SGI: Hardware

What the heck is this and how do I get it to work? - Page 1

I'm a sucker. I saved a few systems from a dumpster/scrapper.

1) A Sun E10K. I know what do with that; I used to work for Sun and my job was deploying them.

2) An Encore MultiMax. Looks interesting, and I have docs for it.

3) An SGI Onyx? Challenge? Test Rack. This is what's interesting and where I need your help.

The system is a full Onyx-like rack, but I was told its "guts" were Challenge-like. There seems to be a VME backplane that opens on both ends, a few empty disk trays, and finally a very sexy IO board which includes multiple Sirius video in/out, FDDI, "Etherplex" (never heard of that) serial, and other goodies. Attached are photos.

What kind of power does it take?

Sold:
Image R5K Indy, ZX Graphics. MANY, MANY moons ago.
you have found "the grail."

World domination! Or something...
In which direction should I pray?

It looks like you have the "third card cage" VME option (first and second card cages are front/back on the top, third is on the bottom). Onyx/CHALLENGE machines with a third card cage are 3-phase powered. I've never fought with one, but seem to recall that there's a way to convert it to single-phase 240V without much trouble (whereas the big VAXes have 3-phase blowers to contend with).

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
This is the only power input I've found. I'm not familiar with it.

Sold:
You might want to specify a location, say Country and state/region/provence. Someone might be able to help in person.
I used to be keen on VME and helping out people, going on hardware collection road trips together and such.
I don't have that much time anymore.

That looks like a 32amp plug. My Onyx2 rack has two of them.

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1. Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo:

Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Book ----> http://pymblesoftware.com/book/
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.
foetz wrote:
welcome to the forum katzmandu. seems it took you a while to finally post something but that's a worthy entry for sure :D
assuming the system powers up how about hooking up a serial cable and checking hinv?

Thanks. If it takes 3-phase I think we're out of luck. I may be able to do 240V in my garage for a short period of time. I only have a 120V feed out there, but that can be made into a 240V feed pretty easily for a short period of time.

I think I can take the monitor and keyboard off my Indigo and hook it up to the main console ports of this and get information that way, too.

Also, I'm in Indianapolis, IN.

Sold:
I'm sure your electrical service provider will be happy to run you two more phases. :mrgreen: For a price... :shock: Otherwise, a 120-240 stepup transformer should be able to do the job, yes?

vishnu wrote:
I'm sure your electrical service provider will be happy to run you two more phases. :mrgreen: For a price... :shock: Otherwise, a 120-240 stepup transformer should be able to do the job, yes?

I think I can just setup a "240V" circuit with two hot 120V legs and one neutral leg, but I'm not 100% sure. This is how most 240V appliances work in the USA (ovens, clothes driers, etc.) I did it once before for a Sun disk array 12 years ago, but my memory is fuzzy.

Sold:
You've only got single phase service to the house currently? Would you use a phase shifter then?

I think it's "normal" and NOT 3-phase, based on the connector. Let me double-check.

Sold:
katzmandu wrote:
I think it's "normal" and NOT 3-phase, based on the connector. Let me double-check.

3 phase has four pins ... one for each phase plus one for ground and there are some odd variations to that I've seen in industrial sites.
That looks like single phase 32amps max, 240v to me, might be different in your country.

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1. Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo:

Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Book ----> http://pymblesoftware.com/book/
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.
While everyone oohs over the SGI, gratz on the Encore. Those are pretty thin on the ground. The vendor was phasing out our Encore just as I got hired and we were switching to PA-RISC. I think it was one of the 88Ks, though, not a MultiMax.

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ClassicHasClass wrote:
While everyone oohs over the SGI, gratz on the Encore. Those are pretty thin on the ground. The vendor was phasing out our Encore just as I got hired and we were switching to PA-RISC. I think it was one of the 88Ks, though, not a MultiMax.

Here's the MultiMax, since I figure you're curious. It was certainly an odd lot, that's for sure.

Sold:
The definitive answer on the phaseology is to count the OLS modules. Open up the front door and look at the lowest devices on the rack. If you see two next to each other than it's single-phase. If you see 3 it's three phase (but can be converted to single-phase)

Didn't realize the Encore was a NS32032 machine -neat.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
A MultiMax with an OfficeMax! :lol:

That is a sexy beast. Do you know the specific model? I don't recognize it, but like I say, I dealt (briefly) with a later architecture.

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
PymbleSoftware wrote:
katzmandu wrote:

3 phase has four pins ... one for each phase plus one for ground and there are some odd variations to that I've seen in industrial sites.
That looks like single phase 32amps max, 240v to me, might be different in your country.

Yup, 32A single phase 220VAC. Search 'google images' for an IP44 typ223 plug. You want the blue one (2P + earth, the red ones are 4P + earth and are 3 phase).

My 4D380/VGX Predator rack has the same plug, and I just made a couple of extension leads for my APC 7953 rack PDUs, they have the same plugs. Be careful when you mess with this stuff or it will set your house on fire. I think you need to use at least 4mm neoprene cable to wire this, although 6mm may be required for 32A.

The good news it that it probably won't consume anywhere near 32A. If you remove the 3rd OLS it is possible to convert it to 110VAC. You may have to remove some boards to reduce the power load to be able to run on 2 OLS's.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
I am in indy occasionally and might be able to swing by to see it :) sometime in the next few weeks...

If you need a power cord I find this place is pretty helpful http://www.stayonline.com/