SGI: Computer Graphics

Sick and Tired of Maya, want to move to Blender

I am considering running Blender on my SGI Origin 3800 64P 400mhz. Is is worth it or should I just move to a small render farm of Xeon Quad Core 3ghz? I am also having a problem running 2.43 on my test 02, I am getting a cant find libs error. I ran Blender years ago on 02s with no problem. Thanks.
do yourself a big favor and stay with maya + the origin :D
r-a-c.de
Seconded.

I am not excesively qualified on this. But I have both Blender and Maya and I prefer Maya by a long way.
I use Blender 'cos Maya is not available on Solaris 10. But Maya is way ahead on my Octane.

You milage may vary.

#include <std/disclaimer>

Regan
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000
Thirded. Going from Maya to Blender would be a big step backwards. What exactly are you "sick" of? Can't imagine that Blender would offer any capabilities that Maya lacks.
First the cost, AD wants $200K for 30 seats of Maya8U. Second upgrade costs, I have been a user since PA5 and Maya1, and AD wants the full retail to upgrade from MAYA6 to Maya8, plus dropping Irix. Thanks. What professional software is still out there that supports Irix, I may be beating a dead horse, I guess. Thanks.
Hmmm,

maybe it would be an idea to order platinum support in retrospect ? Yould be somewhat cheaper ... dunno.

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans
sciencedata wrote: First the cost, AD wants $200K for 30 seats of Maya8U. Second upgrade costs, I have been a user since PA5 and Maya1, and AD wants the full retail to upgrade from MAYA6 to Maya8, plus dropping Irix. Thanks. What professional software is still out there that supports Irix, I may be beating a dead horse, I guess. Thanks.

of course. that's an individual choice.
you have to decide if you 'need' maya above 6.5 or not. anyhow if you decide you do need v8 you can definitely forget blender.
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote:
sciencedata wrote: First the cost, AD wants $200K for 30 seats of Maya8U. Second upgrade costs, I have been a user since PA5 and Maya1, and AD wants the full retail to upgrade from MAYA6 to Maya8, plus dropping Irix. Thanks. What professional software is still out there that supports Irix, I may be beating a dead horse, I guess. Thanks.

of course. that's an individual choice.
you have to decide if you 'need' maya above 6.5 or not. anyhow if you decide you do need v8 you can definitely forget blender.

I don't agree to that one. If you just go to the site and read the approvements made in the last versions you'll see that there are some genius math in Blender. It's on its way to become high-end.
yea agreed, blender rocks.. you just gota know how t use it. i dumped maya now i use blender

and i work on feature films.. so ha
:Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2+: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Onyx:
humm, i will take this discussion with lot of precautions, is not i`m defending maya, but ... the main question iz for what you need the app, what you are trying to do with it in what time, how complex is the task, etc ... either i`m not defending autodesk and their policy with customers, maybe some things are needed to be fixed, but the maya itself is an institution. maybe the tomorrow is shining for blender, and maybe become the defacto standard, until then maya IS and will be the production standard. and yes the learning curve is very hard cause of its complexity and features... and for the end, at this stage both apps CAN`T be compared, you can do things in maya you can`t with blender, i`m not an maya guru, and maybe currently using only 1% of its features but that`s for shure.
The rallying cry at Autodesk is probably `let's stay in front of Blender!' And they'll do it technology-wise, but it's always tough to compete with a zero dollar and zero cent price tag... ;)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: The rallying cry at Autodesk is probably `let's stay in front of Blender!' And they'll do it technology-wise, but it's always tough to compete with a zero dollar and zero cent price tag... ;)

...Or buy them out... :twisted:

Jacques
No SGI box currently...Snif!
>> ..Or buy them out... :twisted:

I suppose they could make Ton Roosendaal an offer he can't refuse... :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
JacquesT wrote:
vishnu wrote: The rallying cry at Autodesk is probably `let's stay in front of Blender!' And they'll do it technology-wise, but it's always tough to compete with a zero dollar and zero cent price tag... ;)

...Or buy them out... :twisted:

Ah, you've noticed the Autodesk business model also ! It's called innovation by checkbook ...
give3n the way Ton structured the use of a Netherlands foundation for Blender there shouldn't be a way to by it out. but, i'm not certain.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
As my old history teacher used to say, 'everything in life is for sale, even life itself'.

But back to the topic, I think Maya will only benefit from 3rd party plugins or 'incorporated' technologies that are provided via AutoDesk 'acquisitions' in the future. The same route has been followed with 3Dstudio, AutoCAD etc. They (AutoDesk) add very little development to their portfolio of programs, mostly developing the UI, for better or worse. And then there is the fact that to enjoy all these 'updates', you are expected to take out a year-by-year subscription, which in my opinion is over-valued for the updates you get in that year.

I can see Blender growing at a steady rate though as the developers are focussed on their users, and the feedback given on forums, bug reports, conventions, smaller studios, and industry standards. I think Blender will move forward quite quickly, while Autodesk will throw enough money around to buy new technologies for Maya.

Maya does have the benefit of a 'history' from Alias, which in the eyes and pockets of the industry is seen as a stable foundation. Your big studio's will keep using Maya, but I think Blender will start to creep in (and has crept in!) for smaller tasks in studios, once enough confidence is built up to prove that it is production ready (which I believe it is).

Just my 2 pence... ;)

Jacques.
No SGI box currently...Snif!
As a postproduction house we decided to use blender for most of our 3D work.
Since it can be installed on every machine we have ( 30+ ) without having to worry
about licences.
And through the effort of the opensource community the features and quality increases by the day....

In my humble opinion I believe the day will come that it will outrun Maya economically speaking :!:
I can feel it, my mind is going ....