IRIX and Software

Couple of New User Questions - Page 1

Hi all.
I have written a typerule and a script that makes it a bit easier to use images as backgrounds in IRIX.

Once installed you can select one or several images and right clicking it you will get a pop up menu "Add to backgrounds".
After that the image will show up in the backgrounds settings.
This will work for JPG, BMP, SGI, TIF and GIF images.

You can download the stuff here http://zachrisson.net/addtobackgroundsmenu.zip .
After you unzipped the folder you just run the install script, wait a minute or so for the typerules to reconfigure and you will have the menu installed.
The computer needs to be running IRIX 6.5.22.
Let me know if you have any problem that needs fixing.

//deBug
Works great! Only issue I can see is that distributing as a *.zip loses the execute bit on 'addtobg' and 'install' (which is why tar files compressed with gzip/bzip are so prevalent ;) ).

OK, sorry for that, no IRIX machine turned on tonight so I was a bit lazy :)
Next release will be tared. I might even tardist it if I get some time to learn how to do that.

Nice to hear that it is working!
OK, I tared it up for you all.
Get it here http://zachrisson.net/addtobg/addtobg-irix6.5.22.tar

Here is some screenshots that explains what it does.

After installation select
either several images by draging:

or select a single image:

right click and use the bottom menu "Add to backgrounds":

The image(s) are now added to your backgrounds settings, just start the background setting dialog:

And there you will find the newly added image. The name of the image is taken from the file name:

Just select it and click "Apply" and you got yourself a new background in a few seconds.

Enjoy!
//deBug
Added this to the blog. Thanks!

Added this to the blog. Thanks!

I'm honored.
For an IRIX guy that's like being slashdotted :D
neat thing. thanks!!

sorry ppl i install this and get the "Add to backgrounds" option on right click, then i choosed one jpg image, when i go to Desktop > Customize > Background - i don`t see it in list... i restarted, i have irix 6.5.22m ? sorry i`m stupid

This might be a silly question, but do I have to run this as root to get it working? I've just run it as myself and I'm getting loads of permission denied errors and I appear to have lost all my icons. :oops:

EDIT: Logged out and the icons are back. Though I still don't have the cool right click option. Note the image I am trying is a jpeg.

Now off to find some cool stuff to pretty up my O2.

Quote:
...and I appear to have lost all my icons.

Ya i haved the same situation, when installed i lost all my icons then when restarted the icons are back, i login as root too and this one not works for me :(

This might be a silly question, but do I have to run this as root to get it working? I've just run it as myself and I'm getting loads of permission denied errors and I appear to have lost all my icons. :oops:

EDIT: Logged out and the icons are back. Though I still don't have the cool right click option. Note the image I am trying is a jpeg.

Now off to find some cool stuff to pretty up my O2.

Yes, you have to be loged in with system rights as the script puts a file in /usr/sbin and I guess also the rebuild of the typerules can only be done by root or other admin account.
But once you have installed it the menu should be available for all users.

//debug
cybercow wrote:
Quote:
...and I appear to have lost all my icons.

Ya i haved the same situation, when installed i lost all my icons then when restarted the icons are back, i login as root too and this one not works for me :(

The dissapearing icons is due to me restarting the desktop after the typerule is installed. I had the same effect on one of my testcomputers.
It seems that restarting the desktop has this sideeffect some times.
I will do some research to see if this can be avoided.

Regarding your problem, once you have installed it as root, do you get the menu ?

If so try to add an image using the pop up menu and then open the file .backgrounds in in a text editor like jot or nedit.
The .backgrounds file is located in your home folder (if you are loged in as root the file is located in the root)
Then scroll down to the bottom of the .backgrounds file and see if your newly added image file is referenced there (the path to the image file should be found on a couple of lines).

Let me know the result and I'll see if I can nail the problem for you.

//deBug
T
I've re-run the script as root and it works beautifully.
Tidy work deBug.

Perhaps you could add that extra info to the README file, just so dumb noobs like me know how to get it working. :wink:

I was just being cautious about running stuff as root, not really in the mood for an IRIX reinstall.

Quote:

So...

all u described works ok

- i have the "Add to backgrounds option" on the menu when rightclicked an image file
- i checked the .backgrounds file u described and the pic IS added to the end of the file -> here i posted the file (html format) http://www.emedia.hr/sgi/.backgrounds.html the two last records are added tru your menu option

but here the story ends i NOT have the added pictures in the LIST when going to "Desktop > Customize > Background" ...
can`t track the gap :( (is maybe because i have 8 bit gr. ? or is not important)

Thnx

cybercow wrote:
Quote:

So...

all u described works ok

- i have the "Add to backgrounds option" on the menu when rightclicked an image file
- i checked the .backgrounds file u described and the pic IS added to the end of the file -> here i posted the file (html format) http://www.emedia.hr/sgi/.backgrounds.html the two last records are added tru your menu option

but here the story ends i NOT have the added pictures in the LIST when going to "Desktop > Customize > Background" ...
can`t track the gap :( (is maybe because i have 8 bit gr. ? or is not important)

Thnx

I haven't tested it on 8 bit gfx, but it might be a good test to set the gfx to 24 bit, or is that not possible with your hardware?

Anyway the script seems to do it's job as the info in your .backgrounds is correct.
The background setting dialog should take it from there, your sure you not just missed the new entry in the listing as it is sorted alphabetically? (your new entry will not be att the bottom if you already have other entries)
SupremeCmdr wrote:
I've re-run the script as root and it works beautifully.
Tidy work deBug.

Nice :)

Quote:
Perhaps you could add that extra info to the README file, just so dumb noobs like me know how to get it working. :wink:

I was just being cautious about running stuff as root, not really in the mood for an IRIX reinstall.

Sure thing, I might even do a test in the install script and give a warning if one is not loged in as root to aviod future problems.

//deBug
Well, it's running very well and easily.

Thanks DeBug