SGI: Video

Problem capturing video on Onyx2

Hi,

I've got a problem capturing video from DIVO on the Onyx2. Namely I don't know, which tool to use. mediarecorder only offers me the option to capture video from screen and dmrecord wants a specified videoport, but the documentation doesn't mention the Onyx-hardware.

So how can I capture video (PAL, preferred uncompressed) on my Onyx?

gandtimo wrote:
I've got a problem capturing video from DIVO on the Onyx2. Namely I don't know, which tool to use. mediarecorder only offers me the option to capture video from screen and dmrecord wants a specified videoport, but the documentation doesn't mention the Onyx-hardware.
Wrong toolset/software. You'll need to install the DIVO/DVC package - Ian has kindly provided a copy in his Resources Depot: http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/depot/6.5.11_ ... 2.4.tar.gz

gandtimo wrote:
So how can I capture video (PAL, preferred uncompressed) on my Onyx?
PAL as in analog? If so the short answer is you don't.

If you haven't already seen them, the DIVO Release Notes and DIVO Option and DIVO-DVC Option Owner's Guide might be helpful:
http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... notes/divo
http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... /ch01.html

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote:
Wrong toolset/software. You'll need to install the DIVO/DVC package - Ian has kindly provided a copy in his Resources Depot: http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/depot/6.5.11_ ... 2.4.tar.gz

Thanks, I'll give it a try

recondas wrote:
PAL as in analog? If so the short answer is you don't.

Why not? Signal is coming from a VTR, composite, converted to SDI, into the DIVO.
videoin shows the video without problems.

gandtimo wrote:
Signal is coming from a VTR,
You may have to tell Software Manager to include some of the optional subsystems, but the DIVO/DVC package has an app called Orion that allows control of some decks (and the capture process).
gandtimo wrote:
composite, converted to SDI , into the DIVO.
Right.

I tried to install the package, but it produced 13 conflicts. 6.5.30 is running. Is there an actual DIVO/DVCPRO package?

You need two software components: the 'base' software (the package Recondas referred to) and the matching overlay software from your 6.5.30 discs (overlay disc #2, 'unbundled' directory).

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
gandtimo wrote:
I tried to install the package, but it produced 13 conflicts. 6.5.30 is running. Is there an actual DIVO/DVCPRO package?
As jan-jaap rightly points out, you'll need the original DIVO/DVC package from Ian's Depot *and* the DIVO/DVC software "upgrade" from your 6.5.30 CD set. The linked file is the actual DIVO/DVC software package; if your Onyx2 was still running IRIX 6.5.11 it would provide a complete self-contained installation. Since your Onyx2 is running an 'upgraded' version of IRIX 6.5, you'll have to upgrade the DIVO/DVC software package to match.

There's a basic run-through on the DIVO/DVC installation process in this post . BTW, the topic there was installing/running an Onyx2 DIVO in an Octane, but the software install process will be the same.

FWIW, I'd recommend you fore go the default install process and instead use the 'Custom' install option in Software Manager . That will allow you the opportunity to see exactly what is or isn't selected for installation (like Orion). Many of the software packages (for hardware options) will have 'extras' that aren't included in a default install.

Thanks for the explanations :)
Must have been too late or too hot yesterday. Normally I'm able to install software and READ the conflicts shown :)

Now I installed the DIVO/DVC package, but mediarecorder still shows only the option to capture from screen, videoin crashes after a few seconds and Orion crashes the whole X...
Any ideas?

Couple of random thoughts:

* Does the DIVO show up in 'hinv' and '/usr/dmedia/binDIVO/divohinv'?
* Did you run the DIVO hardware diagnostics ?
* In some ways DIVO works different than other video options because it connects to system memory, not the graphics system. man(7) divo refers to avcapture(1) "to store large volumes of audio and video data in realtime" . Maybe worth a try?

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Greetings,
there's a way to change res in SI|3d 4.0 to 1600x1024?
thanks
Couldn't you just use xsetmon to set the monitor resolution to that and then size the SI window to cover the entire screen?
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
iirc the main softimage window is sort of custom. i've never been able to do anything else but either stowing or restoring it.
Yes you can check the documentation. But I believe under display resolution it says "1024 × 768, 1280 × 1024, 1600 × 1024 (SGI Visual Workstation for Windows only), or 1600 × 1200 (Note: For 1600 × 1024, set the SI_SCREENRES environment variable to SI_1600X1024 for maximum horizontal display.)"
Looks like you can monkey with the environment script to make it work. I know I've set up a Dell 1920x1200 monitor and the SGI 1600x1024 monitor using the SI_SCREENRES environment variable.
For anyone who wants more info on this. hermessgi is correct
edit the file /usr/Softimage/Soft3D_4.0/.softimage400 <I presume, the 4.0 and 400 are dependant on your version of softimage.
add the following line for 1600sw monitors.

setenv SI_SCREENRES SI_1600X1024

This works a treat on my o2 with 1600sw.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy: