Hardware Wanted

Sun Ultra 10 - Page 1

Want to get rid of that ancient, low end u10? Wife want it out of the house?

I can recompense you for the shipping and alleviate the emotional pain of trashing old computers. :lol:

Basically I want to play with a u10, it was the first UNIX system I got to use. I want to relive the memories. I cant pay much and they aren't worth much... but I would rather save one from a fellow channer instead of feeding the beast (ebay).

NOTE You cannot use Virtual Disk Manager to create or to shrink physical hard drives.
Put me down for one of those, too. It would be a nice step up from my U5. If local, I'll happily drive over and pick it up from you.

Seriously. The u10's cost almost nothing, but the prices people charge for shipping on ebay is weak.

If I still lived in Fremont I could probably pick a dozen out of the garbage. :P
Bumping, still want.

If you got one, name a price.
Bumping works!
PM sent.
mike

Seriously. The u10's cost almost nothing, but the prices people charge for shipping on ebay is weak.

If I still lived in Fremont I could probably pick a dozen out of the garbage. :P

Tell me what dumpsters you're diving into!!! I'm finding it hard to find even older Macs, much less anything more exotic than that...

Don't waste your time or money. Look for a Blade 150 or 1k (or over), or even an Ultra 60/80. U10s can have Creator graphics and a bit more memory than a u5, but it doesn't feel like much of a difference. Something with an UltraSPARC II (full II) or III would be much better, and the Blade 150s have improvements in several subsystems over U5/10.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
SAQ wrote:
ChristTrekker wrote:
Put me down for one of those, too. It would be a nice step up from my U5. If local, I'll happily drive over and pick it up from you.

Don't waste your time or money. Look for a Blade 150 or 1k (or over), or even an Ultra 60/80. U10s can have Creator graphics and a bit more memory than a u5, but it doesn't feel like much of a difference. Something with an UltraSPARC II (full II) or III would be much better, and the Blade 150s have improvements in several subsystems over U5/10.

Agreed - unless it's got sentimental value like it does for VenomousPinecone (or you think it's particularly cool, although I don't see why you would) there's no point to a U10. There are better Sun hardware deals to be had.

I still have a v880 that's up for sale if anyone would care to come pick it up or pay for shipping. Would make a killer box if you'd add graphics. If you're deaf. And if you wouldn't mind having a 120kg monster in your computer room. :P

In the U5, 1GB ram needs a floppy removal.

So its the same motherboard.

I am in Sweden, otherwise I have more than enough of them and would be glad to swap for SGIs :)

/michael

risk.
bri3d wrote:
Agreed - unless it's got sentimental value like it does for VenomousPinecone (or you think it's particularly cool, although I don't see why you would) there's no point to a U10. There are better Sun hardware deals to be had.

My U5 was a freebie. That's a hard budget to beat when looking for Sparc upgrades. I don't know about where you live, but here, anything that's not x86 fetches a premium. It's very rare indeed to come across good deals on any SGI/Sun/whatever equipment.

My U5 was a freebie. That's a hard budget to beat when looking for Sparc upgrades. I don't know about where you live, but here, anything that's not x86 fetches a premium. It's very rare indeed to come across good deals on any SGI/Sun/whatever equipment.

Which is why I suggested you make your dollars count and skip the U10 "upgrade". A Blade wouldn't cost much more and would be much better.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
SAQ wrote:
ChristTrekker wrote:
bri3d wrote:

Which is why I suggested you make your dollars count and skip the U10 "upgrade". A Blade wouldn't cost much more and would be much better.

I agree. Though I still consider a blade 100/150 a waste of cash, a blade {1,2}{0,5}00 of any variety can be had for fairly cheap and would be a much better performer.

:O3000: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: <--challenge S
zmttoxics wrote:
SAQ wrote:

I agree. Though I still consider a blade 100/150 a waste of cash, a blade {1,2}{0,5}00 of any variety can be had for fairly cheap and would be a much better performer.

I suppose I was kind of hoping I'd eventually stumble upon a freebie U10, too. ☺

What kind of prices do these go for? Honestly, I don't even see them offered anywhere locally, so I've no idea. Whenever I do see one online, the asking price is well over $100, which is ludicrous for a machine that's only comparable to PCs that people readily throw away. I only assume these are people who don't know what they've got, but know that it's a "high end science computer!™" of some kind.

So you know where I'm coming from, my hobby budget is, like, $10/year. So unless it's something I need for the family computer, it's pretty much gotta be a freebie.

I have however in the past managed to get Blade 1500s for $80 a piece for my work (helps that we bought like 30 of them but it happens).

Almost got a free E250 this weekend, but couldn't get to pick it up quick enough. ☹ That would have been a nice step up from my U5!

I don't think anyone could pick up an E250 quickly, you'll do yourself an injury. :)
porter wrote:
ChristTrekker wrote:
Almost got a free E250 this weekend, but couldn't get to pick it up quick enough.

I don't think anyone could pick up an E250 quickly, you'll do yourself an injury. :)

They do have wheels though... :)