HP/DEC/Compaq

Digital Unix on an "a" model - Page 2

Krokodil wrote: There are some freeware packages floating around for Tru64

like these: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16729289 ? :P

Still makes a fine server though.

of course, as mentioned already this is all about desktop stuff. for server use all unices are great :D
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote:
Krokodil wrote: There are some freeware packages floating around for Tru64

like these: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16729289 ? :P

Still makes a fine server though.

of course, as mentioned already this is all about desktop stuff. for server use all unices are great :D

I was thinking of this place actually.
https://wiki.classe.cornell.edu/Computing/Tru64Freeware

Has much more than what is offered at your link. Whether it works, I have no idea since I am using my Alpha exclusively for VMS.
:Octane2: Octane2 - (Algogulf) - R14K - 2x600MHZ - 2.5GB RAM - V12
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30 - Long Term Layup
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM
ah yeah nice never seen that. seems to be updates to the official tru64 freeware cd compaq shipped for a while. i didn't see a download link tho.
anyway as for the age, going by the versions this could be from around 2000 or so
r-a-c.de
miod wrote:
ClassicHasClass wrote: Right. NetBSD, Tru64, VMS, etc., need SRM. Only Linux, it seems, can tolerate ARCS.

By ARCS, I suppose you mean `AlphaBIOS'? We're not on SGI hardware here :D

Right, I meant ARC. SGI calls it ARCS and DEC called it ARC or AlphaBIOS, both implementations of the ARC bootloader.
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
miod wrote:
ClassicHasClass wrote: Right. NetBSD, Tru64, VMS, etc., need SRM. Only Linux, it seems, can tolerate ARCS.

By ARCS, I suppose you mean `AlphaBIOS'? We're not on SGI hardware here :D

Er, yes :D
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
My partner & I have a good thing going.. we like to spend time together, but also like to do our own thing, as long as we are in the same house-ish.

She now has a wedding to plan, which we talk about, but she already has it sorted, so I throw in comments and suggestions (that I know are not going to fit) and I'm greeted with a "that's a good idea, maybe.. but [THAT'S NEVER HAPPENING]" responses. Which is fine, as I wouldn't really expect her to help me get Certificate authentication server running so DOMINO can register users..

If I have Visual Studio running with code, she knows I'm working.

If she walks into the room and can't hear her own voice and see's video looping and the big blue boxes on.. she knows I'm doing fsck all constructive and just using electricity.

If she finds me sat on the dinning room table in front of my [sons] 586, I guess she thinks I'm just making it a bit better for him (not actually creating some 90s SKYNET).

If she finds I'm not doing any of these and its after 7.. then she phones the pub!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
uunix wrote: If she finds I'm not doing any of these and its after 7.. then she phones the pub!

:lol:
r-a-c.de
She now has a wedding to plan

Congratulations are in order, then?
smit happens.

probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ClassicHasClass wrote:
She now has a wedding to plan

Congratulations are in order, then?

I did congratulate her on finding the perfect man.. :D
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
uunix wrote: I did congratulate her on finding the perfect man.. :D

Judging by the avatar, you guys are even bigger procrastinators than Giovanni Arnolfini and Giovanna Cenami :P
me, I spend a lotta time picking flowers up on choctaw ridge ...
hamei wrote:
uunix wrote: I did congratulate her on finding the perfect man.. :D

Judging by the avatar, you guys are even bigger procrastinators than Giovanni Arnolfini and Giovanna Cenami :P

No idea who they are chap, but yes.. we have another child also.

Last month we had been together 7 years. It took that long for my ex to divorce me, so now we are getting married a year to the day my divorce came in.

But my ex still holds the cards... THE LOFT!!!
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
uunix wrote: No idea who they are chap, but yes..

Oh, man ! How quickly people forget ! It's barely 600 years since they were the hottest thing on social media :(

Last month we had been together 7 years. It took that long for my ex to divorce me,

Are you sure you want to ditch that one, youyou ? Usually they get upset a lot quicker than that.

You seem to take a lot of trips up there ... hmm ;)
hamei wrote:

You seem to take a lot of trips up there ... hmm ;)

I'm a man of habit.. Find a woman.. buy a house.. take over the Loft..
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
Man, the prices of used Sun Ultra's! Making the DEC look like a more attainable machine but I think the Sun's are a better machine for what I'm looking for. Off to play the lotto...
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
uunix wrote: She now has a wedding to plan, which we talk about, but she already has it sorted, so I throw in comments and suggestions (that I know are not going to fit) and I'm greeted with a "that's a good idea, maybe.. but [THAT'S NEVER HAPPENING]" responses.

fsck it all, go to the county courthouse and get yourself a marriage license, find a bona-fide ordained minister on craigslist who for $60 will make it official, and if you insist on spending silly money, blow the rest on a honeymoon 8-)
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
uunix wrote: But my ex still holds the cards... THE LOFT!!!

never say "ex" until you are sure you haven't left anything into her house
last time it happened .... bye bye to all my Def Leppard & Garbage CDs :lol:
(I had an autograph by Shirley Manson , damn)
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my English still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
uunix wrote: She now has a wedding to plan, which we talk about, but she already has it sorted, so I throw in comments and suggestions (that I know are not going to fit) and I'm greeted with a "that's a good idea, maybe.. but [THAT'S NEVER HAPPENING]" responses.

Lucky. My wife and her helpers just gave me looks - I'm sure you know the type of looks.

-aus come equipped for Tru64/OpenVMS. In addition to putting SRM on them you'll also need to make sure that the hardware is OVMS/Tru64 compatible. Usually this just means SCSI controller (ISP1040) and graphics (easy to find options are Trio64 or Permedia2).

The PWS were a good model, but if I were playing with the kind of budget that can afford a dual 600 Octane I'd go for a 21264 or better. There were some good improvements and they'll run some Radeons. Downside is that memory may be harder to come by, depending on model.
For any Alpha go ahead and set it up dual-boot Tru64 and OVMS, and mentally prepare yourself for getting the second one to have a cluster. Yeah, it's mostly pointless for a single-user hobbyist situation but... so cool because it's really done right.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
I stuck a DECchip-based video card in mine. Much, much faster in Tru64. NetBSD can also accelerate this framebuffer (tga).
smit happens.

ClassicHasClass wrote: I stuck a DECchip-based video card in mine. Much, much faster in Tru64. NetBSD can also accelerate this framebuffer (tga).

I put an Oxygen VX1 2D accelerator in mine. Considered a Radeon but there are almost no 3D applications available for VMS to justify the cost.
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM
Referring to what makes it an "a" versus an "au" - didn't the "au" models always have SCSI, whereas some "a" models were only shipped with IDE?
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube: