SGI: Discussion

Prism workstation is out! - Page 5

87Porsche wrote:
I don't like the chocolate Pop-Tarts. The strawberry ones are better.

Yup!; pretty much the same! Two kids fighting! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Octane / Dual Head

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
should we bet?
how about some quotes? :lol:

i dont normally bother telling people here, but the main update is the mips debugger so it may be of interest to people who want to reverse-engineer the boot roms
:)
gack, must get around of building that one again.

I'm on the mailing list and last builds by me were 0.70. They are now at 0.96. Would be neat to see openGL improvements :)
dexter1 wrote:
I'm on the mailing list and last builds by me were 0.70. They are now at 0.96.

well i'm one of the 2nd tier dev'rs and it's actually reached 0.96.3 :P
Diego wrote:
87Porsche wrote:
I don't like the chocolate Pop-Tarts. The strawberry ones are better.

Yup!; pretty much the same! Two kids fighting! :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, it is two PEOPLE having a normal technical discussion... a pretty civilised and normal thing really. People having different points of view, whoah what a concept!

I don't really appreciate being called a "kid" OK?
R-ten-K wrote:
I don't really appreciate being called a "kid" OK?

Sorry, was not my intention to offend any of both; really. But It's just that these angle of discussion SO MANY TIMEs was exposed here in Nekochan.Net, and the only thing that changes actually are the posters, but always are saying the same things...

"that", and only *that* is the thing that many times exposes the people posting those things as being kids fighting by different brands of theirs dady's car, or who can piss to longer distance. None other thing. I'm not implying that the discussion is with a low techinical level, or even a low intelectual level!; Nothing of this!

I'm not questioning the quality of the posts, OKAY?
Cheers! ;)

Octane / Dual Head

Well; if we can back to the topic, I'm interested to ask if anyone here in the forum currently has tested the new "Silicon Graphics Prism Deskside", as far as I know, some companies are buying the new workstation from SGI, to accomplish several kind of tasks.

So, the cover of the SGI main site shows a few of them, where I'm specially interested on the following:
SGI and VRSim Announce North American Reseller Agreement and Debut VRSim Mock-Up on Silicon Graphics Prism

Anyone here was trying at some point the FireGL Graphics Card X2PRO-256, or X3-256 ? :roll:

Please, I want just objective results, benchmarks, or any kind of relevant tests against other graphic subsystems from other actual vendors.Please, avoid any kind of off-topic flames about MIPS Vs. Intel, or ATI Vs. VPro. I already know what is IRIX, MIPS, and CRM or VPRO, so, just avoid the distractings about "Coneheads Vs. Roundheads", since we already have enough of this! Another thread could be created to discuss topics as "BlueGene L Vs. Columbia"! ;)

So, who truely knows here how good is This compared to previous generations of ATI Graphics Adapters?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers! ;)

Octane / Dual Head

Diego wrote:
Well; if we can back to the topic, I'm interested to ask if anyone here in the forum currently has tested the new "Silicon Graphics Prism Deskside", as far as I know, some companies are buying the new workstation from SGI, to accomplish several kind of tasks.

I have played with one a little, especially with the IRIX binary x-lator... Looked to work OK to me with a visualization application (although not extremely compute intensive, but it was still an IRIX binary as this particular application does not run on Linux). I'm going to get a loaner to further test with different IRIX-only applications... I am still questionning the reasoning behind an IA64 desktop as I don't think there are that many desktop type of applications that support IA64, so we might end up running Open Office for IRIX through the x-lator :lol:

I think a better solution for my needs is an Altix and other deskopts (Tezro maybe, or dual 600 Octane2)...
unixmuseum wrote:
I have played with one a little, especially with the IRIX binary x-lator... Looked to work OK to me with a visualization application (although not extremely compute intensive, but it was still an IRIX binary as this particular application does not run on Linux). I'm going to get a loaner to further test with different IRIX-only applications...

Hi UM! ;)

okay, so, you're the guy. Let us know then what do you think about their global stability, and specially the graphic subsystem stability under stress conditions. I'm really interested. Even more: use the Quick-Transit translator as you have done! :D

...I know that these software does not converts a Prism physically on MIPS/IRIX box, but seems that really goes closer as possible.

unixmuseum wrote:
I am still questionning the reasoning behind an IA64 desktop as I don't think there are that many desktop type of applications that support IA64, so we might end up running Open Office for IRIX through the x-lator :lol:

Well, I can't mention a single one reason of the top of my head now, but if they are really speedy, that could be one. But you are right about the applications, there is only a few certified applications currently. That's the point of my whole "back to the topic", I want to know how strong is the new platform to re-think about ports for my current developments.

unixmuseum wrote:
I think a better solution for my needs is an Altix and other deskopts (Tezro maybe, or dual 600 Octane2)...

I'm really inloved of Tezro, and seems a really great tool, in fact a dream box for any desktop... I don't think I could change a Tezro by any other thing on this computers universe today.

In fact my O2/600MHz performs so well, that when I think in four 1GHz processors running inside a bigger blue toaster my face presents a smile gesture very difficult of define! :lol:

(By the way, you have P.M.! )
Cheers! ;)

Octane / Dual Head

hi IRIX users !
have a quite nice link for You ,
since while You are browsing the nekochan net
simultaneously ohter things seems to be happened ! :D
so , if you agree , try this :p http://pingfm.org/live.html
maybe , there is a possibility and as desired by
the comunity of nekochan net , we could collect
some free radiostations and add them to the links on
nekochan.net .
100%MipsUser
nice recording
octavia
p.s.this may be also interesting for some of You : http://www.thocp.net/index.htm
:roll: enjoy !