SGI: Computer Graphics

I Want This !

Been looking for something like this forever, finally found it in a Loonix app but seems like way too much trouble to build (tons of other weirdness in the program, it's called Shotwell and seems to be written in some high-level Martian language.)

shotwell.jpg
shotwell.jpg (37.41 KiB) Viewed 676 times

Cropping to a defined size is such a pita but this be da way to do it ! In case you haven't guessed, the semi-opaque window is the predetermined size you want for the crop, which you drag around until it's where you like then clickety-clack. No, I do not want to put black lines on the photo then drag them around while watching the size display at the top of the screen, thank you very much. That's stewpid.

What other programs are available with this feature but hopefully more conducive to an Irix build ?
he said a girl named Patches was found ...
Darktable seems to do it, and there are solaris and freebsd packages - not looked at the source though, so it might have a few things which Irix will bork at.
:Octane2: Octane2 Dual R14K 600Mhz, 4GB RAM, VPro V12, DCD, PCI Card Cage, GBit Ethernet
:Indigo2IMP: Indigo2 R10K 195MHz, 1GB RAM, Maximum Impact, I2V
The boxen are breeding... help!
Stoo wrote: Darktable

Requires cmake. No, thanks.
digikam (look out for lots of KDE dependencies) and nomacs should both have this feature as well.
I dunno about Photoshop for IRIX, but Photoshop 7 at least has a "fixed size" mode for its rectangular selection tool that can do this, as well as a "fixed aspect ratio" mode. Quite handy.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
commodorejohn wrote: I dunno about Photoshop for IRIX, but Photoshop 7 at least has a "fixed size" mode for its rectangular selection tool that can do this, as well as a "fixed aspect ratio" mode. Quite handy.

9 does also but I can't check my Irix Pshop, it went south for winter :( And Eclipse won't run either :( :( We're having a major malfunction here on the grafix front.

Thanks all for the other suggestions, maybe one of them can be induced to build on Irix. It's such a simple but useful feature ...
I don't know, neko_gimp perhaps?
:Octane: halo , oct ane
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
Ah, for some reason I thought Hamei was looking for one with the rule of thirds/golden ratio overlay :)
:Octane2: Octane2 Dual R14K 600Mhz, 4GB RAM, VPro V12, DCD, PCI Card Cage, GBit Ethernet
:Indigo2IMP: Indigo2 R10K 195MHz, 1GB RAM, Maximum Impact, I2V
The boxen are breeding... help!
hamei wrote: Cropping to a defined size is such a pita
What other programs are available with this feature but hopefully more conducive to an Irix build ?

gimp can do it. also the 1.x versions if you wanna avoid the gtk2 bloat.
and not to forget irix' very own ImageWORKS. it doesn't keep the fixed size but you can crop/expand by numbers
r-a-c.de
duck wrote: I don't know, neko_gimp perhaps?

Oooh ! ooh ! ooh ! Thanks, Muldoon ! this is the easiest ... I've avoided installing gimp in the past, too many requirements but nice if it will do this. Thank you.

Stoo wrote: Ah, for some reason I thought Hamei was looking for one with the rule of thirds/golden ratio overlay :)

It wasn't a prerequisite but it could be handy. Mostly I just wanted a fixed size so that photos don't get butchered by the resizing process. The window thing is nice because it gives you a better idea of what the finished photo will look like. The thirds-window is not a bad idea but you'd want to be able to turn it on and off, I think. The semi-opaque thing isn't too bad either, altho the gimp's brightness system looks good too.

foetz wrote: gimp can do it. also the 1.x versions if you wanna avoid the gtk2 bloat.

Even better idea .. in fact, I think I've seen mention of earlier Motif versions ... hmmm :D Light and basic would be good.

All I'm using this for is real early in the brochure process I choose the photos I want, size them, then send over to the Assist for artistic embellishment. Pulling the crops at a 1:1 ratio avoids the fuzziness you get from resizing and you can make a series of photos all the same size easily. Even the Shotwell thingy could be improved maybe by having a really wide border on the crop window so you'd get a better idea of the finished result.

not to forget irix' very own ImageWORKS. it doesn't keep the fixed size but you can crop/expand by numbers

Mostly been using imgview but the crop-by-numbers thingy is sort of a pita. Have also found that Pho is great for running through a batch of fresh photos and ditching the bad ones. Next -> next -> next crashes image/graphics magick, imgview won't do it. It's a nice feature of Irfanview, used to make me jealous.

But we take what we can get :D Thank you all, maybe by the time I die I'll have this figured out.
hamei wrote: Oooh ! ooh ! ooh ! Thanks, Muldoon !

Ha ha wait, how about this: It's about time, it's about space, it's about time I punched your face!

On topic again, I think you'll find the automatic color correction in the GIMP to be worth the price of entry, been using it for years to correct the crap color that comes out of multi-megabucks digital SLRs...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
hamei wrote: Even better idea .. in fact, I think I've seen mention of earlier Motif versions ... hmmm :D Light and basic would be good.

gtk1 is light and not even too basic :-)
last motif based version was 0.54. you made me curious now so i'll give it a try :D

EDIT: did so (see my 5.3 packages) but it's not what you have in mind. the crop dimensions are just shown based on what you select but you can't enter them yourself. so a late gimp 1.x is probably the best call
r-a-c.de