SGI: Computer Graphics

Lightwave 5.6 oddities... - Page 1

dexter1 wrote:
Be careful when downgrading IRIX. Older pre 6.5.16 versions have no knowledge of XFS version 2 filesystems and try to treat them as version 1 which fails. There is no tool for converting version 2 to version 1 XFS. Been there, done that.
Best thing to do is to reinstall 6.5.9 on a separate disk and try to copy the relevant files to a NFS mount or transfer them to CD...

Xfs version2 comes standard in the 6.5.6 timeframe or so.

regards
Joerg
dexter1 wrote:
Best thing to do is to reinstall 6.5.9 on a separate disk and try to copy the relevant files to a NFS mount or transfer them to CD...

Actually, I'd need to put a fresh install on a disk anyway, since the old disk is long gone (and, I guess, get some RAM for it. I'm apparently fresh out of 72-pin+parity SIMMs).

Lightwave 5.6 was only licensed for the Indigo2 here, so I don't anticipate any issues getting it up and running again under 6.5.9.

(Or. Huh. Suddenly I'm less certain about that. Was it 6.5.9, or 6.2 I was using?)

LW 5.6 works fine on IRIX 6.5.22, so looks like something has changed in one of the later versions...

Nik
nvukovlj wrote:
LW 5.6 works fine on IRIX 6.5.22

Is there any chance that you could strace the process, and get us a copy of the /tmp/fsel.result file output by the File Selector?
Can you give me the parameters that you have used (and on what process) in order that I recreate the same environment ?

Nik.
nvukovlj wrote:
Can you give me the parameters that you have used (and on what process) in order that I recreate the same environment ?

strace is available from http://freeware.sgi.com/ , and I ran:
Code:
strace -vvfFtTs 1024 -o /usr/tmp/LW.strace /usr/lightwave/bin/LW

... and then immediately selected Load, Save, or Save As from the File menu. The output file can then be searched for instances of "fsel".

In terms of the file in /tmp/, perhaps the best way to grab it is to write a quick script or program to output its contents whenever it changes - perhaps "tail -F /tmp/fsel.result"?
stuart wrote:
nvukovlj wrote:

strace is available from http://freeware.sgi.com/ , and I ran:
Code:
strace -vvfFtTs 1024 -o /usr/tmp/LW.strace /usr/lightwave/bin/LW

... and then immediately selected Load, Save, or Save As from the File menu. The output file can then be searched for instances of "fsel".

In terms of the file in /tmp/, perhaps the best way to grab it is to write a quick script or program to output its contents whenever it changes - perhaps "tail -F /tmp/fsel.result"?

FAM!

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... 266-PARENT

it's just fun to think that linux just got inotify (it's not even in vanilla yet, it's still a kernel patch at this point), while irix had FAM for half a decade...

Oh, but of course only Ghz matters these days... heh.

Mia.
Oh, I see what the issue is, it should be fairly easy to replace fsel with
another file selection box. Please do me a favor and try this:

1) backup your original fsel (which should be located in /usr/lightwave/Bin
(as root) cd /usr/lightwave/Bin ; mv fsel fsel.orig (for example)

2) download the fsel replacement: http://www.eskimo.com/~jibanes/fsel

3) copy the fsel replacement where it belongs
(as root) cp fsel /usr/lightwave/Bin/fsel

4) chmod it to 755
(as root) chmod 755 /usr/lightwave/Bin/fsel

5) make sure /usr/lightwave/Bin is in your PATH
(for example with bourne shells: export PATH=$PATH:/usr/lightwave/Bin
with c-shells setenv PATH $PATH:/usr/lightwave/Bin ... or something
similar)

When you want to load a file, just select load in Lightwave, then click on the
button, and pick your file, do the same to save, it works for me with 6.5.27
and lightwave 5.6. Please let me know if you have issues with it. Good luck.
Thank's Mia, now LW 5.6 works propely under my Irix 6.5.24f.
One more thank you for link to new version of "fsel" :lol: !!
Regards,
Piccard
J.L.Piccard wrote:
Thank's Mia, now LW 5.6 works propely under my Irix 6.5.24f.
One more thank you for link to new version of "fsel" :lol: !!
Regards,
Piccard

Thanks, I coded it myself, a 2 minutes job, which explains why it's so ugly. I can't promise I would do a nicer version since I'm really too busy these days... maybe if I can find the time someday. I'm glad it worked for you tho.
mia, you know SGI have donated FAM to Linux, right?

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam

:)
lewis wrote:
mia, you know SGI have donated FAM to Linux, right?

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam

:)

Woa, that's big, I didn't know.
mia wrote:
Thanks, I coded it myself, a 2 minutes job, which explains why it's so ugly. I can't promise I would do a nicer version since I'm really too busy these days... maybe if I can find the time someday. I'm glad it worked for you tho.

Could you post your source?
stuart wrote:
mia wrote:

Could you post your source?

Oh, I would need to clean it first, it's really nasty in there, I really did it fast.
mia wrote:
Oh, I would need to clean it first, it's really nasty in there, I really did it fast.

Don't feel you have to clean it up - all I really want to see are the bare bones of what fsel receives from LW, and what it outputs. That, and any hint in the construction the UI would be interesting too...
Hello, Mips3 R4400 here, Irix 6.5.22 and the new fsel does not work with Lightwave 5.6. I have followed the instructions as well.
Still not load or save. Do I need to do something else ?
Several people reported success, so I think you've done something wrong.

Mia
I installed Lightwave demo, then I replaced fsel (I backup-ed the original). I made the chmod and I run the command SETUPLW, I loged-out and then csh and my lightwave still has not save (of course it is the demo version still) or load. To be honest, I formatted my hard disk last week, in which lightwave had not also save/load. I thought that it could help, but nothing.

I believe that maybe the problem is that I use 6.5.22 on a R4400/250 which is mips3 processor and maybe the fsel compiled for mips4 processors... or the 6.5.22 has differences from under versions, but I do not have other original IRIX CDs, only 6.5.22.

May I do any changes to fsel, and with which program do you changed it ...?
dir_marillion wrote:
I installed Lightwave demo, then I replaced fsel (I backup-ed the original). I made the chmod and I run the command SETUPLW, I loged-out and then csh and my lightwave still has not save (of course it is the demo version still) or load. To be honest, I formatted my hard disk last week, in which lightwave had not also save/load. I thought that it could help, but nothing.

I beleive that maybe the problem is that I use 6.5.22 on a R4400/250 which is mips3 processor and maybe the fsel compiled for mips4 processors... or the 6.5.22 has differences from under versions, but I do not have other original IRIX CDs, only 6.5.22.

May I do any changes to fsel, and with which program ?

I forgot to mention this is for the FULL version, not the demo one.
Yes, it does look like this is mips4 which is of course an issue:

Code:
[Ryouko:~] neko 154# file fsel
fsel:           ELF N32 MSB mips-4 dynamic executable (not stripped) MIPS - version 1

All Rights Reserved.