SGI: Computer Graphics

...How To Clean Up CAD Blue-Prints To Print Out? - Page 5

Actually it is a separate little program just for making gears available from the website of ProCAD+ author. Online manual is here: http://www.dsnell.zynet.co.uk/PS/ProSpur.html

You can use other pressure angles than 14.5 or 20 by editing the parameter file of program and then unticking both radio buttons, it will then use the value in file. You can change values for addendum, dedendum, fillet and some other things also from there.
theinonen wrote:

I just read the manual, yes, you can override the radio button settings, which makes it a lot more useful. There's still some stuff that could cause problems but consdering there might be a thousand total users of Riscos, it's not a bad deal :D

I wonder why he didn't just use entry fields ? That would have made life a lot easier. Or an entry field with a default number that you can override ? That's pretty common, works okay.

(If you get into this, module sucks for gear teeth. It's upside-down and backwards. Diametral pitch feels difficult at first but after you get your mind around it, it makes much more sense than module.)

World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote:
And when you're done machining don't forget to harden the teeth!

Your photo is cooler but since we're talking Irix, made this with the O2 .... induction hardening instead of flame but similar idear .... No, the silly transition in the middle was not my idear. I have bad taste but not that bad ! :shock:
Attachment:
induction_harden.zip [3.51 MiB]
Downloaded 9 times

The biggest lathe in our prototype shop is Chinese, from Hunan. For the most part it's a good lathe but there are a couple of forehead-smackers, for one they did not avail themselves of quick swap chuck technology, which means that half the time you're trying to get the job done with the wrong chuck because you don't want to go through the anguish of swapping in the right one, and for another it's almost impossible to put the thing in neutral! A millimeter off center and she creeps. Very annoying when you've got the chuck key in. And for a third the feeds and speeds placard is seemingly written in Egyptian hieroglyphics... :shock:

vishnu wrote:
That's filmed in your shop?

No, at Taylor-Winfield ...

Quote:
Cool!

Yes, they were. But since they couldn't return 30% per day on borrowed money and they had real assets, they are now just a gravestone to American capabilities.

Quote:
What's the video editor of choice on your fool ? Or your o2...

I just do resizing, then cut and stitch pieces together. A few titles once in a while. Mencoder works pretty well for that kind of thing.

Quote:
for one they did not avail themselves of quick swap chuck technology,

They probably make different models. Does your purchasing agent know how to run a lathe ? :D

Quote:
it's almost impossible to put the thing in neutral! A millimeter off center and she creeps. Very annoying when you've got the chuck key in.

Once upon a time I was doing something on the Monarch when I hear this muffled gurgling clanking noise behind me. We had three Monarchs, my buddy liked the 17" MoriSeiki in the corner. When you hit the go lever it would shit-n-git. The go handle had this weird lockout on it that was a pain so the owner of the shop removed it. You know it's common to have all kinds fof crap sitting on the apron, Morg was tightening the jaws, a box of tool bits on the apron got knocked off, fell down onto the go handle in reverse, grabbed Morg and threw him over the top of the chuck into the chip pan headfirst. Luckily for him the jaws were only sticking out about an eighth inch, so there he was with his head in the chip pan gurgling, the chuck was wacking away at his belt buckle right near the family jewels, tick tick tick, and I was laughing my ass off.

I did turn the lathe off and rescue him.

Don't ever leave the chuck key in the chuck. It is not safe :D

Seriously, I know of another case where a guy had a chuck wrench slammed through his chest. He died. Bad idea to leave the key in, ever.

Quote:
And for a third the feeds and speeds placard is seemingly written in Egyptian hieroglyphics... :shock:

Take a photo, we can probably make you an rtf file that you could print onto some sticky paper to glue over the heiroglyphics. Of course, if we're feeling mischievous that day ..... :P

Seriously, I know of another case where a guy had a chuck wrench slammed through his chest. He died. Bad idea to leave the key in, ever.

Oh yeah I would never leave the chuck key in unattended, that's the road to perdition. I meant when you're trying to tighten or loosen the chuck and the engine slips out of neutral and starts creeping. Fortunately the lever to engage the engine is a throttle rather than an on/off so when it does slip out the chuck just barely starts turning.

vishnu wrote:
hamei wrote:
And for a third the feeds and speeds placard is seemingly written in Egyptian hieroglyphics... :shock:

Take a photo, we can probably make you an rtf file that you could print onto some sticky paper to glue over the heiroglyphics. Of course, if we're feeling mischievous that day ..... :P

Ha ha sadly all I've got is my crappy camera here with me today, it is worse than useless:

vishnu wrote:
Ha ha sadly all I've got is my crappy camera here with me today, it is worse than useless:

I meant a photo of the plate with the feeds and speeds :D

Did you need a little bigger machine, for when you want to put your boss between centers and turn his head to a point ?
Attachment:
sparkey.jpg
sparkey.jpg [ 303.96 KiB | Viewed 76 times ]

I put this here as it looks pretty good for something that was drawn by me in couple hours. I think the tire is good compromise as with too much detail it would only work in bigger sizes.
vishnu wrote:
hamei wrote: Don't ever leave the chuck key in the chuck. It is not safe :D

Oh yeah I would never leave the chuck key in unattended, that's the road to perdition. I meant when you're trying to tighten or loosen the chuck and the engine slips out of neutral and starts creeping. Fortunately the lever to engage the engine is a throttle rather than an on/off so when it does slip out the chuck just barely starts turning.

vishnu wrote:
hamei wrote: And for a third the feeds and speeds placard is seemingly written in Egyptian hieroglyphics... :shock:

You could just isolate the machine when adjusting of changing the chuck...
:Indy: R4600PC 133 MHz

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi
indyman007 wrote: You could just isolate the machine when adjusting of changing the chuck...

You could have PG&E come and shut off the electricity to that portion of the city, too, but it seems like elementary safety practices should be sufficient.
me, I spend a lotta time picking flowers up on choctaw ridge ...
hamei wrote:
indyman007 wrote: You could just isolate the machine when adjusting of changing the chuck...

You could have PG&E come and shut off the electricity to that portion of the city, too, but it seems like elementary safety practices should be sufficient.

Elementary is good, it means everyone understands.
:Indy: R4600PC 133 MHz

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi
hamei wrote:

Like for example just stomping on the brake... :P
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:

:Tezro: :Octane2: