SGI: Video

Was this PCI-X card used in SGI Flame/Smoke systems ? - Page 1

A long time ago I picked up this card at a surplus place. From what I gather it is called a DVS Centaurus or sometimes a IRIS 1.1card. It looked like it might be a high end PC video editing/capture card so I took a gamble of buying it. Technically it sort of is but, not anything used in PC/Apple desktop stuff as far as I ever found. It seems to be a high HD-SDI capture card made for different markets but, used mainly in hard core surveillance and monitoring systems.

I did, however, find mention that it was used in Smoke and Flame systems. It is a PCI-X card so, SGI could be possible. Anyone seen one of these in a Flame system ?

Yo,

DVS is the manufacturer.

In SGI world this was called DM6, the info is here: http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/DMediaPro# ... I.2FO_card

And from what I understood, while there was support in Irix for DM6, it also required special support on the application side (because it used openml), and smoke/flame never had support for it.
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO
I am looking into the DVS files for Irix (can be found on the DM6 URL from the previous post) and the Centaurus support is mentioned there. So there's a chance this card is supported (supposedly the Centaurus combines the features of SDStation and HDStation).

If you get anywhere with trying to use it, let us know!
Also, check out http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/DMediaPro# ... I.2FO_Card .
The product "DM12" on the DMediaPro page mentions Centaurus explicitly.
Ah thanks. This does look like it would be a DM12 since this has HD-SDI written all over it. Funny how in all my googling, way back when, Nekochan never hit when all the words I was searching for were right there in the Wiki. This http://www.creativemac.com/article/SGI- ... stem-34519 has a lot of info on it actually. Sounds like it was for the Prism and had Linux drivers.

I am unlikely to ever get my hands on a Prism although I'd like to. I sold off the last of my HD-SDI gear long ago when I got out of video production anyway. Is there someone here that needs this ? As long as it didn't involve me spending any money on shipping I'd swap this for about anything more fun then a PCI-X card that sits in a drawer. Mind you no idea if this works or not. Looks pretty though.
Wooo Ahhh now that's an Arm and a Leg..$US19,500.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
What are the chances of this turning up on this side of the pond so soon after this discussion... o.0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DVS-IRIS-2-0- ... SwuxFYwTx9
20 quid opening bid!

I can vouch for that seller (recycler), have got many a strange and wonderful contraption from them in the past.
sshhhhh 8-)
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
ahh sheet, sorry mate. :oops:

What are the chances... thing looks fooked anyway. Sellers a crook. nothing to see here peeps. 8-)
spiroyster wrote: ahh sheet, sorry mate. :oops:

What are the chances... thing looks fooked anyway. Sellers a crook. nothing to see here peeps. 8-)

LOL Chap.. it's fine, I haven't even got a PRISM yet. You are right though, coincidence or what, I was just searching for terms that would suggest a seller passingly didn't know what they were selling which led me to a few other searches and then I found it, but not searching for DVS.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
These aren't totally rare on ebay. I have seen a few. They just never say what it actually was from or did. They just list the words on the card and carry on like that one. I think they sold a lot more of these in security and manufacturing stuff than post production gear. Probably being found in those systems. Must have been some nice looking camera footage of whatever it was.
I only ran into the Smoke mention by chance. I've never found a SGI mention until now. In talking with another user it's not even clear the SGI side of things ever came to anything much more than a press release.
Well I won the one of eBay for a nice £20, hopefully it's a DM6, but we all suspect it's a DM12.

I'll plug it in a FUEL when it arrives and see if anything gets recognized.

Otherwise I'm on the look out for a desk side PRISM.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
uunix wrote: Otherwise I'm on the look out for a desk side PRISM.

I haven't seem them on Ebay in years, but it does seem mashek.com has them in stock ( http://www.mashek.com/SGIsystems/Prism.php ).
SGI jumped the shark when it dropped MIPS, just say no to all things SGI on Intel/Linux... ;)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: SGI jumped the shark when it dropped MIPS, just say no to all things SGI on Intel/Linux... ;)

I chose to limit myself to their MIPS/IRIX range. You've got to draw the line somewhere if you don't want to become the computer equivalent of the crazy cat lady, and this is where I drew my line. I might make an exception for an IRIS 3130 but chances of that happening are slim.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
jan-jaap wrote:
vishnu wrote: SGI jumped the shark when it dropped MIPS, just say no to all things SGI on Intel/Linux... ;)

I chose to limit myself to their MIPS/IRIX range. You've got to draw the line somewhere if you don't want to become the computer equivalent of the crazy cat lady, and this is where I drew my line. I might make an exception for an IRIS 3130 but chances of that happening are slim.

I am a crazy cat person! I've owned VW320 VW540 in the past..
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
Talk about stereotyping. As a proud 540/320 owner I take offence to being lumped in the same camp as Itanium!

just cuz it got 'intel inside' don't make us all the same ya know. :roll:
spiroyster wrote: Talk about stereotyping. As a proud 540/320 owner I take offence to being lumped in the same camp as Itanium!

Well, I can't go into finite details on this.. but 'intel inside..' means intel inside.. :mrgreen:
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
uunix wrote:
spiroyster wrote: Talk about stereotyping. As a proud 540/320 owner I take offence to being lumped in the same camp as Itanium!

Well, I can't go into finite details on this.. but 'intel inside..' means intel inside.. :mrgreen:

:shock:

I'm astonished, are the moderators of this forum really going to let him talk to me like that. Well, since its such a wild-west around here, you leave me no choice but to unload a full magazine (air gun) of my 21st century opcodes on yourself...

OMG, STFU, GTFO

you godwin invocator ....

I'm done with this.
I think 'intel inside' means intel icide ... ;)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2: