Hardware Wanted

Looking to get back into SGI hardware

I live in Colorado, Denver exactly and am looking for some SGI hardware to get back to learning IRIX. If anyone has anything ready to go, please let me know. I do not have a lot of money, but may be able to swing something together if all looks good. I am coming into this from nothing so please keep this in mind.

Thank you,

Fred
I may be looking to sell my Indigo2 IMPACT Workstation (R10K @ 195MHz, 256MB RAM, DVD, SCSI HD, Impact Graphics, marble keyboard and mouse).. what are you looking to spend?
I am not sure what they go for. Can you give me a range you are looking at?

Thank you.

Fred
By way of comparison there's always a handful of them for sale on Ebay. None of them actually ever sell, but... :lol:

Link [ebay.com]: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=sgi+indigo2&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=sgi+indigo2+workstation&_sacat=0
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
Vishnu, going by those prices, I may have to pass. This is mainly for hobby grade IRIX exploration purposes. I am mainly a Windows/Linux guy and thought this may be a way to learn Unix on the cheap.
The best advice I can give you - brace up with patience and wait.
You will likely find someone who lives nearby, and either is willing to give some SGI away, or asks reasonable(low) price for them.

Cheers.
[click for links to hinv] JP: :Fuel: | :O2: | :Indy: || PL: [ :Fuel: :O2: :O2+: :Indy: ]
An R4400 or R4600 Indy might be a good choice and more in your pricepoint, or maybe an O2.

I get a lot of wear out of my R4.4K Indy and I didn't pay a great deal for it (I think I bought it for $150 or something).
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Thanks everyone. I will be patient and keep a lookout for local hardware.
Look on craigslist, there was a guy in Michigan trying to sell an IMPACT 10000 for ten bucks last week... :shock:

EDIT: That one's expired but here's a guy in New Baltimore, MI with a duel 250 Octane for 50 bucks. That's pretty low end for the Octane line but it would way kick as over any Indigo2. The main bummer would be that shipping an Octane is orders of magnitude more difficult than an Indy2... :roll:

Link: http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/sys/3595063108.html
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
... and take care that if you preffer thinkering with IRIX in late / night hours - which has a special magic attraction at least for me, powering on anything bigger than an Indy / O2 will / can produce strange reactions on your housemates faces, varyng from simple and innocent arguing up to total and delibered anti-you revolution :)
cybercow wrote: ... and take care that if you preffer thinkering with IRIX in late / night hours - which has a special magic attraction at least for me, powering on anything bigger than an Indy / O2 will / can produce strange reactions on your housemates faces, varyng from simple and innocent arguing up to total and delibered anti-you revolution :)

You get your desksides in pairs and swap them in for the endtables/coffee table supports/whatever.

Make a comment about how much road noise has increased to divert attention from the blowers.

IndyFred - I haven't sourced any I2s/Indys in a while, but I'd think you could get something for $50-$75 easy. Mine (bought when that gen were being replaced at Boeing) were $25-$35. Keep your eyes open for Octanes or cheap Fuels as well, since those are the ones coming out of the few sites left now.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote: ... bought when that gen were being replaced at Boeing ...

Did that model come with the lithium batteries ?
Vishnu - I emailed the seller asking about shipping costs. We will see.

Thanks everyone, I will stay patient and sooner or later one will show up.

Fred
I've got an Octane 2 + some extras if you want it just pay for shipping and whatever you feel like I would be good with. I believe it had 2gb of ram, V6 and a Dual R12k 300.
:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 (2x) :O3x0: 4x700mhz R16k/4GB :PrismDT: 2x1.6ghz 8mb/12gb/SAS/2xFGL
Adrenaline - I am most interested. Can you let me know what you think shipping would be to 80247?

Can you send me images please?

Thanks!

Fred
IndyFred wrote:
Adrenaline - I am most interested. Can you let me know what you think shipping would be to 80247?

Can you send me images please?

Thanks!

Fred

I will check to make sure it's still 100% before I go any further, it's been probably 6-7 months since I last turned it on, luckily I have second nearly complete V6 Octane sans a working power supply so I could pull parts if need be. I imagine it'd be ~$60-$70 from Maryland to you, Octane's aren't lightweight in the least unfortunately.

:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 :O3x0: 2x700mhz R16k/4GB
Yes, please let me know as I am still interested.

Thank you!

Fred