background. I still can only see IRIX default backgrounds.

Do you have a solution for that ?
dir_marillion wrote:
Hi, I have installed the package (both times) as a root, from the README instructions. I have added some new pictures into my backgrounds file (with the right click of my mouse).

I use Irix 6.5.22 (mips3 R4400 250, Indigo2 - Solid Impact 1280*1024 24 bit).

I can select (APPLY) a picture from the desktop->customize->background but I cannot see this to my background. I still can only see IRIX default backgrounds.

Do you have a solution for that ?

Sorry, No idea.
It seems the script is doing its job if it shows up in the background dialog. Why Irix wont display it is a mystery.
Have you tried with a couple different images, perhaps with different formats - jpg, tiff etc?

//deBug

All other people here use tiff or gif pictures for their backgrounds ? ... because they say, they liked the script

I have to report that my other SGI O2 that runs Irix 6.5.29 has the same problem !! :cry:
dir_marillion wrote:
No, I have only Jpeg pictures in my indigo2 (and I am wating for the Next Releases of Neko, for mips3).

All other people here use tiff or gif pictures for their backgrounds ? ... because they say, they liked the script

I have to report that my other SGI O2 that runs Irix 6.5.29 has the same problem !! :cry:

As I said the script is doing it's job.
You have to figure out why you IRIX boxes dont display your Images, thats why I sugested trying other images (smaller ones, maybe different format)

Sorry, but the script still is not running here. I have Indigo2 (Solid Impact) with 6.5.22 and an O2 with 6.5.29 24bit desktop enabled in both machines, I have a lot of different pictures in different formats. The right click works, the picture goes to the backgrounds, but it is not working as a wallpaper.
The other Irix's backgrounds have no problem.

Please let me know If you have any idea what is happening.

Thanks
Yessssss ! thanks for this fabulous script Debug ;)
Waiting for other good ideas.
'bravo'

dir_marillion wrote:
Sorry, but the script still is not running here. I have Indigo2 (Solid Impact) with 6.5.22 and an O2 with 6.5.29 24bit desktop enabled in both machines, I have a lot of different pictures in different formats. The right click works, the picture goes to the backgrounds, but it is not working as a wallpaper.
The other Irix's backgrounds have no problem.

Please let me know If you have any idea what is happening.

Thanks

Hi mariillion
I think I know why it is not working on your computer.
Happened to me on a newly installed box today.
The problem was a dot in the path to the image.
So make sure there are no dots or spaces in folder or file names and it should work for you.

Ill see if can get this fixed and wrap it up in a tardist.

//deBug

Yes, yes, try to fix it please as it is a super script :-)
... and thanks of course
Okay, just tried this as Root and as a user but I can't get the images to show up in the Background list either. I'm running 6.5.22f with a Vpro6 graphics card. I've logged out and reboot but still no joy.

Did a solution ever get found. The references to the images are being added to my .backgrounds file.

thegoldbug
==========

These backgrounds run on platforms with ODYSSEY graphics.

background "Twilight"
command "-execute /usr/sbin/twilight"
default "-execute /usr/sbin/twilight"
exeok "/usr/sbin/twilight"

background "SGI Logo"
command "-execute /usr/demos/General_Demos/powerflip/powerflip -Rs -o -0.3426,-0.2307,-0.1561,0.8971 -p 0.5316,0.3363,-0.3676 -b /usr/demos/General_Demos/powerflip/data/background3.defs /usr/demos/General_Demos/powerflip/data/logo.ydl"
default "-execute /usr/demos/General_Demos/powerflip/powerflip -Rs -o -0.3426,-0.2307,-0.1561,0.8971 -p 0.5316,0.3363,-0.3676 -b /usr/demos/General_Demos/powerflip/data/background3.defs /usr/demos/General_Demos/powerflip/data/logo.ydl"
exeok "/usr/demos/General_Demos/powerflip/powerflip"
readok "/usr/demos/General_Demos/powerflip/data/background3.defs"
readok "/usr/demos/General_Demos/powerflip/data/logo.ydl"

background "Loading.JPG"
default "-image /HD2/MarigoldWebReportingSystem/Loading.JPG"

background "fatcat1.gif"
default "-image /HD2/0_GBC/fatcat1.gif"

background "994+190.JPG"
default "-image /HD2/MarigoldWebReportingSystem/994+190.JPG"

background "994+190.JPG"

background "Loading.JPG"
default "-image /HD2/MarigoldWebReportingSystem/Loading.JPG"

background "994+190.JPG"

background "994+190.JPG"

Cathode 23#

:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
Is my problem related to the fact that I haven't "prepared" my images to be backgrounds? I mean they are just normal JPGs. Do I need to "convert" them for use first?

thegoldbug

:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
Okay, been working on this and by setting the depth to 24 bit true color ( http://software.majix.org/irix/desktop-depth.shtml ) I'm able to get a background I downloaded off of Nekochan to show up in the background list.

This has worked on several of my JPG files but only after I opening them using Image editor (file, open) and save them as JPGs are the files actually recognized by IRIX as jpgs. Can someone clue me in on why that is?

thanks
thegoldbug

I have a fresh install running on my 180mhz O2

I try and run the ./install script and get the error...- Permission denied
why I am running it as root

O2 Irix 6.5.30m
Octane Irix 6.5.30m
Octane 2 Irix 6.5.30m
FreeNAS Server 1.8 TB FreeBSD

background "030.jpg"
default "-image 030.jpg"

My screen is at 24 bit color

Thanks
dir_marillion wrote:
Finally right click "add to the backgrounds", then the file .backgrounds has this * to the list inside.
Also: Desktop-> customize-> backrounds, checking this jpeg but the picture does not go to the background.

background "030.jpg"
default "-image 030.jpg"

My screen is at 24 bit color

Thanks

Was your last post a statement or a question ?
I don't understand what you are trying to say.

//deBug

Anyone have a mirror or alternate link for this? 404 basically. Trolled additional downloads and nekoware but no love. :-\

G'day,

Anyone have a mirror or alternate link for this? 404 basically. Trolled additional downloads and nekoware but no love. :-\

I had a hard disk crash around Christmas.
I'm still working on the restore.

You can now download it here http://zachrisson.net/sgi/AddToBackgrounds/addtobg-ver1.0-IRIX6.5.22.tar