SGI: Computer Graphics

The True Future Of Blender On IRIX, By Ton Roosendaal - Page 3

Sir Louis wrote:
I can't agree on that with you!

Sadly, he's right. A good AMD system running XP64 can now pull this off:

Well, I think I must put clearest the idea, because I can see that both, you and he, are confussing it. Let's try it:

...Sure, PeeCee(s) are pretty powerful on this days, but also a lot lower quality beasts. PeeCee(s) are pretty cheaper boxes on this days, but also a lot lower quality beasts. PeeCee(s) are pretty comfortable on this days, but also a lot lower quality beasts... but I really can't see on this such a good excuse to drop the IRIX support on every app.

So, if some people chooses SGI, SUN, or Apple instead of PeeCee(s), no matter if we talk about vintage boxes or the more recent ones... then it is not a good reason to keep alive all those software applications giving life to all those alternative hard/soft platforms?
Putting the thing even clearest: I'm trying to help to keep useful for every day work the IRIX/MIPS platform, because I'm an everyday user of it; so, I think my call was dedicated escentially to all those folks with the same feel.

I know that at some point I'll buy a newer workstation, probably a Prism Deskside (maybe I could take these recent offer from SGI for developers); and I already use a couple PeeCee(s) as server boxes. Or maybe I'll buy instead any "good PeeCee workstation" (if these term can be really applied to a PeeCee) Opteron/Athlon64 based... I don't know...
...but it really does not matters here; I'll keep using also IRIX/MIPS boxes on my office, and it is only because:

I like them!
GeneratriX wrote: I like them!

He will not eat green eggs and ham, like them, like them, Sam I am!

You really can't put a price on good stuff! :wink:
skywriter wrote:
GeneratriX wrote: I like them!

He will not eat green eggs and ham, like them, like them, Sam I am!

You really can't put a price on good stuff! :wink:

Don't know about a price and everyone claims that Windows is now wonderful, but this stewpid (IBM Intellistation, no slouch for a peecee) box just froze up and lost a half hour's work. My slowish Fewel *very* seldom does that. The price was what it cost plus the hassles of not having USB or firewire and PTC dropping further developments so I'm locked forever at WF-2 but ... well .... I'm still using it and probably will be until I give up and change to Sun. If wishes were horses beggars would ride, but if SGI hadn't pissed away most of their energies on stewpidity they could still have a fairly competitive workstation to offer. Smaller marketspace for sure but their stock wouldn't be selling for forty-one cents if they were a viable company.
hamei wrote: If wishes were horses beggars would ride

if apples had teeth, they'd bite back.
GCC constantly crashes when doing -mips4 builds so that goes out the window.