Hardware For Sale/Trade

11-rack ALTIX 3000

legalize wrote: http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucdsclnk?sl=91QSCI13132715

A shame I was just there, probably could have gotten my grand parents in SJ to hold onto it for me.
:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 (2x) :O3x0: 4x700mhz R16k/4GB :PrismDT: 2x1.6ghz 8mb/12gb/SAS/2xFGL
jeez looking forward to the final price :P
r-a-c.de
It could go quite high, gsa extends the auction when people bid on it near the end, so there's no effective last-second sniping :)
Hrm. Having lunch with a friend who works at Ames today. (Edit: Who says it's literally sitting just outside his lab!) But that doesn't give me a place to put it or the means to move it...
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
OMG, that is really a huuuge guy.
Image _ Betty Blue _
R12000A 400 Mhz ; 1 Gb RAM ; 72 Gb 15K HDD; IRIX 6.5.29
CrystalEyes; Dial Box; O2Cam "ZEYE"; external Toshiba SD-M1711 DVD-ROM; Octane speakers;
Lock bar; SGI microphone.
Mods: PSU Noctua fan; internal Toshiba SD-M1401 DVD-ROM; Adaptec AIC-7880P SCSI card.

_ REKIEM_I7 _
Seasonic X 1250W PSU / Intel I7 2600k 4 x 5,00 Ghz / 2 x Gainward 2Gb GTX 560Ti Phantom 2 / 32 Gb DDR3 / Intel x25-M 160 Gb SSD and 10 extra Tb
_ REKIEM_T5400 _
875W PSU / 2 x Intel Xeon Harpertown 4 x 3,33 Ghz / 1 x EVGA Geforce 4Gb GTX 980 Supercloked / 32 Gb DDR2 667 ECC / Samsung 840 Series Pro 128GB SSD and 3 extra Tb
_ Raspberry Pi _
:|
Sweet, they appear to be 3700Bx2's (8 processors per brick). They've got the water chilled doors as well, this was the best of the best before the 450/4700 came out.
:A3504L: :320: :1600SW: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2+: :Octane2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
How come things like this don't go somewhere they can be used ? No smaller colleges, universities, institutes doing anything that can utilize a fairly powerful computer ? Sure, it's a step back but for $2,000 you get a lot of oomph ... It's not like this is twenty years old and less powerful than your average telephone.
The bidders are anonymous, so you don't really know where it went unless someone reveals they bought it. My suspicion is that this went into the SGI reseller market and someone will sell it to a company or other organization that can put it to good use. At $9500 it didn't go to a scrap dealer.
@ $9500 it definitely went to a scrapper, they will pay about $800-1000 each for a fully loaded Altix rack
and more then double their money.
There's that much precious metals in one rack?
dhjj wrote: @ $9500 it definitely went to a scrapper, they will pay about $800-1000 each for a fully loaded Altix rack and more then double their money.

legalize wrote: There's that much precious metals in one rack?

No, but gold is expensive ( ~ $50/gr). At that price you need to recover just 40g of pure gold (per rack) to double your money.

There's probably more gold in my computers than in my wife's jewelry :mrgreen:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
legalize wrote: The bidders are anonymous, so you don't really know where it went unless someone reveals they bought it.

I am not up to date on GSA auctions but DoD items used to go to auction after they were offered to other government facilities, then schools, then non-profits. If no one wanted it, the item was sold.

So I am kind of flabbergasted that the Knowledge Society doesn't have anyone with a use for a five year old supercomputer running the de facto standard software of our day. Hell, for ten grand you'd think the American Enterprise Institution would buy it, set it up in a room and pretend they used it.
Remember, unless you inspected this in person, we have no idea of knowing what's in the racks. The auction doesn't state explicitly. They could be full of CPUs C bricks, or they could be empty.
legalize wrote: Remember, unless you inspected this in person, we have no idea of knowing what's in the racks. The auction doesn't state explicitly. They could be full of CPUs C bricks, or they could be empty.

For future information, you can call them up and they will do all they can to get you photos and information. Contrary to the Koch Brothers propaganda, the GSA really does try to do its job. And in this case, the one or two photos they had of the insides showed them as full to the gunnels. Numalink cables twelve deep, it looked like the basket of snakes in Vanishing Point . Look at the doors, too :(

Two million dollars to light up the Bay Bridge wow ! look at us ! we're so cool with our Made-in-China bridge ! but not even ten grand for something that could contribute to real knowledge. Sad. Americans are crazy.

rattlers.jpg
rattlers.jpg (26.43 KiB) Viewed 604 times