SGI: Hardware

LCDs on SGIs - Page 1

Hi all ...Long time, no post...

Is there a precompiled list of modern day LCD flatscreen monitors that can handle SGIs output ?? If one does exist, here's two more that behave OK..

- LG Mod. L1942T 4:3 format ...13w3 to HD15 VGA...on an Indy.............works perfectly

- Samsung SyncMaster Mod. 2043nw 16:9 format ....13w3 to HD15... on an Indy...also works perfectly (narrow 4:3 image)

Now I can finally retire the big power suckin' Sony :D
I think GeneratriX would add these into:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16720341 )

concerning analog-connected LCD flatscreens: the proper VFO-configuration-file ist most important for image quality. I for myself bought another 13W3-HD15 adapter in the belief, the poor image quality was due to poor cable quality, when I became aware of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16725909

the cable I had to connect to the dell was OK, SGIs predefined 1920x1200 VFO was not that good for the DELL screen

I think GeneratriX would add these into:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16720341 )

Done!, with a few more aditions too! :)
All the best!,
Diego

Octane / Dual Head

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
Diego, do you have a VFO for Dell's UltraSharp U2412M LCD? It's listed in the aggregator...

Not really. Never tried it myself. Sorry.

In fact I was thinking if could be possible to compile some 1920x1080 VFO for Octane / ESI for another flat panel, since I don't know if the range of resolutions from "IMPACTSR" on IP30 would support such thing.

Octane / Dual Head

My favorite kind of VFO's are the ones that other people make for me... :lol:

LOL! :P ...kinda like cooking meat. It always tastes better if you don't eat by yourself all that smoke around the grill! ;)

Anyway I compiled a few VFO's in the past for IP32, a platform where I happened to feel slightly more at home than with IP30 (spent a lot more of time with it) anyway... I would not try it again without further investigations. You know; there is something very evil around bad formed VFO's, it is pretty much like a Lemarchand's box! :)

Octane / Dual Head

Somebody around here must have compiled a VFO for Dell's U2412M, and one of these days I'm going to find him! ;)

And actually, my favorite kind of everything is OP's (other people's)... :lol:

And actually, my favorite kind of everything is OP's (other people's)... :lol:

I guess you already tried here? --->

Any experience with IPS SOG-capable displays ?

Octane / Dual Head

Yeah, he's using some funky custom cable that I haven't had a chance to figure out yet... :shock:

LOL! ...the hairy cable should not make any difference; I guess the 13W3 connectors are a bit scarce now, I could not find spares now over here, but looks like he used the D-Sub from some VGA cable to bridge either the original SGI cable or the 13W3 connector in it.

BTW: anyone knows if it is possible 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz for Octane / MardiGras stuff? :)

Octane / Dual Head

Yeah as I mentioned at the other thread I'm trying to run my Dell through a dual channel display, and the dual channel display outputs are DVI...

I can never remember what board the MardiGras is (probably because I never had one), is it MXI or SI or SSI? Never had any of those either...

Oh, sorry; my experiencies with workstations from SGI only ranged between 13W3 and D-Sub equipped graphic stuff! :)

vishnu wrote:
I can never remember what board the MardiGras is (probably because I never had one), is it MXI or SI or SSI? Never had any of those either...

From SGIStuff.Net wrote:
Graphics

Graphics options made by Silicon Graphics:

Impact (First Generation): SI, SSI, MXI
Impact (Second Generation): SE, SSE, MXE
VPro

(Source: http://www.sgistuff.net/hardware/systems/octane.html )

But since they are all of them reported by 'hinv' into a different fashion...

From SGI TPL wrote:
IF you see... <===> It is
-----------------------------
ESI <===> An SE graphics board
ESSI <===> An SSE graphics board
EMXI <===> An MXE graphics board

(Source: http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... G/apa.html )

So, my setup has an SE and an SE+TRAM.

Nice short and useful summary for my memory! :P

Octane / Dual Head

vishnu wrote:
My favorite kind of VFO's are the ones that other people make for me... :lol:
The offer still stands.....

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Is there an EDID extractor that works for IRIX? Me doubts it. I'll look and report back status... :shock:

You may have to get your hands wet in the Windows urinal :P

hamei wrote:
You may have to get your hands wet in the Windows urinal :P

For IRIX? Not that I know of, but as hamei so lyrically suggests, they do (freely) exist for OSX, Windows or Linux.

If you don't have something that'd run one of the EDID extractors, perhaps a friend with a suitable laptop could offer a few minutes of assistance. My experience so far has been with OSX; extracting EDID info with SwitchResX was a very short and simple process.

Or if you'd like to leave an indelible mark on the IRIX world, the source code for read-edid is available here . I'm not source-code or compiler qualified, but have seen enough mentions of other hardware oriented open-source tools get shot down in flames that I won't be surprised to hear the source isn't IRIX or SGI hardware compatible.

GeneratriX wrote:
BTW: anyone knows if it is possible 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz for Octane / MardiGras stuff? :)
Depending on your monitor it might prove to be a tight fit. You might also want to obtain EDID info for your monitor - it might prove to be helpful.

The maximum pixel clock for MGRAS graphics is 160MHz. I tried to create a 1920x1080_60 MGRAS format using the VFC block sync script with the MGRAS chip and board definition files. The default timing used by VFC at 1920x1080_60 exceeded the MGRAS 160MHz pixel clock ceiling and produced a "no format created" error:
Code:
ERROR: Pixel Clock too fast.  Maximum allowed pixel clock is 160MHz.

Not knowing anything specific about your monitor, I used CVT to generate a generic 1920x1080_60 modeline with VESA standard timing (likely very similar to what the VFC Block Sync tool produces). That resulted a too-high-for-MGRAS pixel clock of 173MHz:
Code:
cvt 1920 1080 60

# 1920x1080 @ 60.00 Hz (CVT)
#   field rate 59.96 Hz; hsync: 67.16 kHz; pclk: 173.00 MHz
Modeline "1920x1080_60.00"  173.00  1920 2048 2248 2576  1080 1083 1088 1120  -HSync +Vsync
If all else fails, and *if* your monitor will support a format with reduced blanking , you may still be able to get around the 160MHz pixel clock limitation by creating a format with reduced blanking. Here's another 1920x1080_60 CVT modeline, asking for reduced blanking lowers the pixel clock to 138.5MHz:
Code:
cvt 1920 1080 60 -r

# 1920x1080 @ 60.00 Hz Reduced Blank (CVT)
#   field rate 59.93 Hz; hsync: 66.59 kHz; pclk: 138.50 MHz
Modeline "1920x1080_60.00_rb"  138.50  1920 1968 2000 2080  1080 1083 1088 1111  +HSync -Vsync
VFOs with reduced blanking haven't always been successful, so perhaps the EDID info will show that right out of the box your monitor uses a pixel clock lower than 160MHz at 1920x1080_60.

recondas wrote:
... you'd like to leave an indelible mark on the IRIX world, [url=http://www.polypux.org/projects/read-edid/] ...

This
Code:
#include <asm/vm86.h>
#include <sys/vm86.h>

sounds like sacrificing Clytemnestra before we even leave home ... :(