SGI: Computer Graphics

Jurassic Park - Page 1

Hello.
I noticed on Ebay some one was selling an Iris Indigo.
They stated that it was used to make Jurassic Park.
Does anyone know how it was done or used?
from https://design.osu.edu/carlson/history/ ... tware.html :

In 1993 Alias started the development of a new entertainment software, later known as Maya which would become the industries most important animation tool. Steven Spielberg chose Industrial Light & Magic to provide the visual effects in 1993's Jurassic Park. In turn the animators at ILM picked PowerAnimator as the software of choice to model the huge prehistoric beasts. They delivered the very real looking dinosaurs with PowerAnimator and reaped the Oscar for Best Visual Effects.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
The Jurassic World previews have no SGIs in them and therefore the movie will suck.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ClassicHasClass wrote: The Jurassic World previews have no SGIs in them and therefore the movie will suck.

Just did a quick check at imdb and unless I missed something (entierly possible) it looks like BD Wong and Alan Purwin (the helicopter pilot) are the only performers reprising their roles from the original movie...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
In 1993 Alias started the development of a new entertainment software, later known as Maya which would become the industries most important animation tool. Steven Spielberg chose Industrial Light & Magic to provide the visual effects in 1993's Jurassic Park. In turn the animators at ILM picked PowerAnimator as the software of choice to model the huge prehistoric beasts. They delivered the very real looking dinosaurs with PowerAnimator and reaped the Oscar for Best Visual Effects.

This is from a university web page ? Can any of these dipshits speak English ? I'd have got a 'D' and about thirty red pencil corrections for this in junior high school.

Aaah. "Dr. Wayne Carlson is the Vice Provost and Dean of Undergraduates" .. people actually waste their hard-borrowed money on a degree from this so-called university ? This buffoon can't write even one complete sentence in English. He isn't qualified to be a dog-catcher. No wonder the US is sinking into a puddle of its own vomitous slime.
hamei wrote:

This is from a university web page ? Can any of these dipshits speak English ? I'd have got a 'D' and about thirty red pencil corrections for this in junior high school.

Aaah. "Dr. Wayne Carlson is the Vice Provost and Dean of Undergraduates" .. people actually waste their hard-borrowed money on a degree from this so-called university ? This buffoon can't write even one complete sentence in English. He isn't qualified to be a dog-catcher. No wonder the US is sinking into a puddle of its own vomitous slime.

Actually he didn't write that, it says at the top of the page he cribbed it from the Alias website history section... :shock:
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: it says at the top of the page he cribbed it from the Alias website history section. ...

"Cribbed" ? As in, plagiarised ? So now the worthless dipshit not only can't write, but he's also a thief ?

Nice. Real nice.

followup : looked at several pages of his own writing. He's a Class III Buffoon. I'd flunk him out of a first-year remedial English course. Run-on sentences, his punctuation sucks, his statements are frequently horseshit -- how can a building be an "innovator" ? (gag), adjectives and nouns don't match .... what a twit. This is what is teaching in universities now ? Great. Just great. You'd be better off buying a phony diploma than wasting your money on this crap.
Interesting.
a bit more info that's actually on topic :P

as it happened often in the 90s the cgi parts of jurassic park were a mix of alias and softimage. the classic labor division was alias for the models and softimage for animation and jurassic park was no different. here're some pics and videos:

http://xsisupport.com/2011/12/02/
http://uk.businessinsider.com/jurassic- ... er%29?r=US
http://i1.wp.com/www.cgmeetup.net/home/ ... =960%2C606

further attached a zip with two highres shots of alias/2 with the t-rex model
r-a-c.de
We are really looking forward to the new JP... it is going to be sweet. :)
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
guardian452 wrote: We are really looking forward to the new JP... it is going to be sweet. :)

I dunno ... without Jeff Goldblum, how can you sit in the audience squeaking, "help me ! help me !" ? :P
guardian452 wrote: We are really looking forward to the new JP... it is going to be sweet. :)

we?
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: we?

sybr is now part of a larger social unit :P
hamei wrote: sybr is now part of a larger social unit :P

oh i see :D
r-a-c.de
gosh.. what a whining lot you are..

what about the Ebay auction, was it an Indigo proven to have been used for Jurassic Park CGI, or was it "just like one..." ?
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se
hamei wrote:
foetz wrote: we?

sybr is now part of a larger social unit :P

We're counting voices in the head now?

Let me introduce you to my five roommates.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Pontus wrote: gosh.. what a whining lot you are..

Us? So you're not one of us now? ;)

Pontus wrote: what about the Ebay auction, was it an Indigo proven to have been used for Jurassic Park CGI, or was it "just like one..." ?

Gotta say I looked on ebay right after the OP and could not find said auction. Thought that was a bit strange... :shock:
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote:

Well! I'm... Uhm.. it's actual... OK! I'm a whiny internet forum poster as well :)
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se
Pontus wrote:
vishnu wrote:

Well! I'm... Uhm.. it's actual... OK! I'm a whiny internet forum poster as well :)

At my place of employ we call it BMWC, bitch moan whine and complain... :lol:
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote:
Pontus wrote:
vishnu wrote:

At my place of employ we call it BMWC, bitch moan whine and complain... :lol:

"BMWC", gotta borrow this! :lol:
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box