SGI: Hardware

Need Help DVD Burner on Origin 3000

Need help setting up and getting to work a DVD Burner that I have installed externally onto my SGI Origin 3000. The device is plugged into the USB# 1 port on the I-Brick. I have not installed the "freeware" software that SGI has on there site yet I wanted to see if anybody out here has some better ideas first.

Matthew
how about HyCD?

http://www.hycd.com
I'm almost 100% positive than you cannot use the usb ports for anything but a keyboard, mouse, the usb iMic, and I think there was a pair of usb speakers. But definatly not for an external CD/DVD at this point.
WolfLord - :4D70G: :Octane2:

"Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun" - Troy McClure
the link to the store for hycd is dead, anyone know how much is it?

anyone working on the port for xcdroast .98?
I have xcdroast on my porting list. will try and get to it one of these days. HyCD is roughly 1300 US$.
wolflord wrote: I'm almost 100% positive than you cannot use the usb ports for anything but a keyboard, mouse, the usb iMic, and I think there was a pair of usb speakers. But definatly not for an external CD/DVD at this point.

Do you know for certain that the 3000 even works with usb keyboard and mouse ? Fuel comes with ps/2 keyboard and mouse even tho it has the usb ports and the manual doesn't say anything at all about using usb accessories :( Guess I could go buy one and see, hunh ?
No, I don't know for certain that USB keyboards/mice will work with the USB ports. Only one way to find out though...
WolfLord - :4D70G: :Octane2:

"Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun" - Troy McClure
mkatl976 wrote: Need help setting up and getting to work a DVD Burner that I have installed externally onto my SGI Origin 3000. The device is plugged into the USB# 1 port on the I-Brick. I have not installed the "freeware" software that SGI has on there site yet I wanted to see if anybody out here has some better ideas first.

Matthew

xcdroast is supposed to be able to do that just fine... Works great on IRIX for CDs, haven't tried with DVD (came close though, via firewire).

There is also Gear Pro, which I haven't played with, but it's supposed to let you burn DVDs... http://www.gearsoftware.com/products/prounix.cfm
any reason not to use the cdrw/dvd tools on SGI's freeware site?
TeeTylerToe wrote: any reason not to use the cdrw/dvd tools on SGI's freeware site?

Command line only and you need to run as root (iirc) but I've burnt several CD's that way. Late Irix supports udfs but don't know if the cd-writing tools on freeware can use it ?
wolflord wrote: No, I don't know for certain that USB keyboards/mice will work with the USB ports. Only one way to find out though...

Okay, I can now confirm that a USB mouse does indeed work on a Fuel. Guess I'll ASSume that the keyboard does also and pick up one of them spiffy-looking charcoal USB mouse/keyboard sets.