SGI: Discussion

Email from SGI Support - Page 1

Received this email on Sunday night? Anyone else get one?

Clicked on the link from a VM it says This site is undergoing maintenance.

https://support1-sgi.custhelp.com/app/a ... word/cred/ [################################]

I haven't re-registered or anything, but do have membership from many many moons ago.

Code: Select all

Support Account Creation
An account was automatically created for you but you can't login until your password has been set.
Your username is: ******
Your registered email address is: *********************

Click the following link to continue to a page where you can enter your new password.
Reset my password

Please note that this link will expire 24 hours from the time it was sent.

SGI Global Customer Support Center
http://www.sgi.com/
Contact us: http://www.sgi.com/support/supportcenters.html

NB: Information in this message is SGI confidential. It is intended solely for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may not be copied, used, disclosed or distributed to others without SGI consent. If you are not the intended recipient please will you notify me by email or telephone, delete the message from your system immediately and destroy any printed copies.
Corporate Office: SGI, 900 North McCarthy Blvd. Milpitas  CA 95035, USA
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
I received exactly the same email with exactly the same content.
When I clicked on the link this morning, the site was under maintenance.
:Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :O3x02L: :A3502L: :PrismDT:
xiri wrote: I received exactly the same email with exactly the same content.

Ditto - but hovering over the link I did not like the look of the URL so did not click. Sounds like I've not missed much!

Correct username/email address is a little worrying, if it is a phishing attempt. I'm used to emails purporting to come from a bank with which I've never done business - at least I know the sender is working entirely in the dark.
Fuel ; Indigo2 ; Octane ; RiscPC Kinetic/448MB/RISCOS4.39 or Debian-etch; Dell Inspiron4100/P3 1GHz/1GB/Debian-stable; EspressoPC ViaC3/900MHz/256MB/Debian-testing; RPi B RISCOS5.23; Rpi2 Raspbian-jessie; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21; R140/35MHz/4MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21
format of the url is obviously for phishing
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
I got the same thing - I assumed they were migrating to a new system. The URL doesn't appear to be malicious - it's an Oracle owned, cloud based service portal (Oracle RightNow).
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Got the e-mail, too. The mentioned link leads to

Code: Select all

https://support1-sgi.custhelp.com/app/account/reset_password/cred/and-here-comes-a-pretty-long-unique-string-to-identify-the-custom-url

I think it is really bad practice to send these kinds of password reset e-mails from anything else than the original domain, i.e. sgi.com . But then, that's just my 2ct. ;-)
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy:
Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies.
We are all being targeted by the SUN/DEC/[fill in gap] forums people.. It's war I tell you!
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
nekonoko wrote: I got the same thing - I assumed they were migrating to a new system.

Me too.

Actually, I got a fairly similar e-mail almost exactly a year ago (Oct. 12, 2014) telling me my that my Supportfolio account was about to expire since I hadn't logged in for a year (at that time). So I assumed that this one was either something similar (although mis-worded as a new account) or that maybe they were migrating accounts to a new system as Nekonoko suggested.

In any case, I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one who is wondering what's going on!
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000
jpstewart wrote: I got a fairly similar e-mail almost exactly a year ago (Oct. 12, 2014) telling me my that my Supportfolio account was about to expire

I get those every year too as I don't log in anymore, just once a year when I get the reminder. I used to log in regularly when they had the developer program - you could download the "locked" patches and updates with it. Unfortunately they pulled that access long ago. :lol:
All Rights Reserved.
I got the email too. Logged into the old supportfolio system and it doesn't seem like anything has changed. It's even still complaining that I have several machines registered but none are validated. (because they told me over the phone years ago that I need proof of purchase)

I've gone ahead and contacted SGI's support center here in Canada to see if they can provide an official word on what is happening.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Wowza that was fast.

Hello,

Please try to log in in your account in Supportfolio without changing
anything. If you have access then this email that you received has to be a
mistake.
If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to email us back.

Kind regards,
SGI Support

Looks like the mail server burped and sent the email to more than one person by accident.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Thing is dying... Sounds like its last gasp ! :lol:
:Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :O2:
New email from SGI announcing new portal has just arrived.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
They also updated the link from the first e-mail to a page that announces the launch on the 9th.
All Rights Reserved.
Logged on the new support web. No Irix downloads or Cool Software, just Knowledge Base. Irix is also deleted from the main SGI portal... That's the end!!!

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
IRIX is now legacy software.

Software > Legacy Software > Operating Systems > IRIX

It seems to contains some of the previously available stuff. I did not manage to find the 6.5.22 update you could download with a free account. Oh, and many of the patches are linked to their describing document—hence they are in the category "Documentation".

On the other hand, I'm glad there is still the free accounts access to the SGI support site. Compare this to Oracle or HP. Even while I have access to Oracle database stuff (from my work account), everything regarding Solaris or old Sun hardware is still locked behind the paid maintenance contract.

I hope they keep the old techpubs.sgi.com untouched since it is quite well organised.
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy:
Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies.
tomvos wrote: IRIX is now legacy software.

Software > Legacy Software > Operating Systems > IRIX

It seems to contains some of the previously available stuff. I did not manage to find the 6.5.22 update you could download with a free account. Oh, and many of the patches are linked to their describing document—hence they are in the category "Documentation".

I don't know whether it's the new organization but I'm finding lots of useful info :)
tomvos wrote: I hope they keep the old techpubs.sgi.com untouched since it is quite well organised.

I updated my mirror this morning just in case they decide to pull it...
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Love that they've decided to outsource the whole site to custhelp.com. Even the account reset email. One more thing that helps people be taken in by phishers. "Well it looks like an SGI email, and I know not all of their URLs are under sgi.com, so I'll click the link in this message from [email protected] and enter my information." Feh. They're hardly the only offender...

That aside, glad they're still offering what they do, etc.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
Titox wrote: Logged on the new support web. No Irix downloads or Cool Software, just Knowledge Base. Irix is also deleted from the main SGI portal... That's the end!!!

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'm going to go pour some whiskey and drink to it's memory.
"Apollo was astonished, Dionysus thought me mad."
:Octane: :Octane: :O2:
jan-jaap wrote: I updated my mirror this morning just in case they decide to pull it...

Good idea. It'd be awful if Techpubs disappeared without a copy existing somewhere.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2