SGI: Discussion

Remote control

I'm trying to use one mouse and keyboard to control three machines, a WinXP box, Octane and an O2 across three monitors using the XP box as the master. I've tried Teleffect but it does not like XP that well. I was looking at getting Win2VNC to work but I need an IRIX version of VNC that does not open a framebuffer like x0rfbserver. But I lack the skill to get it to compile for irix. Any ideas?
KVM?
uhh no. I want to be able to move the mouse across the screens. Teleffect between SGI's works fine, its just when I put XP into the mix.
SparcV wrote: uhh no. I want to be able to move the mouse across the screens. Teleffect between SGI's works fine, its just when I put XP into the mix.

Get rid of XP?
--
lisa
lisp wrote: Get rid of XP?

HAHAHAHAHA
:lol:
lets say I do blow away XP and say put on *BSD and I wanted to do the same thing. But if I did that I can use x2x. I dont really use XP for anything except when then I game which is almost never.
Would TightVNC from the SGI freeware site help out? (I know it's slow.) I would also be interested in a solution if you find one. I have resisted upgrading from WinNT 4.0 as my IRIX-2-Wintel conversion platform, precisely because Teleffect works so well with it. I've wonder about the rdesktop stuff posted on this site as an alternate solution, but havn't tried it yet.
try if the program 'x2vnc' will compile on irix.

It's like x2x. Start it on an SGI box and let it connect to your windows XP box (running a VNC server).
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?
Works great from my Octane2 6.5.19 to a Windows NT laptop running the TightVNC server 1.2.8 (WinVNC from http://www.tridiavnc.com/ I think) for windows. Was easy to compile as well:

1) downloaded from http://www.hubbe.net/~hubbe/x2vnc.html

2) uncompressed and de-tar'd

3) %./configure

4) %gmake

5) %x2vnc -east servername:0

Thanks! Maybe I'll upgrade the laptop to Win2000 sometime this decade.
Just to make it easier for everyone I built a tardist:

http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/downloads/x2vnc-1.5.1.tardist
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
sweet, I'll try it when I get home
Nice one neko! You´re the best!
The Bandito wrote: In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...
speaking about tardists:

what should one do to create a proper tardist of any properly compiled program?
man swpkg

The manpage is actually pretty good.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
ah.
swpkg.
going in.

*puts scuba gear on*
Boy. Lately, nothing seems to be working for me.

I ran vncserver on the IRIX box and x2vnc on a Linux box, but even though the x2vnc client prompts me for the desktop password and says I've connected, and the pointer disappears when I go off the edge of the screen. There is no pointer motion on the Tzero.

Here's the Xvnc log on the Tzero:
22/06/07 16:43:28 Got connection from client 192.168.10.101
22/06/07 16:43:28 Protocol version 3.3
22/06/07 16:43:31 Full-control authentication passed by 192.168.10.101
22/06/07 16:43:31 Pixel format for client 192.168.10.101:
22/06/07 16:43:31 32 bpp, depth 24, big endian
22/06/07 16:43:31 true colour: max r 255 g 255 b 255, shift r 16 g 8 b 0
22/06/07 16:43:31 no translation needed
22/06/07 16:43:31 Using hextile encoding for client 192.168.10.101

See anything fishy? Man I'm been batting zero lately with this Tzero!
squeen wrote: Man I'm been batting zero lately with this Tzero!

Sounds like you need someone to take it off your hands, cheap.

Rid yourself of these problems...
:)
I dont see anything fishy in that log.. I think the nothing to translate is saying 24bit to 24 bit no translation needed...

Dont worry unless you took a really big drink from the cup of management (see Dilbert) you'll get the knack (see Dilbert) again... I swear my boss can kill an entire server room of machines just by walking by... Sometimes everything I touch I fuck, I call them sexy times, and other times every time I walk in the room and solve 5 problems in 10 minutes with zero effort.. "I don't know what this program is meant to do but, isnt this expression inconsistent with the syntax you just explained to me.." ...

My advice is to go play in the sun for a while.

Regan
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000
Still trying to ditch one keyboard & mouse.

Here my latest puzzler:

I can run the vncserver on the Tzero and vnviewer into it from the Linux box...
-OR-
I can run the vncserver and vncviewer into it from the IRIX box....
-BUT-
I can't get x2vnc to take over the mouse or keyboard (accept input) in either direction, even though the the client logs in fine, the server log shows a connection, and the pointer disappears when it goes off the east (right) edge of the screen on the client.

Worse still, I've gotten this working many times before with my Octane. Yeesh!

Any ideas? Does the resolution of the two screen have to match?
I just tried the x2vnc software between Linux and IRIX again from my Octane--everything connects but I still get zero mouse/keyboard activity on either system. Definitely not the way I remember it working.

However I got a small ray of sunshine. I installed x2x on the Linux box and did the following via SSH (with X11 forwarding enabled on the Linux ssh deamon)

Code: Select all

irix% ssh -Y linuxhost
linux% x2x -east -from: 0

That's it. It working fine the other way as well if you build x2x on the IRIX machine. The USB mouse (w/ wheel) works in IRIX too.

I did an

Code: Select all

linux% xhost +

at some point as well, but I don't think it was needed.

Peace at last!