Nekochan Net

We have an IRC Channel! - Page 2

Never had the stomach to try snails, but I'm gonna try some day. Fried frogs are a very good dish, the problem is, I need about two dozens of them to fill my appetite... I'm sure at some point some crazy scientist will come with 2 Kilograms frogs including an altered DNA! But if it works like with the chickens, the hyper-frogs will not be tasty anymore! :P

Octane / Dual Head

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
GeneratriX wrote:
I'm sure at some point some crazy scientist will come with 2 Kilograms frogs including an altered DNA!

bon appetit... :)

Heheh!, good point! The thing is bigger than him!
...now that you posted the picture, I recall there are some 4 Kilogram hyper-toads at some place, but I was not sure if hyper-frogs would exist too! :)

So, is it a frog or a toad?

If it is a frog, I'm sure the guy at the pict will be full with that one! :)

EDIT: Use some translator, but it seems the giant frogs are not a joke at all, let's see:

http://froggerenelmundo.blogspot.com.ar/2010/04/los-alimentos-mas-peligrosos-del-mundo.html wrote:
El plato de rana gigante puede provocar que tus riñones fallen o peor, te puede matar. Hay una razón, mientras que las culturas de todo el mundo aman las rana cocinadas,pero solo se comen las ancas. El cuerpo de la rana es un campo minado de toxinas peligrosas. En Namibia, sin embargo, la rana entera es considerado un manjar . Las ranas toro son bastante grandes miden unos 20 centímetros de diámetro. Según los lugareños, las ranas gigantes son más seguras para comer después de la lluvia o justo después de la época de celo cuando los niveles de toxinas en sus cuerpos son mucho más bajos.

Octane / Dual Head

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
hamei wrote: I don't think it's true but the story is, they put the shrimp in a pan without water for some time ... half hour ? an hour ? and the shrimp get really thirsty. Then they pour the shrimp into a low pan of what we call white wine (basically turpentine with an alcohol content around 80 to 90 proof). The thirsty shirmps shlurp shlurp shlurp up all the alcohol, then they pour them into a bowl with some sauce. Viola, here's your dish, 150 little shrimps staggering around.

If the sauce is good they are pretty tasty. With a little practice you cna shell them in your mouth in one swift schlurp, then spit out the shell onto the table. Next !

For those with aquariums, you know the cherry red shrimp ? The ones that the fish sellers describe as "bred in Taiwan" ? The ones you thought were designed to be cute little aquarium pets ? There's a Taiwan dish, "cherry red shrimp" which is one of those rice-in-a-hot-iron-pot things. Yup. Comes with a raw egg, some veggies, and a bowl of cherry red shrimp. Pour into the rice and stir like heck. They were bred in Taiwan, yes, but I don't think for the aquarium trade.

Fried little tiny frogs are pretty good, too. Crunchy. Subtle flavoring, reminiscent of a pond, nice grass, and an evening ribbetting the ladies. It helps to be kind of drunk when you eat them.

But there's a restaraunt down the street I'm saving for when smj comes over. They have the best spicy bee larvae in this part of zhejiang. Kind of expensive but really good. SMJ deserves the best :D

Okay, here's a dish you cowards can actually try at home. Next time you barbecue, get some tiger shrimp. Leave the shells on. Best to get them live so you can make them go without food for a day to clean out their pooper but I'm not sure you can get that back there in the free world ? Anyway, take the shrimps in their shells and find a tinfoil pan a couple inches deep. Put the shrimps in the pan and bury them in salt. Yes, bury. Fill the pan up to cover the tops of the pile of shrimp. I bet some added seasonings would make it even better. Put the pan on the barby like you were carburizing some 8620 in a cyanide bath. Don't get it as hot though. You're on your own for figuring out how long it takes to cook - we're always kind of disabled by this step of the process, but you should be able to trial and error it out. Maybe five minutes ? Pull them hummers off the fire, dig around in the salt to find them, shell and eat. So easy even I can do it. And yummy. Almost as good as the drunk ones :P

Thanks for officially grossing me out hamei. Again. :lol:

Is anybody on the irc channel these days? I've meant to check it out a million times but then I remember I can no longer compile my fave irc client. smirc, in case you had to know... :?
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: Is anybody on the irc channel these days? I've meant to check it out a million times but then I remember I can no longer compile my fave irc client. smirc, in case you had to know... :?

I jump in on occasion. I use irssi. Not BSD-licensed, so not the most ideal for me, but it works better than most I've tried.

Also, for the record, what hamei's talking about regarding drunken shrimp, its neither white wine or turpentine. Its 50% ABV sorghum-based vodka. Its good with Sichuan or Hunan food, but its got a funky taste and odor by itself. The confusion stems from the characters, it literally means "white alcohol" and a mistranslation into "white wine" is very common. Also, I can attest to drunken shrimp being tasty. Had them in Beijing, but I did pussy out and behead and shell them before eating. I tried asking the waitress in broken Mandarin for a knife, but apparently I asked for a dagger, per my tour guide. He kindly cleared the confusion, and I was promptly brought a knife.
:fuel: 900MHz 4GB
vishnu wrote: I can no longer compile my fave irc client. smirc, in case you had to know... :?

why not?
r-a-c.de
vishnu wrote: Is anybody on the irc channel these days? I've meant to check it out a million times but then I remember I can no longer compile my fave irc client. smirc, in case you had to know... :?

I used to be [mjw]; suppose I could log in and go back to lurking... yup, looks like the same people in there as always :roll:
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
foetz wrote: why not?

Because of the compiler didacticism that has set in since the last official release of the smirc source code about 16 years ago... :cry:

guardian452 wrote: yup, looks like the same people in there as always :roll:

Somehow you seem a bit less than thrilled about that! :lol:
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote:
foetz wrote: why not?

Because of the compiler didacticism that has set in since the last official release of the smirc source code about 16 years ago... :cry:

you really found no compiler that did it nor could change a few bits here and there to make it work? :shock:
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: you really found no compiler that did it nor could change a few bits here and there to make it work? :shock:

It compiled nicely with egcs circa 1999, it totally pukes with g++ current. If you look at the code (that's not a dowload link it's the fossies source code browser) he went a bit nuts with all the classes he designed for what was otherwise a pretty straighforward Motif-based IRC client... :shock:

He's a great programmer though, it's the same guy that wrote and maintains the courier MTA.
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: it totally pukes with g++ current

you realize that there're also other compilers? :P
anyway made me curious now, gonna check it out :D

btw how about xchat? the gtk1 version is nice
r-a-c.de
Oh sure, there are tons of perfectly worthy IRC clients, it's just that as a decades long Motif hacker I greatly prefer Motif applications. So really the problem is me not the clients that are available, which are legion...

For the smirc source code, I can get 10 of the 27 c plus plus files in the widget subdirectory to compile. He's got all the widget code wrapped into a plethora of classes that he apparently wrote all by himself, or, probably more likely wrote for a paying client and then he used the classes to create smirc. Either way truly a monumental task. And of course now the language standard has evolved to the point where the compilers won't compile it, vis:

Code: Select all

make widgetfr.o
c++ -DPACKAGE=\"widget\" -DVERSION=\"0.10\" -DHAVE_DIRENT_H=1 -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1  -I. -I.      -I./.. -I./../afx -g -O2 -Wall -c widgetfr.C
widgetfr.C: In member function 'void COptionMenuWidgetExtended::Create(CWidget*)':
widgetfr.C:61:63: error: conversion from 'int' to 'CWidgetAttach' is ambiguous
widget.h:220:2: note: candidates are: CWidgetAttach::CWidgetAttach(void*)
widget.h:218:2: note:                 CWidgetAttach::CWidgetAttach(long int)
widgetfr.C:64:69: error: conversion from 'int' to 'CWidgetAttach' is ambiguous
widgetfr.C: In constructor 'CFileRequesterWidget::CFileRequesterWidget(const char*)':
widgetfr.C:88:6: error: 'void COptionMenuWidgetExtended::OnOptionActivate()' is private
widgetfr.C:131:35: error: within this context
widgetfr.C:131:35: error: no match for 'operator=' in '((CFileRequesterWidget*)this)->CFileRequesterWidget::m_ok = &COptionMenuWidgetExtended::OnOptionActivate'
widgetredirect.h:40:7: note: candidates are: void CActivateRedirect<Base, T>::operator=(T*) [with Base = CPushButtonWidget, T = CFileRequesterWidget]
widgetredirect.h:41:7: note:                 void CActivateRedirect<Base, T>::operator=(void (T::*)()) [with Base = CPushButtonWidget, T = CFileRequesterWidget]
widgetredirect.h:29:69: note:                 CActivateRedirect<CPushButtonWidget, CFileRequesterWidget>& CActivateRedirect<CPushButtonWidget, CFileRequesterWidget>::operator=(const CActivateRedirect<CPushButtonWidget, CFileRequesterWidget>&)
widgetfr.C:95:6: error: 'virtual void COptionMenuWidgetExtended::OnActivate()' is private
widgetfr.C:132:39: error: within this context
widgetfr.C:132:39: error: no match for 'operator=' in '((CFileRequesterWidget*)this)->CFileRequesterWidget::m_cancel = &COptionMenuWidgetExtended::OnActivate'
widgetredirect.h:40:7: note: candidates are: void CActivateRedirect<Base, T>::operator=(T*) [with Base = CPushButtonWidget, T = CFileRequesterWidget]
widgetredirect.h:41:7: note:                 void CActivateRedirect<Base, T>::operator=(void (T::*)()) [with Base = CPushButtonWidget, T = CFileRequesterWidget]
widgetredirect.h:29:69: note:                 CActivateRedirect<CPushButtonWidget, CFileRequesterWidget>& CActivateRedirect<CPushButtonWidget, CFileRequesterWidget>::operator=(const CActivateRedirect<CPushButtonWidget, CFileRequesterWidget>&)
widgetfr.C: In member function 'void CFileRequesterWidget::Create(CWidget*)':
widgetfr.C:157:21: error: conversion from 'int' to 'CWidgetAttach' is ambiguous
widgetfr.C:158:66: error: conversion from 'int' to 'CWidgetAttach' is ambiguous
widgetfr.C:160:65: error: conversion from 'int' to 'CWidgetAttach' is ambiguous
widgetfr.C:164:10: error: conversion from 'int' to 'CWidgetAttach' is ambiguous
widgetfr.C:167:67: error: conversion from 'int' to 'CWidgetAttach' is ambiguous
widgetfr.C:179:68: error: conversion from 'int' to 'CWidgetAttach' is ambiguous
widgetfr.C:184:66: error: conversion from 'int' to 'CWidgetAttach' is ambiguous
widgetfr.C:190:71: error: conversion from 'int' to 'CWidgetAttach' is ambiguous
widgetfr.C:192:68: error: conversion from 'int' to 'CWidgetAttach' is ambiguous
widgetfr.C:197:63: error: conversion from 'int' to 'CWidgetAttach' is ambiguous
widgetfr.C:198:67: error: conversion from 'int' to 'CWidgetAttach' is ambiguous
make: *** [widgetfr.o] Error 1

At which point I gave up... :oops:
Project:
Plan:

alrighty, gave it a try ...
first stop: messed up configure script that thinks it needs to add a -L/usr/lib to the LDFLAGS which then of course makes ld32 fail.
next stop: exceptions. disabled them by default of course but the nice little proggy is using them everywhere.
third: the always illusive redefinition of a default argument
4th: TraitP.h missing.

and there it ended for me already. guess my motif is too old :-|
r-a-c.de
Vishnu, seriously, try irssi out. Its a good terminal-based client and it works well.
:fuel: 900MHz 4GB
vishnu wrote: Oh sure, there are tons of perfectly worthy IRC clients, it's just that as a decades long Motif hacker I greatly prefer Motif applications.

Someone here at the 'chan started on a Motif instant-chat / irc client. He got through two or three versions. It works, I used it a little. As a Motif programmer, vish ... :D
So much code to compile, so little time... :shock:
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: Is anybody on the irc channel these days?

i am right now :D
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: next stop: exceptions. disabled them by default of course but the nice little proggy is using them everywhere.

foetz, how do you disable exceptions? If I may be so bold as to enquire... :P
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: foetz, how do you disable exceptions? If I may be so bold as to enquire... :P

ha, be my guest :P
it's just a compiler flag which, surprise, depends on each compiler. for example:

Code: Select all

MIPSpro >= 7: -LANG:exceptions=OFF
Sun: -noex

always part of my default CXXFLAGS on all systems since as you know exceptions cause a significant performance loss
r-a-c.de
And yet Bjarne considers exception handling to be one of the crowning achievements of c plus pus ... :lol:
Project:
Plan: