Nekochan Net

We have an IRC Channel! - Page 3

Hmm, irssi builds just fine on IRIX. If irc.nekochan.net would suddenly get an ipv6 address, I'd love to join ;-)
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
Are you ipv6 only now duck? I'm still stuck on ipv4 here in Virginia with Verizon FiOS.
:fuel: 900MHz 4GB
vishnu wrote: And yet Bjarne considers exception handling to be one of the crowning achievements of c plus pus ... :lol:

given that most of c++ is redundant bloat it fits in just fine from the c++ point of view :P
r-a-c.de
The exception support in C++ is half-baked, it doesn't allow for exceptions that are continuable.
Specifically, there are two ways to implement an exception system: either the stack is unwound to the point of the exception handler first, losing all inferior context; or the stack is searched for a handler but not unwound. in the latter case, the handler can adjust the signaling context and then tell it to continue. This is how Xerox's Cedar Mesa exceptions worked.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
robespierre wrote: The exception support in C++ is half-baked, it doesn't allow for exceptions that are continuable.
Specifically, there are two ways to implement an exception system: either the stack is unwound to the point of the exception handler first, losing all inferior context; or the stack is searched for a handler but not unwound. in the latter case, the handler can adjust the signaling context and then tell it to continue. This is how Xerox's Cedar Mesa exceptions worked.

Yes but the guy who created Cedar Mesa exceptions said, at the C++ standardization meeting in 1991, “termination is preferred over resumption; this is not a matter of opinion but a matter of years of experience. Resumption is seductive, but not valid.”

Wiki article: in the "Termination semantics" section.
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
TeamBlackFox wrote: Are you ipv6 only now duck? I'm still stuck on ipv4 here in Virginia with Verizon FiOS.

Nah, I just can't get my vanity domain on v4 :-P
:Octane: halo , oct ane
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
duck wrote:
TeamBlackFox wrote: Are you ipv6 only now duck? I'm still stuck on ipv4 here in Virginia with Verizon FiOS.

Nah, I just can't get my vanity domain on v4 :-P

Sounds like a dictatorial ISP problem to me! :|

In other news worthy of announcement, after considerable code refactoring I have finally gotten the smirc IRC client to compile! Well, on my Slackware 13.37 box using a fairly old version of g++. Will try it on my Octane tonight and if it works will build a tardist. It's a pretty advanced IRC client despite that it's been in suspended animation since 1999... :lol:
Project:
Plan:
vishnu wrote: Will try it on my Octane tonight and if it works will build a tardist. It's a pretty advanced IRC client despite that it's been in suspended animation since 1999... :lol:

oh nice, i'd give it a try :-)
with all due respect to irssi, for interactive use i do prefer a gui program. being on a bunch of networks with multiple channels each a gui client with a separate channel list and other perks is a serious improvement.
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote:
vishnu wrote: Will try it on my Octane tonight and if it works will build a tardist. It's a pretty advanced IRC client despite that it's been in suspended animation since 1999... :lol:

oh nice, i'd give it a try :-)
with all due respect to irssi, for interactive use i do prefer a gui program. being on a bunch of networks with multiple channels each a gui client with a separate channel list and other perks is a serious improvement.

Coolness! 8-)

There's one problem I still need to solve, the pulldown widgets on the menubar aren't getting named, I compiled in editres support so you can name them with the editres resource setter, but he's got the widget creation so deeply enmeshed in C++ classes that I haven't been able to find yet where the names are getting missed. With older versions of g++ this didn't happen with the exact same code. Here's a screenshot, as you can see the widget label strings are falling back to their X Window ID numbers:
Project:
Plan:
damn what a cheesy bg pic :P
r-a-c.de
That was my vacation to Pango Pango! :lol: 8-)
Project:
Plan:
vishnu wrote: Yes but the guy who created Cedar Mesa exceptions said, at the C++ standardization meeting in 1991, “termination is preferred over resumption; this is not a matter of opinion but a matter of years of experience. Resumption is seductive, but not valid.”

I didn't say the people behind it were necessarily in the right ballpark.
What you're quoting shows a very serious confusion about what an exception system is for (which Stroustrop unfortunately labored under also): all it is, is a control transfer mechanism. It is sometimes convenient to use the exception system for error handling, but that really has nothing to do with how it should be designed.
So no, there is no problem with using exceptions that can be continued. What you usually would like to do is continue from a point before the exception was taken, but after the handler. When the stack is unwound to the handler first, there's no way to do that.

An easy use example would be a debugger that exists as a library. When the program encounters an exception, the handler from the library is given control and can print out or record the context that took the exception. When it's decided what to do (maybe the method had = when it should have ==) corrective steps can be taken and the method re-entered. As it stands users need to use external programs for debugging, which has many problems. Another example is logging. The debugger library could be replaced with a logging library that handles the same exceptions.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Well, that's easy, just remember the numbers. 0x80d8b9a0 is File, and ...
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 800MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
With regard to exceptions, the Unix philosophy from the very beginning has been to give up rather than recover, from wikipedia: The kernel panic was introduced in an early version of Unix and demonstrated a major difference between the design philosophies of Unix and its predecessor Multics. Multics developer Tom van Vleck recalls a discussion of this change with Unix developer Dennis Ritchie:

I remarked to Dennis that easily half the code I was writing in Multics was error recovery code. He said, "We left all that stuff out. If there's an error, we have this routine called panic, and when it is called, the machine crashes, and you holler down the hall, 'Hey, reboot it!'"
Project:
Plan:
Adium on MacOSX seems to be working but i can't see anyone on IRC, i mean i am usually contacted by friends that see me on the channel while i am not able to se anyone. If you see me and want to have a call, feel free to call me as i do not see any events (people entering a channel, people leaving, i do not see anything)

sometimes i am used to use a more serious irc client on linux, but it's a more rare event :lol:
vishnu wrote: I remarked to Dennis that easily half the code I was writing in Multics was error recovery code. He said, "We left all that stuff out. If there's an error, we have this routine called panic, and when it is called, the machine crashes, and you holler down the hall, 'Hey, reboot it!'"

that's the pure Truth !

and that's the motivation why i have added a pretty motd to the kernel/panic.c, when the kernel panics it says " have you muued today? ", then forcing an auto-reset due to the watch dog timer (1), that's because using a panic is a dumb-cow method :lol:

(1) it's possible on a SoC, you always have a WDT on a SoC, and if it's enabled … you have to reset it within a window-time, if the kernel panics there is no WDT reset, if there is no WDT reset … the WDT will trigger, so everything causes a panic will also cause a reset of the (remote) machine
ivelegacy wrote: Adium on MacOSX seems to be working but i can't see anyone on IRC, i mean i am usually contacted by friends that see me on the channel while i am not able to se anyone. If you see me and want to have a call, feel free to call me as i do not see any events (people entering a channel, people leaving, i do not see anything)

sometimes i am used to use a more serious irc client on linux, but it's a more rare event :lol:

I use irssi, it is in ports. FYI I don't see your nick in #nekochan right now (mine is mjw)

For the record, I tried out adium and it had no trouble connecting and joining the channel (the latest version 1.5.10)
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.
guardian452 wrote: I tried out adium and it had no trouble connecting and joining the channel (the latest version 1.5.10)

it joins, it connects, but i can't see any events, also the user list is empty
i know it is working because when i am online a dude i know is able to contact me

btw, i have the mac-port, i think i will emerge a better client
ivelegacy wrote:
guardian452 wrote: I tried out adium and it had no trouble connecting and joining the channel (the latest version 1.5.10)

it joins, it connects, but i can't see any events, also the user list is empty
i know it is working because when i am online a dude i know is able to contact me

btw, i have the mac-port, i think i will emerge a better client

iirc that's normal for adium. after connecting you have to join a channel to actually see something
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: after connecting you have to join a channel to actually see something

already done, but sill not working, also sometimes it crashes
i have emerged irssi /MacOSX (mac-ports), and it's working good, i can see the #nekochan channel
=)

i don't know what is wrong with adium, but i am removing it