Nekochan Net

"View Active topics" link has disappeared ? - Page 1

Can we have it back please ?
:Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :O2:
Jack Luminous wrote: Can we have it back please ?

If you change the theme it will come back.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:
Wow thanks ! I'm a total noob concerning phpbb etc. I was really annoyed that something I clicked thousands of times had suddenly disappeared from my life LOL
I think it would be a good idea to make the subsilver2 theme the default.
:Tezro: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Onyx2: :O2+: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo: :Cube:
Incidentally, the "Active Topics" link is still there in the ProSilver theme, it's just that the plonkers at phpBB thought it'd be great to hide it behind the "Quick Links" menu, so now you've got twice as much clicking to do in order to use one of the most commonly used links on the site.

....Which is why I also switched back to Subsilver. That and the annoying fixed-width thing that phpBB also implemented.

Note: Not a dig at you nekonoko, please don't read it as such. I have the utmost respect for the work you do with hosting nekochan. It's aimed squarely at the phpBB devs who like to cock things up which worked fine before.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30
Aaah, back to subsilver2 theme and now it feels like home again. :-)
:O3200: :Fuel: :Indy: :O3x02L:
Personally, I always start with "New posts" so I've simply added search.php?search_id=newposts - to my bookmarks and Firefox start page, this way FF always suggest the correct link whenever I start typing "neko".

Same can be done for "Active topics": search.php?search_id=active_topics
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:
diegel wrote: I think it would be a good idea to make the subsilver2 theme the default.

indeed. at least for existing members and after signing up
r-a-c.de
I hate to be caught sticking up for the Open Sores children, but if you get a jones for some topic at 3:00 a.m. and check nekochan on your phone, this layout renders much better on a small screen. So there's some improvements as well ... It's easy to change the theme so what the heck, if it makes maintenance easier ees okay by me.

What I'd like to know, and I'm pretty sure it's not on the neko end, is why the connection is so weird ? It's faster than a scared bunny for a while, then sits there and sits there. Then it's fast again. Mr Neko, did you hurt the feelings of the Chinese People ?
That's exactly how I operate. My main Neko bookmark is the new posts one.

GL1zdA wrote: Personally, I always start with "New posts" so I've simply added search.php?search_id=newposts - to my bookmarks and Firefox start page, this way FF always suggest the correct link whenever I start typing "neko".

Without picking out anyone in particular (I've had my share of WTF moments too), the idea that simple forum interface overwhelmed guys who routinely master obscure operating systems and hardware (in a number of flavors) brought a smile to my face.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote: Without picking out anyone in particular (I've had my share of WTF moments too), the idea that simple forum interface overwhelmed guys who routinely master obscure operating systems and hardware (in a number of flavors) brought a smile to my face.

LOL I must say I realized I really was a simpleton when I read the first reply to my topic LOL

Doesn't matter. Maybe 25 years of computer coding must have taken its toll on my braincells. Or maybe alzheimer first signs LOL
I'm glad you asked Jack.. I just kept quite and pretended I'd imagined Active Posts ever existed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
josehill wrote: That's exactly how I operate. My main Neko bookmark is the new posts one.

GL1zdA wrote: Personally, I always start with "New posts" so I've simply added search.php?search_id=newposts - to my bookmarks and Firefox start page, this way FF always suggest the correct link whenever I start typing "neko".

and the same goes for me but the point is what Trippynet said
r-a-c.de
I should add that the way I read Nekochan posts most often is via an RSS feed reader . I find the RSS feed to be the fastest way, by far, to keep up with what is being posted in the forums.
I never use any of that fancy stuff but nekochan sure looks great especially on mobiles now :)

Jose: I've only recently started using rss, now that it is dead to the rest of the world. I should add nekochan to my feeds...
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
josehill wrote: I should add that the way I read Nekochan posts most often is via an RSS feed reader . I find the RSS feed to be the fastest way, by far, to keep up with what is being posted in the forums.

rss is nice but only when using it through a local program. otherwise in case of web based services you give them all your feeds, they see what you read when and for how long and from where and so on ...
r-a-c.de
guardian452 wrote: Jose: I've only recently started using rss, now that it is dead to the rest of the world. I should add nekochan to my feeds...

I've been hearing that RSS is dead for more than a decade, but it keeps on going! :D
foetz wrote: rss is nice but only when using it through a local program. otherwise in case of web based services you give them all your feeds, they see what you read when and for how long and from where and so on ...

Fair enough, but the folks at The Old Reader seem to be in it for the right reasons. They built an RSS reader for their own use, and then they made the mistake of making it available to other people. Word spread, it took off, and their hobby started bankrupting them (more or less). To cover their costs, they started charging for people who follow more than a handful of feeds. I gladly pay them $20/year for their service.

Obviously, there are other models involving ads and data sharing that other companies use for keeping the lights on, but so far, this bunch hasn't gone down the road of "monetizing" user data. We all need to decide how much information (if any) we're willing to share with third parties in exchange for various services.
mozilla used to have an rss reader included. it could be compiled with the main program as an option. i remember including it with some of my builds back then. it looked quite similar to the email client. not sure if it's still around tho
r-a-c.de