SGI: Development

Could it be possible to make a full gnu/irix system?

My question is, if it's possible to use a gnu system with IRIX kernel with basic IRIX's tools like software manager, chkconfig... We could keep coherence with GPL softwares. No?
nuts wrote:
My question is, if it's possible to use a gnu system with IRIX kernel with basic IRIX's tools like software manager, chkconfig... We could keep coherence with GPL softwares. No?

Anything is possible. You could even make a replica of a 1964 Ford Fairlane out of cowshit if you really wanted to.
hamei wrote:
nuts wrote:

Anything is possible. You could even make a replica of a 1964 Ford Fairlane out of cowshit if you really wanted to.

isn't that what was asked? :)

Since GCC works well enough to produce and link running code now and you can replace init, there's absolutely no technical reason you couldn't as far as I can tell. Mixing swmgr and chkconfig in would probably not work, though, as they depend on non-GNU-style utils to run.

this guy is nuts!

With a system like that, maybe it will be easier to port softwares on mips ?

When are you going to get started?

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :0300: :Indy: :Indy: :320: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
nuts wrote:
I think to a system that's using Irix kernel and base tools, with GNU bases and only gpl softwares in /bin /usr/bin etc... xorg ...

Go off and do it then come and tell me when you are finished it.

アレゲはアレゲ以上のなにものでもなさげ -- アレゲ研究家

:Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :0300: <-> :0300: <-> :0300: :O200: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2000: :hpserv: J5600,
3 x SUN, 2 x Mac, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 2 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1. Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.
Xorg = have fun. Newport is documented and possible, everything else will be "fun".

There is a point to this work. As IRIX slips gently into the "hasn't been patched for many many years" stage something will need to be done for security patches... OpenSolaris would be a closer match than GNU, though.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
Enough is known about VPro to do a driver if anyone wants to mess with XOrg drivers. XOrg drivers are absolutely awful though, so I doubt anyone would go to that kind of effort. It also takes a GL command stream as its input, and since the ever-brilliant X developers pretty much abandoned XGL it's going to be awfully hard to get that out of X.

I think to a system that's using Irix kernel and base tools, with GNU bases and only gpl softwares in /bin /usr/bin etc... xorg ...

When are you going to get started?

I don't know, I've no tools do make it yet. If I have time, I think I'll try.

I know about vpro and xorg, but I don't know about MGRAS performance with xorg.
bri3d wrote:
Enough is known about VPro to do a driver if anyone wants to mess with XOrg drivers.

Hell, SGI wasn't able to do it, even with an ATi card !
Not to start a war or anything, but what is this supposed to gain you? Seems like running an existing MIPS BSD or Linux port would accomplish pretty much the same thing, plus you'd actually gain new capabilities like USB block device support.

Stripping IRIX of its userland and plugging in xorg isn't some magic bullet - you'll still have xorg graphics drivers to worry about.

All Rights Reserved.
Quote:
Anything is possible. You could even make a replica of a 1964 Ford Fairlane out of cowshit if you really wanted to

tee hee

I had visions of Toyota engineers looking at suitable material for a brake pedal!!!

hmm
steel...no, too expensive
cowshit - yes, cheap, easy to machine and very green!!!

:ChallengeL: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :O2000R: :O2000R: :O2000E: :O2000E: :Onyx2R: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :0300: :0300: :0300: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel: