HP/DEC/Compaq

Digital Unix on an "a" model - Page 1

I'm thinking it's time to add a new-old computer to my collection, I like the old RISC machines. I picked up an SGI Octane 2, dual 600, a couple years ago and really enjoy using it. Next up on my list is something running either a Sparc, PA-RISC or Alpha processor(s). In reading up on the different DEC personal workstations that were made I saw that some were designated with an "a" for Windows NT or "au" for Digital Unix. My question is: can a box with an "a" designation be loaded with Digital Unix?
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
My understanding is that SRM is for Unix and VMS while ARCS boots NT. Some firmwares include both, you just have to flip modes. So as long as an appropriate firmware is available, there's no real difference?

Not too sure though, please verify this independently, but if noone else steps up with better info perhaps this gives you some leads to start looking.
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
How old do you want to go, my SUN BLADE 2000 was an excellent machine, Dual 900 MHz CPU, a PC Card, 4 Port Ethernet & XV500 Card. I may obtain a another one day (when I have the space) and rebuild it all.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
duck wrote: My understanding is that SRM is for Unix and VMS while ARCS boots NT. Some firmwares include both, you just have to flip modes. So as long as an appropriate firmware is available, there's no real difference?

Not too sure though, please verify this independently, but if noone else steps up with better info perhaps this gives you some leads to start looking.

Great, thanks Duck! I'll look into this.

uunix wrote: How old do you want to go, my SUN BLADE 2000 was an excellent machine, Dual 900 MHz CPU, a PC Card, 4 Port Ethernet & XV500 Card. I may obtain a another one day (when I have the space) and rebuild it all.

I like old but something that still has functionality. Something I can install some apps to play around with. The Octane 2 I have is a lot of fun. I have Maya on it and am working to get around the activation issue with a new install of Photoshop and Illustrator. I'm just starting the looking process so I'll have to weigh age with functionality on the Dec's - I've been looking at a bunch of UltraSparc machines too. Gotta say, I do like them and, spec wise, one can really find something with a lot balls in it in terms of CPUs.
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
oh well, no doubts, they are fun, but ...

{
a lot of time ago I put an luna/88k in my wish list. Too hard to find, too expensive, too effort required made me so flighty of heart that I wanted to recant my wish to collect Luna because the peril was great: Gaga did true blood threats, something like ... " I will not kill you (I guess) but be sure I will bloody smash any Luna that gets in, there is no space for an other she here, especially if she will cost more than my boots "

So bad girl, she sings " boots are made for walking " (by Nancy Sinatra), she has up to 20 pairs of boots, but she does not understand my needs when I push a new toy into my wish list. Luckily she is books tolerant, with a pile of books, everywhere around the living room, kitchen, and bed room, so I converted my previous wish into datebook (88100/88200 ISA), but Amazon failed all the times, and every ebay search told me to " go fsck myself !!! ". Then my search had success when I received an email from a vintage drugs dealer of NewYork who is used to have old books in his shelf: " we have the book you are looking for, just 25 bucks shipped ". Oh, my goodness, christmas gift (and Gaga does not know that I am secretly cooking my Luna in VHDL (oh well, perhaps, just the 88100 CPU))
}

but ... what is your secret against vamp femme fatale, buddies ?
How can you collect workstations avoiding to be engaged into a bloody war against the girl/woman you live with, under the same roof ?
bye.
Yet another classic ivelegacy...

But what did it all mean? Does Lady Gaga love boot more than you? Is that all she wears? Do you love computers more than her?

Now I'm not Jeremy Kyle, but I'd say you are a match made in heaven.. she can boot up her boots while you boot up your boot()s
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
duck wrote: My understanding is that SRM is for Unix and VMS while ARCS boots NT. Some firmwares include both, you just have to flip modes. So as long as an appropriate firmware is available, there's no real difference?

That is exactly right.

Note that some lower-spec machines can only be in one mode at a time and must be reflashed to switch; my 164LX is one of these. Since it exists to run Tru64, it runs the SRM console. Linux can also boot on the ARCS console, but most everything else needs SRM.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ivelegacy wrote: oh well, no doubts, they are fun, but ...

{
a lot of time ago I put an luna/88k in my wish list. Too hard to find, too expensive, too effort required made me so flighty of heart that I wanted to recant my wish to collect Luna because the peril was great: Gaga did true blood threats, something like ... " I will not kill you (I guess) but be sure I will bloody smash any Luna that gets in, there is no space for an other she here, especially if she will cost more than my boots "

So bad girl, she sings " boots are made for walking " (by Nancy Sinatra), she has up to 20 pairs of boots, but she does not understand my needs when I push a new toy into my wish list. Luckily she is books tolerant, with a pile of books, everywhere around the living room, kitchen, and bed room, so I converted my previous wish into datebook (88100/88200 ISA), but Amazon failed all the times, and every ebay search told me to " go fsck myself !!! ". Then my search had success when I received an email from a vintage drugs dealer of NewYork who is used to have old books in his shelf: " we have the book you are looking for, just 25 bucks shipped ". Oh, my goodness, christmas gift (and Gaga does not know that I am secretly cooking my Luna in VHDL (oh well, perhaps, just the 88100 CPU))
}

but ... what is your secret against vamp femme fatale, buddies ?
How can you collect workstations avoiding to be engaged into a bloody war against the girl/woman you live with, under the same roof ?

This is a class post. No mistaking. I thought it was the posting of someone on drugs or maybe slight deranged, but it all comes together in the end!

I don't have an answer for you my friend. However, the older I get the more I understand people less. I've had to deal with all sorts of family head-shaking, so please don't follow-me-leader.

If you are still reading, I'd say if your partner loves you they will understand you, or at least try to. It's very much give and take. There have been situations where I'll turn a blind eye when they do. That works quite well. Or you need to convince them of the value. Retro-computing can take up valuable space and seem like a waste of time and energy, but in the same breath I can say that virtually ever vintage computer I've bought has been sold for more.

I've also turned down many a purchase with my spouse's response in mind. This is also a valuable asset in maintaining a relationship. Make no mistake. It's a case of knowing when something is important and grasping the opportunity at that point. I have a few regrets when it comes to this scenario, but we all have to live with our decisions.

Be true to yourself. If you don't know what that means - self help.
Image , VAXstation 4000/90 x2, VAXstation 4000/60, VAXstation 4000/VLC x2, AlphaServer 1000A, DEC AXP 3000/600 (desktop), DEC AXP 3000/600 x2 (rackmount), DEC AXP 3000/800 (rackmount), AlphaServer 300 4/266, DEC GIGI, Sun Ultra 5, LA75, PP404, Juki 6100, Brother HR10
Vladio wrote: I'm thinking it's time to add a new-old computer to my collection, I like the old RISC machines. I picked up an SGI Octane 2, dual 600, a couple years ago and really enjoy using it. Next up on my list is something running either a Sparc, PA-RISC or Alpha processor(s). In reading up on the different DEC personal workstations that were made I saw that some were designated with an "a" for Windows NT or "au" for Digital Unix. My question is: can a box with an "a" designation be loaded with Digital Unix?

Yes. The difference between `a' and `au' systems is that `a' systems shipped with AlphaBIOS, while `au' systems shipped with SRM. You can upgrade from AlphaBIOS to SRM by booting the SRM update, either from floppy or from a firmware upgrade CDROM.
:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: 2xR12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :O3x0: 4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
urbancamo wrote: I thought it was the posting of someone on drugs or maybe slight deranged

Oh well, the Drugs not the Drugs
I thought, at least an exercise of English :lol:

Obviously, peace, love & respect, and help by yourself .... here it sounds like ... choose if you want to quarrel with your partner, or if I'd better look for alternatives and trade off .

My definitive solution is: to rent a garage (or to buy it for cheap), then moving all my office over there.

Possible motivation: " darling, I need to move my equipment (hot air solder, DSO, LA, electronic instruments etc … ) for job purposes ", which indeed is the Truth :lol:
bye.
ivelegacy wrote: My definitive solution is: to rent a garage (or to buy it for cheap), then moving all my office over there.

That means you'll be away for the evening / day when you're messing with your computers which can quickly escalate to "I never see you anymore / your computers are more important than me / ...".

Also, in the end computers don't like to live in garages. If the humidity doesn't kill them, the unavoidable rodents will.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
jan-jaap wrote: Also, in the end computers don't like to live in garages.
If the humidity doesn't kill them, the unavoidable rodents will.

that indeed is a trouble, but …
… the alternative is to really buy a (second hand) caravan, then converting it into the " bunker of fun "
looking for other alternatives :P
bye.
ClassicHasClass wrote:

That is exactly right.

Note that some lower-spec machines can only be in one mode at a time and must be reflashed to switch; my 164LX is one of these. Since it exists to run Tru64, it runs the SRM console. Linux can also boot on the ARCS console, but most everything else needs SRM.

A-ha, þe olde noodle pulls through for once :-)

I had a vague niggling that ARCS could boot unix too, but that was linux then.
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
Right. NetBSD, Tru64, VMS, etc., need SRM. Only Linux, it seems, can tolerate ARCS.

My 164LX feels more "official" running Tru64, even though I do have NetBSD.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ivelegacy wrote: but ... what is your secret against vamp femme fatale, buddies ?

Rule 1 - say yes to pretty much everything except "will you PLEASE get rid of those d----d computers?!?"
Rule 2 - obey the "one in / one out" rule (or at least don't break it with anything big)
Rule 3 - do not try to impose a similar rule on boots / hats / whatever your significant other collects
Rule 4 - be patient; having shared a study for several years, I now have it to myself for 'putering (with more/better shelving and a second table/desk)
Rule 5 - don't mess up your significant other's computer (learned the hard way, after inadvertently leaving a laptop unbootable due to an incomplete GRUB installation)

To give my wife credit, she put up with another room being stacked half full with various computing equipment for far longer than had been anticipated when we offered some temporary storage for a small part of the TNMOC collection. Managed to hand that back shortly before our daughter arrived. But occasionally I come unstuck - the arrival of the Fuel (my second SGI box) about six weeks later did not go down well, so I had to try to sell the Indigo2 (no offers, shucks ;) .

I keep within reasonable limits by going for smaller stuff - a Saintsong EspressoPC in place of a large Compaq desktop, and two Raspberry Pis - and making judicious use of KVM and VNC to do as much as possible from one monitor (or occasionally two), or from a laptop in the sitting room. Last year the girls were away for a few days so I had a chance to set up the old Acorn RISCiX boxes on the dining table for a session, and early this year an Octane snuck in on the premise that it was for someone else who then found two elsewhere .
Fuel ; Indigo2 ; Octane ; RiscPC Kinetic/448MB/RISCOS4.39 or Debian-etch; Dell Inspiron4100/P3 1GHz/1GB/Debian-stable; EspressoPC ViaC3/900MHz/256MB/Debian-testing; RPi B RISCOS5.23; Rpi2 Raspbian-jessie; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21; R140/35MHz/4MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21
Vladio wrote: I like old but something that still has functionality. Something I can install some apps to play around with.

that's the main problem with everything but irix. for desktop use it's just nothing there with the exception of maybe some rather specific things you might have by accident such as cfd visualizers or some cad stuff.
for more common use solaris is your best bet. there you can have a quite recent firefox, openoffice and gimp but that's about it. with all others you're out of luck as far as the desktop goes unless you're fine with just a text editor and compiler i.e. a pure dev box.
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote:
Vladio wrote: I like old but something that still has functionality. Something I can install some apps to play around with.

that's the main problem with everything but irix. for desktop use it's just nothing there with the exception of maybe some rather specific things you might have by accident such as cfd visualizers or some cad stuff.
for more common use solaris is your best bet. there you can have a quite recent firefox, openoffice and gimp but that's about it. with all others you're out of luck as far as the desktop goes unless you're fine with just a text editor and compiler i.e. a pure dev box.

I had a feeling that was how it was going to be and have been leaning toward Sun. I could swear Alias had 3d software that ran on the Alpha but I'm sure that's a tough find (if I'm right about it being available).
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Vladio wrote: I could swear Alias had 3d software that ran on the Alpha but I'm sure that's a tough find (if I'm right about it being available).

the renderman and mental ray renderers were available for the alpha as well as a full version of lightwave but for the alpha version of windows nt.
for a while alias was available for aix, hpux and solaris. those versions however were not complete one way or another.

as far as the desktop goes osf/tru64 had the smallest selection of available software.
r-a-c.de
ClassicHasClass wrote: Right. NetBSD, Tru64, VMS, etc., need SRM. Only Linux, it seems, can tolerate ARCS.

By ARCS, I suppose you mean `AlphaBIOS'? We're not on SGI hardware here :D
:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: 2xR12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :O3x0: 4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
ajw99uk wrote:
ivelegacy wrote: but ... what is your secret against vamp femme fatale, buddies ?

Rule 1 - say yes to pretty much everything except "will you PLEASE get rid of those d----d computers?!?"
Rule 2 - obey the "one in / one out" rule (or at least don't break it with anything big)
Rule 3 - do not try to impose a similar rule on boots / hats / whatever your significant other collects
Rule 4 - be patient; having shared a study for several years, I now have it to myself for 'putering (with more/better shelving and a second table/desk)
Rule 5 - don't mess up your significant other's computer (learned the hard way, after inadvertently leaving a laptop unbootable due to an incomplete GRUB installation)

To give my wife credit, she put up with another room being stacked half full with various computing equipment for far longer than had been anticipated when we offered some temporary storage for a small part of the TNMOC collection. Managed to hand that back shortly before our daughter arrived. But occasionally I come unstuck - the arrival of the Fuel (my second SGI box) about six weeks later did not go down well, so I had to try to sell the Indigo2 (no offers, shucks ;) .

I keep within reasonable limits by going for smaller stuff - a Saintsong EspressoPC in place of a large Compaq desktop, and two Raspberry Pis - and making judicious use of KVM and VNC to do as much as possible from one monitor (or occasionally two), or from a laptop in the sitting room. Last year the girls were away for a few days so I had a chance to set up the old Acorn RISCiX boxes on the dining table for a session, and early this year an Octane snuck in on the premise that it was for someone else who then found two elsewhere .

Earlier this year an Octane also snuck into this house. Got from FedEX, dragged box down into the basement before anyone saw it, unpacked the thing, it was quite a bit bigger than it appears in photos, then hauled up to the room with the other machines in the dead of the night.

foetz wrote:

There are some freeware packages floating around for Tru64, but it's pretty old stuff. You can imagine how the situation is for VMS, most of the freeware is also ancient, hasn't been touched in 2 decades and almost all of it comes exclusively in source form. Desktop applications (outside of very hard to obtain DEC era software) are practically non existent, though I did get the shareware version of wolf3d to work on it. :) . Still makes a fine server though.
:Octane2: Octane2 - (Algogulf) - R14K - 2x600MHZ - 2.5GB RAM - V12
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30 - Long Term Layup
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM