SGI: Computer Graphics

Blender Irix Development - Page 6

Well I ended up solving the problem (more circumvent it) by following the information
in this link:

http://www.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/educatio ... /ch04.html

I just used -no_prelink -ptused, and everything else fell in place.

I will put an update once 2.45 is officially released.

Thanks!

1 Indigo R3k-33 32MB XS24-Z;
1 Indy R5k-180 256MB XZ;
1 Indy R4k-175 64MB XL;
2 Indigo2 R10k-195 512MB MaxImpact;
2 Indigo2 R4k-200 256MB (XL+Extreme);
2 Octane Dual R12K-300 1024MB (MXI+V6).
Thanks Charles,

Looking forward to the new 2.45 release.
And many thanks for your effort in keeping this juwel available for us IRIX geeks ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Ran across an interesting, if not slightly dated <circa 2001>, comparison between an Onyx2 with IR graphics and nVidia GEforce2, Quadro2MXR, and TNT graphics boards . The tests were done at the Electronic Visualization Lab < EVL > of the University of Illinois at Chicago .

Browsing around that site lead to another point of interest , EVL invented the CAVE virtual reality theater in 1992 , a technology sometimes powered by SGI hardware. I'm not sure how much SGI hardware is still in use there, but I did find a student guide on the use of the editing suite with mention of using Orion/Sirius and VCP .

Any current/former students in the house who could offer any insights or comments?

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Blender 2.45 has been released!

http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/

Let me know if anyone find any errors.

Thanks,

Woo!. I noticed last night though, playing with 2.44 that I downloaded (haven't tried compiling it myself) that on my origin 2400, if I start it using 8 threads, when the job first starts, it uses 8 processors, but after the first tile of the matrix finishes, that processor never gets another job, so the majority of the render runs with only 7 processors. Is this a known issue or just normal (but odd, IMHO) behavior?

Only thing that came to my mind that some .svn directories are included (e.g. blender-2.45-irix-6.5-mips/.blender/scripts/.svn and others).

greetings and thanks a lot for your efforts!
lhaza wrote: Only thing that came to my mind that some .svn directories are included (e.g. blender-2.45-irix-6.5-mips/.blender/scripts/.svn and others).

Yeah, the .svn directories seem to be present in all releases (it was the "make release"
command that I used); not sure why, but nothing to worry about.

Glad you are enjoying it!
Charles
SGI still does new CAVE installations, even today.

All Rights Reserved.
Very interesting, I like that benchmark, would like to know if there is something bit newer Fuel or Terzo vs. GF FX, 6800, etc. :->
When time permits I'll run a IR4 vs Quadro FX 5600. Mostly numbers problably won't favor the IR4, but there still might be a few surprises! :)

SGI just finished installing a CAVE for us this past month.
squeen wrote:
SGI just finished installing a CAVE for us this past month.

If it's permissible, I'd be interested to read what components are in a recent SGI Cave and how they're configured. While I'm asking, most of the photos you see of a cave are of the display(s) - it'd be nice to see some of the underlying hardware. There's a photos <and a brief slideshow> at EVL, but you really can't see very much detail.

Ran across a few more cave links including some that might interest gamers. Paul Rajlich, a research programmer at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications <NCSA> ported a virtual-reality version of Quake II to Cave powered by a twelve processor, four-pipe Onyx2.
Paul Rajlich wrote:
There's something to be said for seeing the monsters from Quake II life-size. A tank monster is a lot more intimidating when he is standing right in front of you, and your head is barely above his waist!

Here's an interview with Paul Rajlich on Gamespot.com , and some additional info by Rajlich hosted on NCSA's site.