SGI: Development

New package: Updated MPlayer - Page 4

Awesome news! Anything that helps get useful tools like MPlayer developed in a more MIPS/IRIX-friendly way has got to be a good thing :)
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2
Just an update on this, and sorry for jurking you guyz around :? . I just haven't had the time I had back in Jan. That said, I'm *really* going to try to get something out by the end of the weekend, and I have been working on this diligently.

I'm not going to make any performance claims, but I'm going to post up a youtube video of the current player in action. Maybe there will be some surprises. :D
I gave this a try on a single 600 V12 octane with -vo gl_nosw, the XVID MP4 movie played full speed with sound, same with fullscreen.

if time permits, I'll give my dual 360 MXE octane a spin tonight
Ran into issues with the MXE octane, was the openGL implementation specific to 1.2? Seems impact graphics are openGL 1.1 - i got a white screen with options -gl_nosw and/or -gl, -sdl worked but it was slooow, default ( -gl2?) didn't work

If this has something to do with openGL 1.1, I guess Impact series and o2's would share this issue

Here's the deal with MPlayer --

The version in the /beta directory is absolutely boss on 480i and below. Physical DVD media now works 100%, AFAIK (nobody has reported any disc that doesn't play, yet). DTS works in this version, which was completely absent in the prior version (think the "white noise barrage" during the LOTR 2nd disk changeout...)

The 1.1.1 version can deal with 480p x.264 on a *really* good Octane, sometimes with sync issues, and probably more-or-less correct on an Origin w/graphics or Tezro.

The SVN version of MPlayer is **much** better, but is in a state of flux, so it will take sometime before a proper package appears here (although anyone is welcome to build their own).
I can't test on an MXE or an O2's or an Indy's or anything else than VPro (that's all I have), and I suspect an MXE isn't going to deal with x.264 @ > 480p, ever. Sorry. And if it can, it won't be from me. It will require someone with a much bigger brain than I have.