Hardware For Sale/Trade

FS: V6 with XIO carrier

So I broke my piggy bank and bought that V10 from jwhat and now I'm selling my VPro V6 with the XIO carrier (hoping to recover some of the cost)

Seeing that there was a V6 here earlier for $250, that'll be my price as well. The board works 100% and I'll ship wherever you want via UPS as long as you pay for the shipping (customs/duties are your responsibility, too). If nothing happens here I'll put it up on eBay next.
How much 'better' is V6 over a stock MXI (which is what I have now)
i should be able to tell you any day now. i bought the 'other' $250 v6 here and it should get here any day now.

as soon as i have it in i will give a report (i have MXI now as well)
ubi dubium ibi libertas
I never had MXI so I cannot really say. I figure performance wise VPro should be better being a next generation after.
Any thoughts on performance? I'd consider if it provides a huge benefit over MXI, but since MXI does texturing (plus I also have a spare MXI) and offers decent 3D speed, good 2D speed, and leaves open the possibility of PVO, I'd have to be convinced.

:)
VPro is faster, newer, and more reliable than previous Octane graphics. And if you have modern CRT, you get the benefit of crisp 96 Hz! But, unless you really need the power of VPro, save your money for for more RAM, a faster drive, or a faster CPU.

For the little OpenGL tinkering I do, my Indigo2 MaxImpact felt just as fast as the MXI Octane I used to work with, and just as fast as the V6 Octane I'm currently borrowing. In my own case, I'm aiming for 1xR10K/250 SE+Tex for the Octane I'm wanting to buy or piece together. I some day hope to upgrade that to 2xR10K/250 2MB L2. O2 with the 600+ MHz RM7000C mod is also interesting to me as it would give just about the right CPU performance and plenty of OpenGL power for what I do.

If you need ultimate OpenGL performance, get VPro. Period.
Dr. Dave wrote: Any thoughts on performance? I'd consider if it provides a huge benefit over MXI, but since MXI does texturing (plus I also have a spare MXI) and offers decent 3D speed, good 2D speed, and leaves open the possibility of PVO, I'd have to be convinced.

I can share my experience so far, comparing a V10 to SSE and SI+TRAM.
My applications are 3D CAD/CAE, i.e. heavy openGL requirements, with optional texture/environment/clearcoat mapping (sometimes a lot of it!). V10 does great in standard graphics, and does wonderful in textures. I uploaded two textured object pics, class-A type of surface (very heavy surface definition, hard on graphics cards). I get real time dynamic viewing on the V10, 1280x1024@60Hz

http://forums.nekochan.net/modules.php?set_albumName=album95&id=iware_tex&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

http://forums.nekochan.net/modules.php?set_albumName=album95&id=iware_envmap&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I'm pretty sure the V6 would do pretty much the same, minus the resolution limitations... This is a departure from SSE or SI+TRAM for sure... Interestingly enough, V10 does as well on untextured and much better (that the big surprise!) on textured than a 128MB nvidia Quadro 1000...
unixmuseum wrote:
Dr. Dave wrote: Any thoughts on performance? I'd consider if it provides a huge benefit over MXI, but since MXI does texturing (plus I also have a spare MXI) and offers decent 3D speed, good 2D speed, and leaves open the possibility of PVO, I'd have to be convinced.

I can share my experience so far, comparing a V10 to SSE and SI+TRAM.
My applications are 3D CAD/CAE, i.e. heavy openGL requirements, with optional texture/environment/clearcoat mapping (sometimes a lot of it!). V10 does great in standard graphics, and does wonderful in textures. I uploaded two textured object pics, class-A type of surface (very heavy surface definition, hard on graphics cards). I get real time dynamic viewing on the V10, 1280x1024@60Hz

I'm pretty sure the V6 would do pretty much the same, minus the resolution limitations... This is a departure from SSE or SI+TRAM for sure... Interestingly enough, V10 does as well on untextured and much better (that the big surprise!) on textured than a 128MB nvidia Quadro 1000...

Whoa, very cool! What app is that in your screenshots? Sure looks snazzy!
colin wrote: Whoa, very cool! What app is that in your screenshots? Sure looks snazzy!

Imageware... It's a commercial application for class-A surfacing and reverse engineering, somewhat like Alias|Studio... The V10 is loving it!
So basically a V6 is really a 1280x1024x24@96Hz beast then... if you can run it at that speed, then you're good to go.
Dr. Dave wrote: So basically a V6 is really a 1280x1024x24@96Hz beast then... if you can run it at that speed, then you're good to go.

Even better than that... at 1280x1024@96Hz, V6 can do 16 byte pixels, which gives you double buffered, depth buffered, 48 bit color (12/12/12/12 RGBA).
1280x1024@96Hz works great.

But expect to pay some extra dough for a monitor that will support 96Hz. I'm sure you could find a refurb one for cheap. Otherwise you're at least looking at 5-600 for a CRT that will support 96Hz.

Or if you've already got one then you're set. :D
crap - I have a Samsung Syncmaster 700NF (with the BNC connectors) and was planning on possibly using that - but it looks like at 1280x1024 it only goes up to 89 Hz - though I haven't been able to determine that absolutely as the marketing material is verrah verrah vague.
Ok all this is confusing me. I have a SONY SDM-S94 with dvi-d and Hd-15 so how well will this work with V6? I was thinking of switching, but it seems like a hassle.
Omega_Trion wrote: Ok all this is confusing me. I have a SONY SDM-S94 with dvi-d and Hd-15 so how well will this work with V6? I was thinking of switching, but it seems like a hassle.

Might be a hassle (read "disapointmnent"). Take a look at http://www.sgi.com/products/remarketed/octane2/display_resolutions.html and see if there is a matching resolution for your LCD (making sure you read the footnotes)