SGI: Development

New package: Updated MPlayer - Page 3

Longshot here, but you think that eventually you can port the MPlayer fork mpv - people have been saying MPlayer is dying

Maybe -- ft this a spiritual successor to MPlayer. I'm going to check it out.
TeamBlackFox wrote: Longshot here, but you think that eventually you can port the MPlayer fork mpv -

Not to be an obstreperous bastard here but if you take a look at all those fork sites (mplayer2, xmplayer, mpv, &c) you will see that the major reason for their fork is "the mplayer team was too obstinate about 'cleaning up the code and getting rid of all that old cruft'. "

Old cruft = Irix. That's us, folks.

I spent a little effort talking to the xmplayer people because a single MIPS cpu is kinda slow for today's software. Two should be better and xmplayer was pushing smp. A short but accurate description of these forkers would be "asshole".

people have been saying MPlayer is dying

People say a lot of things ...
the bourgeousie is ultimately a repressive institution, and I hate it ...
I did benchmarks a while ago on a dual 300MHz MIPS Octane2 to the dual 1.2GHz ARMv7 CPU in my cellular - but of course they weren't but so relative. That phone has 512MB RAM, so I loaded 512MB in the Octane, and I forced software decoding on my phone running mplayer to the Octane running mplayer, V8 graphics hardware.

The Octane dropped only 15% more frames in pure software decoding on XviD video at 640x480 at a relatively high bitrate. My phone is a midrange generic T-Mobile smartphone. If I changed it to gl2 or sgi for the mplayer, then it would close the gap to only 9%. My 600MHz dual Octane is out of comission at the minute due to waiting on a part.

Also, hamei, mpv mostly got rid of little used features of mplayer, and it still builds on MIPS systems according to my discussions on the mailing list. I imagine Axatax would have some nasty backporting to do though to get all the nice optimisations going good.

One of these days when I'm done with my C course at college I'll look into porting xine - C applications seem to have an easier time running on IRIX.
:O3x02L: R16000 700Mhz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane:
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4400 100MHz 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
:O2: R12000SC 300MHz 192MB RAM 15k 147GB HDD suzuha
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M FreeBSD 11/Windows 7 rin
Acer Aspire 5157 (headless) 4GB, FreeBSD 11 kuran
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.7GHz 2GB RAM kasha
OK guys --

I just sent a metric ton of updated packages to /incoming relating to this project. Sorry for the delay on this -- getting the dependencies correct to work with both old/new MPlayers are somewhat of a challenge. :?

There's also a new "old" MPlayer that corrects the speex dependency and corrects some other Q/C-type issues -- LMK if this works OK.

Everything should be a 100% drop in/clean update if I handled this correctly. Please test and let me know.

If you want to play with the new mplayer, the .tar.gz in my directory still pertains. This is going to be a proper .tardist soon, but there's alot of "parts" to this, and I want to get it into a state where I can essentially automate routine builds of this.

Thanks for hanging in...
Axatax_ wrote: OK guys --

I just sent a metric ton of updated packages to /incoming relating to this project.

Thank you, Mr Ax. Appreciate it very much.

Back to On Any Sunday (hey, it's Sunday, right ?)
the bourgeousie is ultimately a repressive institution, and I hate it ...
Okay, fer those of ya what's afraid of the unknown ....
alex_returns.jpg
you have been recruited by the star league to guard the frontier against the zurian invasion

Everything appears to be copacetic, c'mon in, the water's fine. Works at least as well as before, perhaps better. I now have two mplayers in the swmgr display but that is quite possibly because my installation is a mess. Too many betas :? Someone with a cleaner installation should give this baby a run-through but not to fear, it does work.

I'd give 'er a vote for /current but this is just a step on the way to a more current version ? With better threading support ?
I've just tried to install it but am facing some issues.
  • libdca and libx264 couldn't be mapped, which has been solved by copying MPlayer-1.1.1/lib folder content to /usr/local/lib
  • libdvdnavmini.so.5 still remains and I can't find how to install it (even find the file somewhere to download it)

Did any of you also encountered this issue and found a way to solve it ?
Am I doing sth wrong ?
:Onyx2: : oxygen (4xR12k400) / :A3504L: :A3504L: : neon (16xI2 1.6, 9MB L2) / :O200: :O200: : beryllium (4xR12k270)
:Fuel: : nitrogen (R16k800) / :Octane2: : carbon (2xR14k600) / :Octane: : lithium (R10k400) / :Octane: : fluorine (2xR12k300) / spare 2xR12k360
:O2: : hydrogen (R10k195) / :O2: : sodium (R5k180) / :O2: : R5k180->200 MB and PM only
:Indigo2IMP: : helium (R10k195, HighImpact) / :Indigo2IMP: : boron (R4k250)/ :Indigo: : magnesium (R4k100) / :Indy: : aluminium (R5k180)
:4D70GT: 4D70GT : my very first one (now property of musée bolo and the foundation mémoires informatiques )
See the hinv/gfxinfo posts here .
Done ! I was too stupid...
My local copy of nekoware/beta was not rsync'd properly. I've now installed the last libdts, libdvdcss, libdvdnav and libdvdread.
Everything is now working OK (more than 10 vids tested so far). Libs could also be removed from /usr/local/lib.

Thanks !
:Onyx2: : oxygen (4xR12k400) / :A3504L: :A3504L: : neon (16xI2 1.6, 9MB L2) / :O200: :O200: : beryllium (4xR12k270)
:Fuel: : nitrogen (R16k800) / :Octane2: : carbon (2xR14k600) / :Octane: : lithium (R10k400) / :Octane: : fluorine (2xR12k300) / spare 2xR12k360
:O2: : hydrogen (R10k195) / :O2: : sodium (R5k180) / :O2: : R5k180->200 MB and PM only
:Indigo2IMP: : helium (R10k195, HighImpact) / :Indigo2IMP: : boron (R4k250)/ :Indigo: : magnesium (R4k100) / :Indy: : aluminium (R5k180)
:4D70GT: 4D70GT : my very first one (now property of musée bolo and the foundation mémoires informatiques )
See the hinv/gfxinfo posts here .
Hey, all -- I appreciate the testing.

Let me clarify what's going on here WRT to all these packages in /beta.

There's effectively three branches of MPlayer now --

1. There's the MPlayer 1.0rc1 in /current - all of the dependencies are satisfied with packages in /current. Circa 2006. Stable branch.

2. There's the MPlayer 1.0rc1-1 in /beta. This requires libdca, libdvdcss, libdvdread, and libdvdnav from /beta. Same branch as /current, but with updated DVD libraraies. If you don't play DVDs off of physical media, this branch is probably not an upgrade from #1 above. It's a **big** improvement for DVD playback off of physical media (I'm batting 100%)...

3: The MPlayer 1.1 link here: ftp://ftp.nekochan.net/pub/downloads/co ... 1.1.tar.gz . This is the latest and greatest MPlayer, and requires the libdca, libdvdcss, libdvdread, and libdvdnav from /beta. This is not a .tardist. You need to install this into /opt and run the included shell script.
These can be removed from /beta, as the current packages effectively obsolete them, and are compatible with both the 1.0 and 1.1 branches --

neko_libdvdcss-1.2.9.tardist (replaced by -r1)
neko_libdvdnav-4.2.1.tardist (replaced by -r1)
neko_libdvdread-4.2.1.tardist (replaced by -r1)
neko_libdts-0.0.2.tardist (obsoleted by libdca, which is compatible with libdts)
Axatax_ wrote: 2. There's the MPlayer 1.0rc1-1 in /beta. This requires libdca, libdvdcss, libdvdread, and libdvdnav from /beta. Same branch as /current, but with updated DVD libraraies. If you don't play DVDs off of physical media, this branch is probably not an upgrade from #1 above. It's a **big** improvement for DVD playback off of physical media (I'm batting 100%)...

If one other person would try this hummer out we could move to /current ... the original was excellent (I use it all the time), this one does not go backwards in any way but adds some features for playing from DVD ....

3: The MPlayer 1.1 link here: ftp://ftp.nekochan.net/pub/downloads/co ... 1.1.tar.gz . This is the latest and greatest MPlayer,

This one also works well as long as you have the above-mentioned prerequisities installed. So far so good.

One question tho - any predictions on the -vo sgi feature ?

It'll be there in the next drop of MPlayer 1.1 which will also be a .tardist. I just didn't prioritize this becase I wanted a working 'proof of concept' build and the GL2 renderer was good enough for this.
If one other person would try this hummer out we could move to /current ... the original was excellent (I use it all the time), this one does not go backwards in any way but adds some features for playing from DVD ....

We should already have the 3+ person consensus. This latest drop just added the speex dependency.
Axatax_ wrote: We should already have the 3+ person consensus. This latest drop just added the speex dependency.

Okay le. I'll pm da Boss if you like ...
With better threading support ?

I didn't even see this...

On the 1.1 branch, you can try runnng it with -lavdopts threads=8 on 480p h.264 content (make sure you have the libx264 from /beta installed)...

"torrent"-type 480p content is _almost_ passible on my 2x600 Octane. Really -----> <----- this close (the audio gets out of sync with the video, but is otherwise passible). I watched the first two chapters of the Hobbit in 480p on the Octane, with sync issues. I bet a fast Fuel or Tezro could pull this off.
I now have two mplayers in the swmgr display but that is quite possibly because my installation is a mess.

Hmm, the .tardist in /beta should repace the current MPlayer cleanly... It does @ my site at least.

Will look into this.
Axatax_ wrote: Hmm, the .tardist in /beta should repace the current MPlayer cleanly... It does @ my site at least.

Will look into this.

Don't spend too much time on that ... I probaly borked it in some way, forcing it to do something it didn't want. Or maybe that was a leftover from years ago, when MPlayer was new. This installation is ten years old ...

I have it working now --

gonna try to make a .tardist in the next day or two (depending on schedule). I don't want to promise anything as I've botched that on the last two attempts....

But it always gets into /incomming......
Just an update on this --

I'm now an "official" MPlayer dev., so hopefully the IRIX port can mirror the official releases going forward. There's been alot of "drug dealing" going on behind the scenes, and this has taken up some time -- right now, there's one person (or one and a half ppl.), agnosticising the MIPS assembler stuff in the newer libavcodec and x264. It's really about 90% there.

Just hang on a bit longer -- it's gonna happen... Haven't let you guyz wrong yet...
Axatax_ wrote: I'm now an "official" MPlayer dev
Woo hoo! Congrats!
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube: