Nekochan Net

Netiquette, moderation, etc. (was FS: Fuel R16 700, 2G, V6)

s0ke wrote: Im getting out of the everything scene. Basically trying to widdle everything down to just a laptop

Welcome to the desert truth of reality: switching On and Off an old SGI machine is funny for the first sixty six minutes and six seconds. Then ... when you realize there is no good software ... it becomes boring, like the electricity bill you have to pay (especially for those who own 1-Kwatt machines, Onyx2?), and space wasted by an object which is less useful than a brick to stop the door.

But collectors see it differently. They don't need to find software, their purpose is just *to own* the last winter-heater. I suppose because in winter and autumn it's so cold and rainy outside, where they live.

So we have two kind of minds: purpose-driven, and collectors(1).

Supposing you are a purpose-driven, I suppose your laptop comes with more useful software. Ain't it? It was the same for me: sold my SGI for the same reason!

(1) well, I am also a collector, in a different way. I mean I prefer collecting spores and mushrooms. Dead organic matter useful for biological purposes, instead of dead metals which are only useful to decorate the attic.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You
Y888099 wrote: Welcome to the desert truth of reality...

s0ke has decided to part with his machine, that is entirely his decision resulting from his reasoning. I guess everybody else will have some sort of opinion about this, but i have no inclination to see these kinds of discussions in a hardware for sale thread.

If you want to discuss his decision, PM him or start a thread somewhere in everything else.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:
dexter1 wrote: If you want to discuss his decision, PM him or start a thread somewhere in everything else.

So, in this forum you have to send PM to keep things private, isn't odds you have to keep discussion private?
For sure, I don't want to open a topic to discuss anything regarding a simple comment. It will be a waste of time like talking about linux. Therefore once again, it was the last occasion lost to have a good mini-discussion, born accidentally , which should have handled with a few comments.

Go on this way and you will see how fast people will leave the whole forum, which frankly, already looks like a desert.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You
@s0ke: As to the original topic, I went minimal in 2007. I run one seriously capable laptop and four OSen on it. Haven't regretted it. Yes, I miss the big ol' iron sometimes, but maybe one day we'll have Indy emulation. I hope you will be happy with your decision, you're certainly not alone with it! ;) Hope Redmenace finds a good home!

As for the rest, my sincere apologies for hijacking your thread to post the below, but I really feel it's necessary (again).

Y888099 wrote: So, in this forum you have to send PM to keep things private, isn't odds you have to keep discussion private?

Did you actually read what dexter1 wrote?

dexter1 wrote: ... i have no inclination to see these kinds of discussions in a hardware for sale thread. If you want to discuss his decision, PM him or start a thread somewhere in everything else.

I think that's quite specific advice (again) on how these forums work. It's the "Hardware For Sale/Trade" forum. Compare Raion-Fox's two times two (short) lines of comment and your ever so slightly more extensive post. Thence dexter1's advice that if you want to discuss this at such length to either PM s0ke or address his motivations in detail in a new thread in "Everything Else" where it's not as OT as it very quickly becomes here.

For the record, you're not the only person who's been discouraged from OT discussions in the (rather specific) Bazaar subforums (or elsewhere for that matter).

Y888099 wrote: For sure, I don't want to open a topic to discuss anything regarding a simple comment.

The point is that going OT in posts in this subforum is discouraged , whether you like it or not.

Y888099 wrote: It will be a waste of time like talking about linux. Therefore once again, it was the last occasion lost to have a good mini-discussion, born accidentally , which should have handled with a few comments.

OT. Not about s0ke's motivations. Not even about the same topic. Just another exposition of how you are dissatisfied with these forums and how they are moderated. That is why dexter1 offered you the advice.

Y888099 wrote: Go on this way and you will see how fast people will leave the whole forum, which frankly, already looks like a desert.

Actually, in (my) fourteen years of moderating here, we've had very few people who have found our way of doing things around here as unreasonable as you seem to find it. Which means that (nearly) everyone else is still here.

I strongly suggest you start here: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855 (Yeah, that's netiquette , from 1995!)
The Bandito wrote: In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...
Hakimoto wrote: ... we've had very few people who have found our way of doing things around here as unreasonable as you seem to find it. Which means that (nearly) everyone else is still here.

Mods, you must be doing something right. Even some who got banned, and demanded deletion of all their postings, thus wrecking many, many threads, eventually came back under a different name. I'd say it was quite gracious of everybody to just say "Ciao" once again, and not make too much of a fuss about the past.

[With apologies to s0ke for further distracting from the thread - someone please buy his Fuel so the thread can be locked :-) ]
kramlq wrote: [With apologies to s0ke for further distracting from the thread - someone please buy his Fuel so the thread can be locked :-) ]

Yes please.
Wall heck, y'all … ah was jes passin through an mah nose startin' itchin, figgerred some buddy was walkin on mah grave. So ah giss ah best step on off this here'n train, straighten some stuff out.

howdy_yall.jpg
howdy_yall.jpg (36.36 KiB) Viewed 492 times

Ah gots ta say, ah disagree with ma esteemed colleeg mister hakmoto heah, on some a them finer points.

First off, is what is the definishun of a 'commyoonity'. Down heah wheah us deplorables live, ya gotta take the good with the bad. Yup, cousin Eunice's daughter she won the state prize foah cheerleadin' an she's headed off ta Memphis, shook her tits an got her a good job as a seckatary. But the same time, cousin Moreen, well ah assidentally walked inta the bathroom at her double-wide last month and she sure do got a big dick for a little woman. And Cousin Bo, he ain't got much upstairs but he can cook up a mean possum stew and if y'all ever needs a nickel, he be right there. Best not to need more'n thet tho, cuz he ain't got much. Then Uncle Stepan, damn me but he got a purty house up on tha hill with a lawn nigger an everthin, ah guess he purty famous from writin' them books but ah cain't hep but wondah what he do with all them cute colored gals when da nighttime come, him bein' tha only male in the place and all.

Back to tha point, down heah in One Below, ah figger we got us a commyoonity, and everbody kin speak theah mind. Somebody git way outta line, somebody else gonna tell em what foah. Otherwahs, we jes put up with tha bad and take the good and leave each othah alone. Ain't nobody with a little mustache marchin' the street pointin' fingers and tellin people what ta say, what ta do.

So mah colleeg heah mistah hakimoto done told us everthin is fahn, we's got the best of all possible worlds, moderatin' heah is bettah than anyplace else and all thet. To an extent ah gotta agree, then to anothah extent ah think y'all are missin somethin' …

An thet sumthin he go bah the name Poindexter. Now lahk ah said, we all don' care much 'bout dumb-ass Bo, and Moreen, well, if she wanta have a dick and wear a dress both, thet's her own affaih. But none o them people is struttin around givin orders. Seems like a tin badge shore do go to some people haids. This heah feller he done gone off to play with a bunch a childern fo five long yeahs without even poke his haid in heah, but when he get tahrd a playin cartoon games, he figgerred he'd come back heah so's he could give people what fo. Him bein one a them eddacated a-leet and all, ya understand.

Y'all can tell them a-leets cuz they figger they gon' save tha world from us uneddicated deplorables. Y'all kin tell 'em by the superhero uniforms they weah so's we's all know they is speshul

Got one a thet poindexter, too, took when he first got back, showin' his badges and tellin me ta shut up …

badges.jpg
badges.jpg (61.49 KiB) Viewed 492 times

Ah giss the long aend the short uvvit is, whun this hear'n poindexter showed up n started throwin his weight around, ah figgerred what the hill. Ah ain't God nor don even talk to him, ever since thet tahm ah was lightin farts in the bath tub and one a them went off big and burnt all the hairs off ma balls. Thet tahm a deep voice come outta the sky and sed "Don't Do Thet !!" An ah ain't never done it since … 'ceptin for mebbe last Thursday, if you wuz watchin', God. 'N ah wasn't ekchully lightin farts then, but Cousin Bernice she sed she done smelt sumpthin real bad and thought mebbe it was gas so ah had to check. Din't come outta mah ass so's ah think probly it was thet lasagna she et fer dinner. Ah told her ain't no good leavin thet stuff in tha icebox fer more'n a week but she don' never listen to me. Ah'm deplorable, ya see, n she's purty a-leet herself.

Ennyhoo, whun thet poindexter showed up n started givin orders, wull, normal like ah take it personal whun some pissant tells me whut ta do but in this case ah figgerred shoot, he kin wraht thet C code shit n ah'm only good fer discussin old banjo tunes. So fer the good a tha commyoonity ah done figgerred ah'd keep quaht.

But since then he ain't done shit pardon mah french, 'ceptin hassle other peeple and make the place kahnda miserble. Miserble fer us what ain't the Approved Modurn Computing A-leet Types, ah mean

If ya'all don't go along with tha rest a tha crowd then by gol, he gon show you them badges und make yer life purty miserable. Cuz thet's what he's good at, making people miserable. He don do shit for tha computin stuff and he don' do shit fer the soshul stuff, he mostly jes acts like a junyer high school ass what just got his first boy scout badge and gots to tell everbody how impotent he be.

See, this here'n "no politics" rule is fuckin pardon mah french agin shit. The days of Irix bein King of the Hill is long gone. If'n ya hang onta that then all ya gon have is the audience like I posted a photo of above. In a commyoonity people gotta talk and people gotta talk about what's important to em. It ain't no good when peeple's afraid to say sumpthin important to em because sum pretender

he's agonna deecide what is okay to say and what ain't. Fer example, what pee yoed me off in the first place was a topic that had about six er ten posts already, "Oh them pore people ! oh ain't this terrible !" which was fine with the poindexter but whun ah said, "Hey y'all ever think about WHY this happens ?" then suddenly it wor po-litickal and we cain't say nuthin but yes suh ! no suh ! three bags full suh !

sheeple.jpg
sheeple.jpg (30.78 KiB) Viewed 492 times

And thin agin this here'n topic raht above - ah gotta be honest with ya, ah'm not a big fan o this here'n i v legacy feller, all he talks about is thet loonix crap pardon mah french the third time but shee-it. His comment was on topic . There's a reason nobody buys this stuff no more. Without software it ain't worth donkey pee. And he done told tha truth, only to be junped on by thet dang poindexter assbreath agin. There's dozens of off-topic comments in forsale threads. Dozens. But poindexter, he jes gotta throw his weight around. He's a Big Man, ya see. With them badges, too.

And ah'm kinda sooprized at you too, Esteemed Hakimoto, cuz it ain't like you to be a Ass. Cuz thet legacy guy, this tahm he's tellin the truth. Ain't shit happened here for months, maybe years. Nekochan ain't good for software, it ain't good no more for discussion, ah don't hold no grudge against twelve year olds, we done had several through here over the years and they do bring sumpthin but when ya restrict all discussion to the level of twelve year olds, the place ain't worth comin to.

Which may be partly why very few of the people what used to come here does, no more. It's boring. There's nuthin happenin on the computin front and nothin on the personal discussion front. Ain't nuthin here, and that's partly because a thet officious little hall monitor with his honorary nazi merit badge.

Seems to me a shame to see thet talent wasted on pushin' people around when he cud be doin sumpthin worthwhile but lahk ah sed, ah ain't god. Y'all kin do what ya want, watch the place git more and more boring and po-litickally cerrect, where y'all kin stand in rows and chant the a-leet anthem, or chenge yer ways. Git sum software runnin, let people talk about what ails em and what makes em happy. Do sumpthin positive insted a shuvin peeple around, let peeple take care a theyself.

Up to y'all, ah gotta git back on thet train afore it leaves the station, ah got me sum Irix programs to use cuz unlike sum people heah, ah use mah Sillycone Grafx kompewter ever single day. Pretty busy, ah got ten er twenty Irix projects what ah gotta do mahself cuz askin here ain't no good no moah cuz ain't nobody what knows nuthin comin heah no moah (but ah wish ta thank all the peepel in the passed what used ta halp doin thet, ah do preciate it. A lot. Thanky kindly.)

And hair poindexter ?

Sig haille ! and don't fergit the dreads !

(can ya put them badges away tho ? Please ?)

Gotta ketch thet train, see y'all in hail :D
Will you let me go to Hell the way I want to ?
hamei, howdy!

Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your going out of your way to jump off that train and hit town for long enough to write us all a Southern love letter. ;)

(I am still debating though whether showing badges explicitly adds value to your already vivid description! :? )

hamei wrote: Ennyhoo, whun thet poindexter showed up n started givin orders, wull, normal like ah take it personal whun some pissant tells me whut ta do but in this case ah figgerred shoot, he kin wraht thet C code shit n ah'm only good fer discussin old banjo tunes. So fer the good a tha commyoonity ah done figgerred ah'd keep quaht.

Whence my statement that you chose to board that train.

hamei wrote: he's agonna deecide what is okay to say and what ain't. Fer example, what pee yoed me off in the first place was a topic that had about six er ten posts already, "Oh them pore people ! oh ain't this terrible !" which was fine with the poindexter but whun ah said, "Hey y'all ever think about WHY this happens ?" then suddenly it wor po-litickal and we cain't say nuthin but yes suh ! no suh ! three bags full suh !

I remember that, and you make a valid point, hamei, insofar as one of the weaker points in our collective moderatorship here has been as to where to draw the line. Sometimes that line came down hard and early and sometimes (way) too late and lightly (or, precisely, not). Not long after we mods started discussing our approach so as to be more consistent in the future. (The past having already been burned at the stake.)

I, of all people you'll surely agree, know why you feel the "why" of certain things needs to be discussed. A gander at the this week's world news is all it takes, especially if you're Afghan. And we've had plenty of the why discussions in the past, none of the old crew here needs reminding of that. There were camps, there were strong feelings (probably still are) and we, mods, often let it slide.

So let it be known that I feel your pain, mate. Still, the "no politics" rule has turned strict.

hamei wrote: And ah'm kinda sooprized at you too, Esteemed Hakimoto, cuz it ain't like you to be a Ass. Cuz thet legacy guy, this tahm he's tellin the truth.

I appreciate your candour, hamei. And thet legacy guy may well be making valid points. What has changed, however, and this may contribute to your feeling I am being an Ass (, too) in this case is the way things are being moderated.

Going OT, devaluation of someone's FS post, posting in the "wrong" subforum etc., I've been walking behind young Mr. Italy for a while now sweeping up, pointing over to the other side of the street and tapping friendly but firmly on his shoulder to say, "hey, if you go about this slightly differently you might actually get the help you seem to be looking for". Alas, and I invite you to look this up yourself next time you hit this station (if you can be asked), our friend don't take kindly to any sort of advice it seems.

And, with moderating policy tightened and him not playing friendly with the others, well, he got full brunt.

So, yes, he may be telling a truth, but, sirree, he was asked to not do so in someone else's FS thread and to just take his feelings to the appropriate subforum and voice them there. It's not like he was silenced . But even that suggestion, to just take it to the other side of the forum, was, quite seemingly, too much to ask of ive/889/legacyTalia.

(Just as an aside: do you know what he pulled off before in his first "incarnation" here on the forums? :roll: Maaan, that was quite something. And when he came back to the commyoonity everyone just acted like no hard feelings.)

What hasn't changed since and likely won't ever again (well, at least till we, the current set of mods, retire) is how things are handled now. Quite a bit tighter than before. If that takes the fun out of it for some, shame, but, really, things were really taking unfriendly turns here and there on the forums. The world (and the internet) may have become a reactionary place. Stuff blows up and out of proportion quickly. No doubt.

I'd like to avoid that here if possible. Just like you chose to board that train, I have to choose to be an Ass in this case, good sir. Thought long and hard about it. Cos it's not my time to leave town just yet. Can't make all happy, sad but true.

hamei wrote: (but ah wish ta thank all the peepel in the passed what used ta halp doin thet, ah do preciate it. A lot. Thanky kindly.)

You're most welcome and thanks for stopping by!

Safe travels!
The Bandito wrote: In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...
Pokes head out from under comfy rock to see what all the fuss is about.

Blinks. Looks around. Nods to Hamei in appreciation of a fabulous post. Blinks again.

Slithers back under comfy rock.
There's a reason nobody buys this stuff no more. Without software it ain't worth donkey pee.

The only gadget I've ever regretted selling was my ipad pro, thinking I could get away with only an iphone @ home. So I bought another one. I like my finger-painting. All the irix boxes I ever had I was glad to see go. PCs are a dime a dozen. Got a macbook at work which is nice but boring, it just does what it's supposed to do and stays out of the way. Nothing to talk about, there.

Which may be partly why very few of the people what used to come here does, no more. It's boring. There's nuthin happenin on the computin front and nothin on the personal discussion front.
Because you're the only one left that still uses the dumb things. Almost everybody else just beats their meat to them. I don't have them anymore. I liked buying the big ones in a broken state and then fixing them up but once I became an adult that became much less exciting.

The days of Irix bein King of the Hill is long gone. If'n ya hang onta that then all ya gon have is the audience like I posted a photo of above. In a commyoonity people gotta talk and people gotta talk about what's important to em. Ain't shit happened here for months, maybe years. Nekochan ain't good for software, it ain't good no more for discussion, ah don't hold no grudge against twelve year olds, we done had several through here over the years and they do bring sumpthin but when ya restrict all discussion to the level of twelve year olds, the place ain't worth comin to.

Seems like it may be time to consolidate the seventy-three SGI sub-forums which I haven't gone into in years except by accident, and make some new ones. Misc. OS and the OT pages are swollen because we all have the stuff that we like and very little of it has anything to do with Irix! Hell: power electronics (where anything under 10kw is banned from discussion :mrgreen: ), synths and music, RF and microwave, embedded systems, whatever software fox and dodoid are cooking up, for a start. Because we do have a fairly unique crowd here:
ibmfiles wrote: like taking all of the niche forums and topics (vogons, VCF, EEVBlog Forum, VSF, gearslutz, geekhack etc etc etc) and rolling it all into one with each member on here knowing all of these topics and switching between them nonchalantly on the fly. I've never in my life switched from discussing OS/400 to DX7s and JV-1080s, nor did I think it was possible.

[meanwhile at nekochan] "No big deal , we'll just talk about System i, Irix, OS/2, FreeBSD, obscure PowerPC PReP machines, SGI Granite ALPS keyboards, Oberheims, Yamaha FM synths"...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16730589&p=7399648#p7399632
Edit: Never mind. Forgot. We're not living in sane, or normal times anymore... My bad.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:
I came here, read a hamei post, then went and watched the newest Twin Peaks episode and got pretty much the same thing courtesy of Russ Tamblyn. Serendipity!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600
guardian452 wrote: Seems like it may be time to consolidate the seventy-three SGI sub-forums which I haven't gone into in years except by accident, and make some new ones. Misc. OS and the OT pages are swollen because we all have the stuff that we like and very little of it has anything to do with Irix! Hell: power electronics (where anything under 10kw is banned from discussion :mrgreen: ), synths and music, RF and microwave, embedded systems, whatever software fox and dodoid are cooking up, for a start. Because we do have a fairly unique crowd here:
ibmfiles wrote: like taking all of the niche forums and topics (vogons, VCF, EEVBlog Forum, VSF, gearslutz, geekhack etc etc etc) and rolling it all into one with each member on here knowing all of these topics and switching between them nonchalantly on the fly. I've never in my life switched from discussing OS/400 to DX7s and JV-1080s, nor did I think it was possible.

[meanwhile at nekochan] "No big deal , we'll just talk about System i, Irix, OS/2, FreeBSD, obscure PowerPC PReP machines, SGI Granite ALPS keyboards, Oberheims, Yamaha FM synths"...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16730589&p=7399648#p7399632

So much this. +++++
I don't know much compared to the others here (although happy I can help a bit with the PowerPC Linux side of things), but the amount I've learned just by fooling around is incredible.

The best way to express my appreciation is to state that I basically keep no online presence, besides the few very niche YouTube videos. I don't use Facebook, Instagram, Tweeter. I have accounts, but just to lock my nickname. But I check nekochan daily.

Most of the things that offend people in general on Internet don't affect me much. The written language does a poor job in conveying emotions (unless you put a lot of care into it), so most of the times a paragraph comes across I try to re-read it and try to imagine how the person sounds speaking it.

I thank my ex-wife for that. We would go into arguments about how rude her messages were. Then she would read them for me out loud and make me feel like an idiot... I had misunderstood her.
I wish this was reddit because I'd upvote hamei's post a hundred times if I could. Grade A pal, grade A.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
:O2: R10000 225MHz 256MB RAM 15k 147GB HDD suzuha
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha
Great post hamei! I wish I could make an equally revelatory comment but sadly I'm finding that
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
What we are facing here in this community is the death of a subculture. It appears that all of us are dealing with it in our own unique ways. I turned in my badge when the crazies stopped taking their meds, next step is to get on that train and never look back. :lol: