Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Trying to "Hack" Into an SGI Octane - Page 2

It's also possible that the 6.4 media (the miniroot on the 6.4 CDROM) doesn't understand the version of the filesystem that's on the boot disk. If you use new enough install media it should understand it fine.

you can use the "shell" option from the install program to get a prompt, and then "vi /root/etc/passwd" to edit the passwords.
You said you were familiar with OSX command line stuff, but I don't know if you also know vi; you can move the cursor to the letter after the first : in "root:...:0:0:..." and keep hitting x until you clear that field. (so it reads "root::0:0:..."
the cursor keys are hjkl
then type :wq to save and quit

However, if the first field after root is literally "x", then you need to edit /etc/shadow instead

With the root password cleared, you can boot "single" and then change the other accounts passwords with "passwd username"
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
So what was the outcome? Are you in?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
http://www.felixnmr.com/requirements.htm

System Requirements
SGI: IRIX 6.5.19-6.5.24 on R10000 and higher
• Linux: Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 2.1 and WS 3.0 on Intel Pentium III and higher (32-bit support only)
• Linux Graphics: NVidia Quadro4 980 XGL and Quadro4 FX1100 graphics cards using appropriate drivers from
NVidia
• Windows: Windows 2000 SP3 and SP4, XP SP1 and SP2 on Intel Pentium III and higher (32-bit support only)

Complementary Software
• NMR Refine DGII, NMR Refine Advanced, and NMR X-PLOR (all of which are Insight II modules that are available
only on SGI and not on Linux)

NMR Refine DGII provides an entry-level option into NMR refinement software with capabilities for generating
structures from NMR-derived distance and dihedral restraints.
NMR Refine Advanced expands the refinement capabilities found in NMR Refine DGII to include simulated
annealing and restrained molecular mechanics and dynamics (MD Schedule), refinement of NOE intensities
using hybrid-matrix approaches (IRMA), direct refinement of NOE volumes (NOE-MD), an interface to back-
calculating 2D NOESY crosspeak intensities (NOE Simulate), and a spreadsheet method of analyzing NMR-
related structural and dynamical molecular parameters (Query).
NMR X-PLOR streamlines the steps in structure determination of biomolecules using NMR derived data.
• CNX-NMR

8-)
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
:o
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
uunix wrote: So what was the outcome? Are you in?

Not yet-haven't had another chance to "play" with it.
I can't provide any insight, but nice to know I'm not the site n00b anymore. :D

Welcome to Neko Bunn....these folks are pretty cool and helpful.

Aaron
Linux should be able to mount those XFS partitions and then you can aim john the ripper at the passwd file in last recourse. OS X can't mount XFS partitions.
noth wrote: Linux should be able to mount those XFS partitions and then you can aim john the ripper at the passwd file in last recourse. OS X can't mount XFS partitions.

Not necessarily.

Linux only understands the XFS v2 'on disk' format, the default since ~ IRIX 6.5.14. If these systems shipped from the factory with something older they will have the older on-disk format and Linux will not mount it, even if the Octanes currently run a more recent version of IRIX.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Okay, I apologize again for asking what are probably stupid and obvious questions, but I feel like I'm quite a bit out of my element on this one even though I'm not a complete Unix noobie.

I was able to boot from an Irix 6.5 disk and it was reported to me that the drives mounted okay. Here's where I'm stuck-I spent a bunch of time yesterday typing in commands and trying to find the password file, but couldn't get to it. I decided to start fresh, and would appreciate it if someone might be able to give me some guidance.

The OS is on drive 0(bottom bay), and as best as I can tell all the user accounts on drive 2(topmost bay). I know that when I pulled the top drive, I was prompted with a login scree with no accounts visible and also got an error about accounts not being found. The computer would not boot at all when the drive currently in bay 2 was put in bay 0 and the other drive removed completely.

I'm just hoping that my "prize" from all of this work might be a(currently not working) O2.
The user password file should be located on the root drive /etc/passwd & [/etc/shadow??]

You only need worry about the root password at first, since once logged in you can change all others.

The fact that you can see no user accounts with the top drive removed, may because the user login accounts profile/area is stored in the top drive?
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
uunix wrote: The fact that you can see no user accounts with the top drive removed, may because the user login accounts profile/area is stored in the top drive?

I think that's the case. In any case, I'm off to try again. Thank you!
From the Admin> menu in the photo, choose '6' (sh)

You now have a shell in the installer environment

You can chroot into the harddisk using:

Code: Select all

chroot /root /bin/sh

(this assumes the hard disk is mounted under /root)

Once you're chrooted into the system disk, issue

passwd root

and change the password to your choice.

Type cntrl-D (or 'exit') twice and you're back in the 'Admin>' menu

Reboot the system and boot from hard disk.

PS: Don't forget to create (and use!) a normal account for daily use.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Okay, I found both passwd and shadow in the /root/etc/ directory. When I type in either of these, I get "permission denied"
Is vi available at that point?
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
jan-jaap wrote: From the Admin> menu in the photo, choose '6' (sh)

You now have a shell in the installer environment

You can chroot into the harddisk using:

chroot /root /bin/sh

(this assumes the hard disk is mounted under /root)

Once you're chrooted into the system disk, issue

passwd root

and change the password to your choice.

Type cntrl-D (or 'exit') twice and you're back in the 'Admin>' menu

Reboot the system and boot from hard disk.

PS: Don't forget to create (and use!) a normal account for daily use.

Perfect!

Thank you!
:D Hooray :D
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
And, I'm in! I ended up just resetting the passwords on existing accounts rather than creating new ones.

Thank you all again for your help. I'll probably be coming back for help with the O2 :)
Excellent, now back up everything in /var/flexlm/ :-)
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
and pm it to me for safe keeping ;)
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
With a cryptohash of its mac address, sgi serial number and the address of the manufacturing facility in Chippewa Falls Wisconsin... :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...