SGI: Computer Graphics

Lightwave 5.6 oddities... - Page 2

Excuse me, why the Demo version has the load option enabled (with NewTek's fsel) in IRIX 6.5 ?

The Demo perhaps is not the problem. Is it possible to send me the source (and the command for the compilation) to do it on my Mips3 processor, to check it if it works. Lightwave designed for Mips3 processors too, and it would be nice to run properly to newer Irix versions.
dir_marillion wrote:
Excuse me, why the Demo version has the load option enabled (with NewTek's fsel) in IRIX 6.5 ?

The Demo perhaps is not the problem.

The demo version can load but not save.
mia wrote:
The demo version can load but not save.

Regardless that fsel isn't gonna work if it's mips4 (and it is) :)

All Rights Reserved.
No problem with the save at this point, the load matters. Actually Lightwave tries to do something at "load" (CPU forces to do something) but fails.
dir_marillion wrote:
No problem with the save at this point, the load matters. Actually Lightwave tries to do something at "load" (CPU forces to do something but fails).

I'm not sure what's going on, do you need a mips-3 version of fsel, is that what you're asking for?
Yes, If you could compile (for Mips3), it would be nice, to check it if this fsel works to my R4400.

And of course you could give our R4xxx a new life :D

Then I will inform you for the news. I think that Mips3 version should work nice to Mips4 processors, so you can keep this version for use with R4xxx processors and up.
dir_marillion wrote:
Yes, If you could compile (for Mips3), it would be nice, to check it if this fsel works to my R4400.

And of course you could give our R4xxx a new life :D

Then I will inform you for the news. I think that Mips3 version should work nice to Mips4 processors, so you can keep this version for use with R4xxx processors and up.

I have no clue if I still have the source code for this thing, I really don't know, I'd imagine I didn't keep it as it was only 200 lines long or so.
Ok mia, no problem, as you had made changes to the code of fsel, do you remember with which file you had opened the file fsel ? (I mean with a text editor or with a decompiler ?).

Is fsel Newtek's part of Lightwave or it is an external file selector that can be replaced by an other file selector ?

(It's unbelievable that I cannot make use of Lightwave due to the file selector :lol: )
dir_marillion wrote:
Ok mia, no problem, as you had made changes to the code of fsel, do you remember with which file you had opened the file fsel ? (I mean with a text editor or with a decompiler ?).

Is fsel Newtek's part of Lightwave or it is an external file selector that can be replaced by an other file selector ?

(It's unbelievable that I cannot make use of Lightwave due to the file selector :lol: )

Wow, I really don't remember, I think I took the original version of fsel, I looked at it and rewrote a new version of it that works, but I forgot what I had to change to make it work. In any case the first thing you need to do is to get the full version of lightwave, then I should eventually be able to rewrite fsel for you, I'll have to take a look at it, but last time took me no more than 2 minutes so it has to be some obvious thing, although I don't remember what at the top of my head.
Hello Mia,
I bought my Indigo2 from a second hand and has the Lightwave pack installed (also it has the .tar distribution in a program folder). This version were working ok with it's licence, but the seller removed it for obvious reasons. So, the Lightwave 5.6 returned to demo version. Would you like to send you by email a specific file from the .tar distribution ?
I fixed the mips4 problem; here's a new fsel for you to try:

http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/downloads/nekon ... sel.tar.gz

But just for the record, my mips3 Indigo running IRIX 6.5.22 seems to work just fine with the stock Newtek fsel.

All Rights Reserved.
Great job nekonoko,

Maybe is not the correct place to write my opinion for your forum, but it is the best I ever used. I am newbie to SGI scene with an Indigo2 R4400/250 and I am coming from Atari and Amiga scene. I have checked a lot of forums in the past. Simply, this one works and helps.
Thank you, thank you, thank you !!

Now, lightwave 5.6 can work perfect with probably all Mips3 processors. I have already started do rendering. I do not have idea how fast are the new SGI processors, but my R4400 seems work at a great workable speed (with the programs of it's decaety and more recent). I have checked lightwave 5 in a P4 3.xGHz (the PC of my job) with a super graphics card, but has not nuch difference in use. Of course P4 is faster but SPACEFIGHTERS scene at 67th frame (640x480) with low antialiasing took 18 seconds to my Indigo and in the P4 it took 5 seconds (I noticed that in higher Antialising modes the difference is lower -who knows maybe Solid Impact does the job-).
To my old Amiga with a processor 68030/50Mhz with FPU this frame took 4.5 min :shock:
nekonoko wrote:
I fixed the mips4 problem; here's a new fsel for you to try:

http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/downloads/ ... sel.tar.gz

But just for the record, my mips3 Indigo running IRIX 6.5.22 seems to work just fine with the stock Newtek fsel.

I hate to bring up an old thread, but I'm having the same problems with my Lightwave demo too on my R4400 Indigo2 machine. Is there a chance that this fsel file still exists Nekonoko? Or maybe anyone else has a mips3 version of the fsel laying around?

Thanks

/Jonas

-----------------
Old polygon wrangler

World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote:

Wow.... 8-) Thanks a lot.

EDIT:

And now it works. :)

END EDIT

/Jonas

-----------------