SGI: Computer Graphics

...How To Clean Up CAD Blue-Prints To Print Out? - Page 4

GeneratriX wrote:
theinonen wrote:
Some wise man once said if you can not make them just fake them. Below is a quick example to demonstrate adding lighteffects later. (Image used is the iconic ArtWorks/Xara Midget.)

And it looks great! ...anyways, no RISC OS around to try the apps your using.

That's no excuse! :-) I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave earlier (as the English say in Parliament!) http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16720269&start=60#p7350448 but appreciate that setting it all up from scratch just to play with a couple of apps could be too great a demand on your time - would you like a ready-set up installation as a single zip/tar file to try out? You won't have Artworks that way, but there is Openvector as a free RISC OS drawing package and Draw/Paint come by default.

Touché!

But yes, as you pointed up very well, I'm not too active in Nekochan since a good chunk of time... so... memory fails! :)

ajw99uk wrote:
but appreciate that setting it all up from scratch just to play with a couple of apps could be too great a demand on your time - would you like a ready-set up installation as a single zip/tar file to try out? You won't have Artworks that way, but there is Openvector as a free RISC OS drawing package and Draw/Paint come by default.

Sounds like a very kind offer, and I could not say I'm not tempted to try it... so... what can I say. But please, only do it if such kind of task does not involves too much hassle from you... or if you already got the disk image uploaded to some place, etc... in that case I would be interested, but since I don't have any experience with RISC OS I don't want to bug you i.e.: if it means time to arrange it. Really.

I've emulated MAC OS vía QEMU in the past, and things like that... so, I know what you mean.

So, talking about it... looks to me like RISC OS has a lot of activity lately? I know the Raspberry Pi and some other SBC's entered into the scene and it is well supported.

All the best,
Diego

Octane / Dual Head

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
GeneratriX wrote:
ajw99uk wrote:
would you like a ready-set up installation as a single zip/tar file to try out?

Sounds like a very kind offer, and I could not say I'm not tempted to try it... so... what can I say. But please, only do it if such kind of task does not involves too much hassle from you... or if you already got the disk image uploaded to some place, etc... in that case I would be interested, but since I don't have any experience with RISC OS I don't want to bug you i.e.: if it means time to arrange it. Really.

I'm on holiday next week but will have wifi so a decent chance it will get done as relaxation. I'll see how small a file can give you a meaningful system, as I've nowhere to host it for download/FTP at the moment (the downside of a budget broadband deal!). I do have a zipped installation for Windows but at 270MB I don't fancy emailing it! (that's for OS plus lots of additional software - the absolute minimum is 4MB ROM image plus <1MB for the emulator itself).

I forgot to ask which OS would be hosting the emulator for you - Windows or Linux? The RISC OS part is the same, which would be the bulk of the package.

GeneratriX wrote:
So, talking about it... looks to me like RISC OS has a lot of activity lately? I know the Raspberry Pi and some other SBC's entered into the scene and it is well supported.
Yes, it got a revival when ports came out for various ARM SBCs, and the Pi has really helped in having such low cost hardware (and easy connection to a TV, so no monitor cost in many cases) to try it out.

ajw99uk wrote:
I'm on holiday next week but will have wifi so a decent chance it will get done as relaxation. I'll see how small a file can give you a meaningful system, as I've nowhere to host it for download/FTP at the moment (the downside of a budget broadband deal!).

No problem, and thanks in advance. I can setup an FTP account for you, with enough room into some web hosting service I'm actually paying for.

ajw99uk wrote:
I do have a zipped installation for Windows but at 270MB I don't fancy emailing it! (that's for OS plus lots of additional software - the absolute minimum is 4MB ROM image plus <1MB for the emulator itself).

Sure, take your time. Just let me know if I can help in any way.

ajw99uk wrote:
I forgot to ask which OS would be hosting the emulator for you - Windows or Linux? The RISC OS part is the same, which would be the bulk of the package.

I actually using mostly Linux but also Irix.

Linux: more exactly Ubuntu, and I'm pretty happy with it; seems to me a very comfortable system... though I reckon it demands some punchs here and there to persuade it to work as intended... bit let's be honest: Irix too! :)

ajw99uk wrote:
Yes, it got a revival when ports came out for various ARM SBCs, and the Pi has really helped in having such low cost hardware (and easy connection to a TV, so no monitor cost in many cases) to try it out.

The SBC's are way interesting, but I'm not using them yet... let's say the closest thing to an SBC I own for daily use is a USB BitScope; another interesting gadget if you ask. In fact, since there are ( Open Source / Open Hardware ) sourcecodes and diagrams for an RS-232 version, sounds like the perfect tool to port to Irix! ...but oh well, time is never enough!

Octane / Dual Head

FTP access would be useful, thanks. Then perhaps other interested Nekochanners could download it, if you have bandwidth?

I had a spare hour this evening and found I allready had the main components on this laptop, so put togther a stripped down installation (no printing, not many fonts, but OpenVector, OpenGrid, Pipedream4 and Fireworkz to try out) which zips to 8MB.

This includes two Linux binaries, two Win32 EXE files (one each for dynamic recompiler and interpreter versions) and the allegro42 DLL for Win32 - but you will need the allegro package installed in Ubuntu. The Linux binaries were compiled for a Puppy distribution, so are likely to be configured for wide compatibility rather than optimal performance.

Once unzipped, you'll have a directory "RPCemu" containing "rpcemu", which should be made executable and executed. The config files and RISC OS itself all sit within the RPCemu directory, so no paths to set. If it does not work, there is source code at http://www.marutan.net/rpcemu/#downloads which I found to compile without problem once I had the dependencies/tools set up, and info at http://www.marutan.net/rpcemu/linuxcompile.html - just be careful not to overwrite the config files!

Once running, it's configured for StrongARM CPU, 128MB RAM and a 1280x720 screen, which fits nicely in my 1366x768 laptop screen, but there is a good choice of screen modes available in the "generic" monitor definition file. I have not set up networking, as it needs some host components and bridging, but the driver you need "EtherRPC" is in the right place in system resources. Instructions at http://www.marutan.net/rpcemu/manual/network.html though success with version 5.1x of the OS seems patchy.

We really should move this discussion to the "Misc OS" section!

I had a spare hour this evening and found I allready had the main components on this laptop, so put togther a stripped down installation (no printing, not many fonts, but OpenVector, OpenGrid, Pipedream4 and Fireworkz to try out) which zips to 8MB.

Thank you in advance! I'll let you know the parameters as soon the FTP account is ready. Then I can make it public, so other members can download from there too.

ajw99uk wrote:
We really should move this discussion to the "Misc OS" section!

If moderators agree with us, a new thread centered into this subject seems to me the best option!

Octane / Dual Head

Mathematics is one of the rare things I have found useful after school. Specially geometry/trigonometry have some uses in real life.

I was thinking of a way to make accurate teething around circle without cheating like I have done before. Luckily in ProCAD+ you only have to know the number of teeth and r of the circle to get something like that done. Then just move reference point of teeth at the amount of r and copy it around the reference point with number of teeths wanted.

Easy and 100% accurate
theinonen wrote:
Easy and 100% accurate

Looks good but ... errrrmm ... accurate ? I'm wondering what the heck they are doing ?

Easy and 100% accurate

Looks good but ... errrrmm ... accurate ? I'm wondering what the heck they are doing ?

With accurate I mean only the placement and amount of tooth, so no need to fill the gaps later manually. (Teeths itself around the circle do not withstand closer inspection as they are loaned from real gearsymbol just slightly modified. Yes, I confess I am too lazy. )
theinonen wrote:
(Teeths itself around the circle do not withstand closer inspection as they are loaned from real gearsymbol just slightly modified. Yes, I confess I am too lazy. )

Ah, okay. 'cuz those teeth are just for decoration, don't try to use them for anything :D

Shape of gear seems pretty complicated, so better for everyone if I just stick to drawing decorations.

Does Pro/E do things like that automatically, or is there still some creative thinking required?
theinonen wrote:
Does Pro/E do things like that automatically, or is there still some creative thinking required?

There are tutorials on "How to Draw Gear Teeth" in Pro/e but they aren't correct there, either. You can get the tooth shape pretty close but the roots are never right. The roots are the really complicated parts. On a hobbed gear they are not too bad but a shaped gear has trochoidal fillets, way over my head math-wise.

As long as people recognize that CAD gear teeth are just decorative it's okay. It's when they start to think that these are real teeth that I could see problems arising. There is some specialized software that generates the correct shapes but it's not cheap. I guess (hope ?) that no one is going to be using consumer-grade cad programs to design gears for elevators, so we should be okay. But you never know :(

Real gear drawings never have teeth on them. They would be useless for making real parts. I don't know what good they do on CAD drawings either, except use up a lot of cpu cycles. Okay, they look cool :D

Attachment:
uncad.jpg
uncad.jpg [ 380.2 KiB | Viewed 122 times ]

Hobbing gears at my place of employ, back in the days when the "C" part of "CAD" was the guy's brain, and the I/0 device was his pencil. This was a wartime gear, probably for a Bofors 40mm quad AA, which we made under license. Not anymore though, nowadays we own Bofors:

World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote:
Hobbing gears at my place of employ, back in the days when the "C" part of "CAD" was the guy's brain, and the I/0 device was his pencil.

Wonderful picture, a real piece of history.

Octane / Dual Head

vishnu wrote:
Hobbing gears at my place of employ, back in the days when the "C" part of "CAD" was the guy's brain, and the I/0 device was his pencil.

That's a spiffy photo. I love the lunchbox and the real tattoos. I'd guess the machinist was ex-Navy. He's actually using a drill head with a right-hand-cutting, left-hand-helix tapered reamer to taper ream those radial holes. Hard to tell but it looks like either the part is on a fixture sitting on an indexing table on top of a horizontal boring mill, or the drill head is mounted to the indexing table. More likely # 2. Notice the blue work shirt, no fucking clipboard, no fucking safety glasses, no gloves so we don't hurt our pretty widdow hands. Also the big lock on the toolbox and ... what's that molotov cocktail doing on the bench ? :D

It's a staged photo tho - cutter is not turning and no way that apron would stay that clean. I don't think those are gear teeth either - they look more like some sort of coupling ? Have you got a print to that, vish ? And are you sure this is from the 40's ? Did they have paper cups with the foldout handles then ?

When men were men ... wasn't it grand ?

I have thousands of these pictures, back in those days the boiler plate on our letterhead said (among other things) "the finest machine shop on the globe." Here's the text associated with the picture, and yes the 1942 date is accurate and we did have that paper cup technology (picture attached), and I think the molotov cocktail is just an oil can!

"The gear is assembled with the stand and drilled and reamed for the securing taper bolts used. The drilling is accomplished by an electro-hydraulic horizontal drill unit mounted on a rotary table; the stand and gear assembly being secured and supported by a stationary fixture."

A bit terse but when you know as much about machining as hamei you can read between the lines! :P

vishnu wrote:
I have thousands of these pictures,

More ! More ! Very cool (imo, at least).
Quote:
yes the 1942 date is accurate and we did have that paper cup technology

Interesting .... I thought that was fifties. Look at the printing on the cup, too Definitely WW II vintage :D
Quote:
(picture attached)

If you think the top button buttoned looks dorky, it does, but if you don't button up tight the red-hot chips find their way down the front of your chest, burning their own trail of tears on the way. They also get in your ears and make a sizzling sound. There's nothing like the smell of burning ear in the morning ...

Very painful it is also and that sizzling sound is very scary.

Happened to me once but at least now I know to cover my ears when doing gaswelding in ankward positions.
Well I've only been to the emergency room once due to a stupid-ass maneuver I was trying to do on a lathe, but at the height of WWII when we had 11,500 guys machining parts we averaged one lost-time injury per day. :shock:

Here's a better look at our WWII paper cups:

The banksters caused that war, too. And the one before that. And the one before that.

Are people ever going to learn ?

I'll try to get back on track ... onion, cf the ProCad program in regards to teeth : not so useful even for decorations. In the real world one needs to create 14.5* pressure angle, 20* pa, 22.5* pa would be nice, 25* pa for sure nowadays, and 30* pa for involute splines. One also needs to be able to set the whole depth. There's shaper depth, hob depth, split pitch, pre-grind, pre-shave and splines that I can think of off the top of my head.

Roots should either be flat root or full fillet, need to be able to choose.

I wonder if it will accept non-integer, decimal fractional pitches ? That's common in helical gears.

Circular pitch is an odd inclusion since the only thing that commonly uses circular pitch is wormgears. This program won't draw a wormgear. So what's the point ?

It would be nice if it could draw sprockets - that might actually be useful in the real world because one could make special sprockets on a milling machine with a small end mill. I knew a place making bicycle parts that did that. But it doesn't.

I mean, like too much stuff nowadays, it's kind of neat that you can easily make something that looks like a gear and that would be really nice in Illustrator, for example, but for a cad program, this is really lacking in functionality.

I don't mean to sound like an old grump all the time but sheesh. They went to all the trouble to do half the job. They got the program to where it looked good, then quit. How about making the program really useful ? Not enough proooofit in that ? Or they just don't know what they are doing ?