SGI: Computer Graphics

I have an O2 with Discreet stuff on it, but what?

I started an O2 that has been in my alternates pile for some time. It had all the original stuff other than a CPU module I had to swap (was bad).

The rig has an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card in the PCI slot and looks for an external drive array I didn't get with the machine.

The login screen comes up with Backdraft and Effect as selectable options. No passwords on any of them.

I don't know a single thing about Discreet stuff on SGI hardware so how can I tell what all I've got?

Octane 2xR12K-300, 1.5GB, 36GB 10K, 73GB 10K, V8
Indigo2 195MHz, 1GB, 36GB, SI
Try logging in as Effect and running "effect" - chances are you're not going to get anything working, though, sadly. I think all the versions of Effect that ran on O2 required a dongle in addition to being node-locked by flexlm and requiring a Stone array, and it sounds like you've only got 1/3 of that setup.

I may be incorrect about the dongle, though - I'm only really familiar with newer Discreet software (Flame, Smoke) on newer hardware, having never owned an O2 myself.

Actually, from my experience, effect on O2 requires neither a dongle nor a Stone array. Assuming that you've got a valid license on the O2, effect should start, and it can be reconfigured to run off the internal HDD.

The license should be located in /usr/local/flexlm/licenses/DL_license.dat. The first thing you should do is make a backup copy to another computer, as well as any licenses in /var/flexlm.
Well, I started it up and gave it a shot. Seems there's supposed to be a dongle after all.

Hm... I've used effect 7.1 without a dongle on several O2 systems, perhaps they nixed the dongle in 7.x versions.
It appears to be trying to mount a bunch of NFS shares too, obviously of other IFFFS suites/systems.

It would seem there's no value in keeping the Discreet software on there in this form.

MisterDNA wrote:
So I guess I'm clear to wipe the drive and reload standard IRIX for resale of the machine, then?

It would seem there's no value in keeping the Discreet software on there in this form.

Drives are cheap. I'd pull the DIscreet drive and set it aside just in case something came along later ...
Quote:
Drives are cheap. I'd pull the DIscreet drive and set it aside just in case something came along later ...
Absolutely! There's about a bazillion dollars worth of Discreet software on that disk... :shock:
Quote:
There's about a bazillion dollars worth of Discreet software on that disk...

I agree

Version 7 does require a Dongle, But you don't require a stone array from Discreet.....You can run the raid as an XLV. I have this option running for my copy of version 7.

Timberoz>Craig