SGI: Hardware

firewire card... I don't get it...

I got the same SIIG card jwhat has: SIIG NN-400P12, TSB43AB23 (Ti single chip).
I plug this thing into my Octane and hinv reports:
IEEE 1394 High performance serial bus controller 0: Type: OHCI, Version 0x104C-1 0 instead of DM10 like jwhat reported...

I was running 6.5.24, and now 6.5.25 and still don't see DM10...

I tried fwprobe and it's coming back with: fwError: unable to access firewire driver

Am I missing something? DM10 1.01 is installed...

I'm going to try on an O2 to see if anything happens, but in the mean time, does anybody have any suggestion?
unixmuseum wrote: I got the same SIIG card jwhat has: SIIG NN-400P12, TSB43AB23 (Ti single chip).
I plug this thing into my Octane and hinv reports:
IEEE 1394 High performance serial bus controller 0: Type: OHCI, Version 0x104C-1 0 instead of DM10 like jwhat reported...

I was running 6.5.24, and now 6.5.25 and still don't see DM10...

I tried fwprobe and it's coming back with: fwError: unable to access firewire driver

Am I missing something? DM10 1.01 is installed...

I'm going to try on an O2 to see if anything happens, but in the mean time, does anybody have any suggestion?

Hello UnixMuseum! ;) ,

I'm a lot happy!, today I've founded (Thanks to GOD!) an Adaptec AFW 4300 PCI FireConnect card, and the, once installed phyisically IRIX shows up as a DMediaPro DM10... :)

...now; I must say that I've not installed even the DM10 SGI drivers; and I'm just about download this ones now!

Tomorrow I'll test it with a Panasonic MD9000 (same as AG DVC-7 (NTSC), but PAL-B); I know that it is not the best MiniDV cam to find for a test, since the Panasonic non-standard firewire implementations, but it is the only firewire device handy here... :roll:

Of course; as soon as check at full if it works, I'll start the libfw C++ wrapper, to add firewire support to VideotrackerRT!!! :D /
Diego wrote: Hello UnixMuseum! ;) ,

I'm a lot happy!, today I've founded (Thanks to GOD!) an Adaptec AFW 4300 PCI FireConnect card, and the, once installed phyisically IRIX shows up as a DMediaPro DM10... :)

...now; I must say that I've not installed even the DM10 SGI drivers; and I'm just about download this ones now!

Tomorrow I'll test it with a Panasonic MD9000 (same as AG DVC-7 (NTSC), but PAL-B); I know that it is not the best MiniDV cam to find for a test, since the Panasonic non-standard firewire implementations, but it is the only firewire device handy here... :roll:

Of course; as soon as check at full if it works, I'll start the libfw C++ wrapper, to add firewire support to VideotrackerRT!!! :D /

Well, I did what you did dude, I got myself an Adaptec 4300, and IRIX is happily showing a DM10 now :razz:
Mine is a 4300CS, and was only $35, but the end result is the same...
Thanks a bunch for the tip! I guess I can put my $4 SIIG into a PC to see whart happens...
unixmuseum wrote: Well, I did what you did dude, I got myself an Adaptec 4300, and IRIX is happily showing a DM10 now :razz:
Mine is a 4300CS, and was only $35, but the end result is the same...
Thanks a bunch for the tip! I guess I can put my $4 SIIG into a PC to see whart happens...

...So quickly??? :D

Hey; you're a lot speedy!!! :lol:

...Anyway, I've payded U$D70.- by the 4300 board today! :(
Diego wrote: ...So quickly??? :D

Hey; you're a lot speedy!!! :lol:

Yep... BestBuy is 10 minutes away... I knew what I wanted (thanks to you), and avoided prowling in the store (well almost, Knights of the Old Republic was $19)...

Now, you know what's even cooler: I have a Sony firewire CD burner and guess what: IRIX mounts it, IRIX likes it and xcdroast likes it too!
unixmuseum wrote: Yep... BestBuy is 10 minutes away... I know what I wanted (thanks to you), and avoided prowling in the store (well almost, Knights of the Old Republic was $19)...

Now, you know what's even cooler: I have a Sony firewire CD burner and guess what: IRIX mounts it, IRIX likes it and xcdroast likes it too!

YES, YES, YES!!! :lol:

It is SO cool, man!!!

...Now; I'm close to buy the LG 4081-B DVD-RAM (next week, I think!); and I hope this one can work along with a FireWire-To-IDE Cabinet, as an external DVD-RAM unit on IRIX!

... basically, same stuff as "Edefault", but via firewire, and avoiding the SCSI-To-IDE Yamaha bridge... :roll:

Wish me luck! ;)
Diego wrote: ...Now; I'm close to buy the LG 4081-B DVD-RAM (next week, I think!); and I hope this one can work along with a FireWire-To-IDE Cabinet, as an external DVD-RAM unit on IRIX!

... basically, same stuff as "Edefault", but via firewire, and avoiding the SCSI-To-IDE Yamaha bridge... :roll:
Wish me luck! ;)

Now here's an idea... DVD-RAM, hmmm... I guess I could take the CD burner off the Sony enclosure (I've done it before, right now the firewire enclosure holds an old HP 8100) and put on of them IDE DVD burners... Not a bad idea... Off to ebay! :lol:
unixmuseum wrote: Now here's an idea... DVD-RAM, hmmm... I guess I could take the CD burner of the Sony enclosure (I've done it before, right now the firewire enclosure holds an old HP 8100) and put on of them IDE DVD burners... Not a bad idea... Off to ebay! :lol:

...Well... I guess you can check it for me, man!; if you get one of thoses DVD-RAM before; just try it!!! :)

Just two tips:

1) Use a model easy to obtain in Argentine!

2) Report the results here! ;)

...and then I'll be running very fast to buy one on my nearest computer shop! ;)
Now that is great, Octanes users could get a external cd/dvd drive with that Adaptec AFW 4300 PCI FireConnect card, great, so maybe I could use my FireWire LaCie burner on it then I can read cds and do some back-up discs, right?

BTW the Philips double layer DVDRW885 burner is just 95 € here in Spain :shock:

Well, I also found the adpatec card here , is that one, right?
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.
unixmuseum wrote:
Diego wrote: Hello UnixMuseum! ;) ,

Well, I did what you did dude, I got myself an Adaptec 4300, and IRIX is happily showing a DM10 now :razz:

I'll bet you that by 6.5.26 it won't :-)
Rack up another 4300 showing up as:
DMediaPro DM10 FW option: unit 0, revision 1.1.0
as well as
Integral SCSI controller 2: Version IEEE1394 SBP2

I picked it up at bestbuy
It's listed as "Adaptec Fireconnect 4300" in a small plastic box...cost me $39.99

On the back it was referred to as the 4300cs kit, and on the back of the PCI card is AFW-4300b

Only firewire device I have (yet) is an iPod, so I can't say much about functionality etc...
iPod doesn't show up as a disk, but I'm not sure if that requires anything special on the driver side or what...

I haven't installed any drivers or anything special, just running 6.5.24

-- update after installing DM drivers... --

Still shows up in hinv...however fwprobe gives me the "Unable to access driver" error. My guess is that there IS no 32bit driver for this (though why would it then show up in hinv?) because after-all, the FireWire DM was never released for O2 as far as I know?
themacosxflies wrote: Well, I also found the adpatec card here , is that one, right?

Well Angelo ; you got it! ;)

Yes; that's the card; I could be interested to see if works with the Philips DVD burner! ...eMail me if it works! ;)
More poking around...

It seems that libfw looks for /hw/firewire.
That's never getting created on my O2...

The file that seems to reference /hw/firewire in the modules is /var/sysgen/boot/fire.a.

libfw looks for /hw/firewire/0/glue/glue0
again I don't have /hw/firewire, but I DO have
/hw/node/io/pci/3/ohci/0/glue/glue0 (that is the node that relates to the firewire card)

So, if I could ln -s /hw/node/io/pci/3/ohci /hw/firewire it might work...but you can't. /hw is of type hwgfs which doesn't allow you to do anything of that sort

---

more messing around...
I hex-edited libfw to look in /fw/firewire instead of /hw/firewire, created the symlink, and voila:

bash-2.05b$ fwprobe
Probing DM10 cards...
Number of cards: 1
Card Info
=========
Card #: 0
Name : DM10
ID : 0x309500A00402F9
Ports : 3
Speed : 400 / 400

1 devices attached
Device 0: 0x309500A00402F9
Vendor: Silicon Graphics, Inc.
Model: Unknown
Proto: Unknown

However it should be noted, that after plugging in my ipod (only device I have) the output of fwprobe didn't change at all...
Ok add another 4300 showing up as the dm media card as mentioned above. I plugged a firewire drive in. It sees the firmware of the bridge etc. It doesnt mount it it want to initialize. I cant do this because it is my emergency boot drive for os x but it seems to see it as any other drive. Oh got mine at compusa for 39 with tax
it also sees my sony trv-27 camcorder although in console it keeps scanning the firewire node and reporting whats up with that