SGI: Discussion

Anyone want a 10,000 core SGI ?

http://gizmodo.com/5091473/sgi-molecule ... wesomeness

So it's just an overgrown Linux box but still impressive ... once it exists :-)

Mark
:Fuel:
Certainly sounds interesting, kinda goes along the lines of what sun has been doing lately
:Indy: :rx2600: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
*HARD*

oh wait, just a mock up? never mind...
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
sybrfreq wrote: *HARD*

oh wait, just a mock up? never mind...

*LIMP*

Runs, cough, linux... Oh boy
-ks

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :320: :540: :O3x0: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
LOL April fools early this year?
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
The following comes to mind:

Might at least be worth running FAH or something similar on it.

Also, I hope the Cube Logo on the front stays.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Awesome...

" can be combined with breakthrough Silicon Graphics® Kelvin™ cooling technology to pack more than 10,000 cores into a single rack."

This is somewhat different than the first article which speaks of 5000 dual-core atoms in 3u and 5000x8W=40kW also in the same 3u :) .

edit: Shouldn't do math after 22.00 :)
Nekochan.net -- where Linux is a four letter word.
hmmmm... 8Wx5000= 40Kw

:)

Never mind the 40Kw in a 3U factor... I wanna know how SGI thinks they are going to package 5000 atoms in the volume of a 3U

Sad that they are coming down to this though... come on...
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
This really is the worse sort of 'if we could do A, B, C & D' - no substance...

Like R-ten-K says
hmmmm... 8Wx5000= 40Kw
- that is a MASSIVE amount of heat.
Even 20kw in a full rack is a big big deal....
:ChallengeL: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :O2000R: :O2000R: :O2000E: :O2000E: :Onyx2R: :O3000: :0300: :0300: :0300: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:
a fully equipped BlueGene/P rack (4096 PPC450 cores), which i suppose this concept is mostly targeted against, is rated at around 40kw too..

But i agree, this is obviously just vaporware for now.. and the gizmodo interpretation of it even more so ;)
A fully loaded blue gene takes significantly more space than a 3U rack.

The packaging tech needed to get 10K cores in there ain't trivial. Besides, where are they fitting the memory, what about interconnection, etc? Is this coming directly from SGI?
R-ten-K wrote: A fully loaded blue gene takes significantly more space than a 3U rack.

Obviously :) But, as was pointed out, the SGI press release appears to be talking about 10k cores in a full rack, i.e. something comparable in size to the BlueGene rack. Not 10k cores in a single 3U module as the gizmodo bit claims..